2021 Sam2 6.8 Rear shock set up

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Hi All
Not noticed any limitations in my setup. It seems very supportive and active, so no complaints so far, but early days.
Just curious to know what others have done as the FOLD system is regressive for first 3rd, then progressive, which probably means it is more coil orientated in reality, but I ca't be arsed with swapping springs, etc.
I'm 90-95 kgs and on a large.
I set sag to 35% with all my weight on the seat and just gently lift my feet off the ground. This works out at 250 psi. I don't like the 'get in riding position' method as it is inconsistent.
I've not hit massive jumps on it yet, but the typical stuff I do hit I've still got about 10mm of the 65mm shock travel left, so could do with less air. I'm going to open the can and remove any spacers if any are in there, but I have been told they come empty.

Just curious as to what others are finding.
Thanks

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Focus have told me that for a 95kg rider the air pressure should be 213-232 psi.
I'll give it a try.

Apparently there is a chart on their website. I can't find it...

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Seems like I’m chatting to myself, but just in case anyone is interested in the future…

I set it to 215 psi.
With my sag method of all my weight on seat it’s at 40%
As best as I can tell in a dynamic riding position it’s at 30%
Looks bang on the transition point. If I start bottoming out I’ll bump it up a few psi, but the FOLD system is very progressive at the later part of the stroke.
Just need to ride it now.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
%Sag is only a starting point, not an end in itself. Once first set, I ride the bike and adjust from there based upon how it feels to ride. Given the relative inaccuracy of %sag setting due to the distribution of body weight, body position, setting methods... and so forth. the %sag cannot be the end point. It has to be how it performs. But on a new bike or with new suspension components, % sag is where I start, every time.

Once I have found my preferred position, I record the sag in mm and use that as starting point after a service, or just as a quick maintenance check.

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Yep, all true but still keen to understand where others have ended up. Cheers

Had a brief ride today and did some landings to flat and used all the travel. However, the mid stroke position is really nice and supple.
We I’ll increase to 225 psi and see how it goes. If it needs more end of stroke support I’ll stick a spacer in as I like the mid stroke feel now at this pressure.

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
So i was bottoming out at 215 psi and on inspection I had 2 spacers in the shock. I tried 225 psi but the lovely supple feeling disappeared, so I have put another spacer in and set to 210 psi.
Feels lovely and supple again, and not bottoming out but will keep an eye on it.
Cheers

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Started to get a bit more ambitious hitting bigger stuff, and on flatter landings was bottoming out. I've now fitted a gnar dog and 2 tokens in the shock and set it to 225 psi. Not quite as supple now but still happy enough, especially as I can slam off anything now and i'm not quite bottoming out.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Started to get a bit more ambitious hitting bigger stuff, and on flatter landings was bottoming out. I've now fitted a gnar dog and 2 tokens in the shock and set it to 225 psi. Not quite as supple now but still happy enough, especially as I can slam off anything now and i'm not quite bottoming out.

Really interesting read mate, I’ve been really lucky tbh I’m only 155lbs kitted up and and currently just run stock spacers and 150psi and it’s felt amazing

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles