Levo Gen 2 2021 Levo Comp Cracking/Creaking low miles

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
My 21' levo comp with 250 miles has been cracking and creaking(just recently started), I thought from the rear end/chain/cassette/derailleur.

Had a shop look at it and adjusted/checked derailleur, pivots, etc with no change. I have adjusted derailleur multiple times myself, including B screw details all per the manual. Checked cage bend with another stock slx derailleur. I changed(one at a time) another used but similar mile 21' levo wheel, new chain in two different lengths per manual, and new cassette(cleaned outside of freehub before install and verified all cogs/spacers correct) with no difference in sound. I then wanted to get to the point faster and replaced new derailleur and hanger at the same time. Same crickily crackily sound when under load in the high end of the gearing under load pedaling with no motor on.

I was then positive it was the hub.... I thought I was going to have that old style rotating gear/freehub, but was surprised that when pulled off it wasnt dry, dirty or have any rust intrusion. It also is the regular pawl Shimano MT510-B hub with factory grease.... I dont see/feel anything wrong with it or the bearings....

doneee done done done donnneeeee?

I am now thinking that the creaking and cracking is actually coming from the motor. I checked and it was manufactured in early 2020 even though the bike is a 21'...

Anyone else have the same issue or advice? Shops are way out(months) on service around here.... Thanks!

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
damaged or loose chainwheel or crank? Always difficult to interpret the way in which different people describe noises but creaking is usually a loose metal to metal connection ( crank arm to crank/chainwheel to crank) and a cracking sound is typical of that loose connection moving under load. So my best guess would one or both cranks.

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
I think I found a bad bearing in the freehub, nearest to the end, 6802 2rs. Hoping to get one in hand tomorrow and get her back riding for a test. Ill report back.

cleoent

Aug 25, 2020
NorCal
chased down a creak for months. Finally gave up and asked shop to pull motor. Clean, lube, mount motor. They did and it seems to have fixed it. I cleaned and lubed everything else.

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
OK, After replacing the end bearing in the freehub, all was good so I went for a lengthy ride. 3 bars left on my battery and on the last trail back I shifted up to high gear about to descend. I guess I pedaled a bit too hard and I had chain skip or a pop on the rear end. I thought it might have been due to a big root I went over so I left it in that gear and pedaled hard again a short time later and it popped again.... Is this normal? Simply too much torque in the tallest gear(smallest cog)? Its a brand new cassette, derailleur, chain....

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
headset can also get dirty and creak.

have you checked your B tension jockey wheel > 1st gear clearance?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
mine creaks and rattles like fuck..
I regularly have to remove forks and clean/regrease the headset bearings. make sure to do the seat that sits on the fork crown as well.
the bottle cage regularly rattles loose as well..
there are other creaks that ive not managed to locate in months and ive removed all bolts and regreased and checked all bearing at the rear and motor mounts etc etc etc..

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
Motor mounts creaked on mine pedalling from a stand still, was replaced, starting creaking again recently…

was It a big loud crack or just creaking?

I still seem to get a chain skip on the cassette if I try to push hard on the 10-12th gears. Anyone else have this?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
In which case, assuming the new cassette, chain and derailleur are all compatible, there is insufficient chain wrap on the small cogs. That could be because the chain is too long, the derailleur clutch has insufficient tension or the b tension is wrong.

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
They are all brand new SLX parts, exactly how they came on the bike.

B screw set to spec shown in manual(to the stamped 51T indicator line). Although this looks like not a tight enough wrap. I noticed the no shop sets it up this way, they all have it tighter, whether or not they know the right spec per the manual or not, IDK).

I did have a shorter chain on, then replaced it to factory spec per the manual of 5-6 links... Same issue.

I took off the clutch cover on both the old derailleur and the new one, they are both the same....

Fucking stumped.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you are convinced everything is good with the chain/cassette/derailleur then maybe what you are experiencing is the freehub slipping under heavy load. Obviously if you are in the smallest cogs that is when you apply most torque. What freehub is fitted? HG/Microspline/Xd?

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
I was considering that the other day...

I did however take a friends perfectly working 2021(same exact as mine) rear wheel and had the same popping! Then we adjusted b screw in and out and same popping...

When I replaced the bad bearing in the stock shimano microspline freehub I greased it with an extremely light grease. The popping reduced but still happens....

thank you for engaging in this conversation... I do appreciate your thoughts.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have no experience of Shimano stuff other than of course the good old standard HG type freehub. So is your Microspline freehub a 4 pawl engagement?
If the same fault occured using your mates wheel was that wheel complete with freehub and cassette or did you use your freehub and cassette?
I am trying to eliminate components.
So if you tried your mates wheel but with your freehub and cassette that really only eliminated the engagement ring for the freehub but still leaves your freehub and cassette suspect.
If on the other hand your mates wheel was complete with his freehub and cassette then your fault lies with the derailleur or chain.

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
My mates wheel was complete with shimano microspline/slx cassette. Completely stock exactly like mine. just pulled the axle and threw it on mine.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you can borrow your mates wheel again the a bove is a way of narrowing down where the fault lies.
1. Use your mates wheel complete with freehub and cassette
2. Use your mates wheel complete with freehub but use your cassette
3. Use your mates wheel with your cassette and freehub.

In terms of grease on your freehub I assume you are referring to greasing the pawls ( the bearings are sealed) . The only part that needs grease is the hinge part of each pawl.

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
Ok, so just the barrel part of the pawl where it mates to the freehub, a small amount of grease? Also in the ring clip circumference? I’ll re-do it and try again. Thanks!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ah OK we crossed over. So if the fault was still there using his wheel complete with his cassette and freehub, that leaves the derailleur and chain.
I guess it is possible the hanger is misaligned.
The chain is I believe directional......is it on the right way?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ok, so just the barrel part of the pawl where it mates to the freehub, a small amount of grease? Also in the ring clip circumference? I’ll re-do it and try again. Thanks!
Just where the pawl hinges to ensure it does not stick. Anywhere else you put grease just attracts dust. Focus on just making sure everything is clean especially in the ring clip circumference.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A fairly noisy freewheel tells you the pawls are moving freely.............a quiet freewheel tells you there is too much gunk.....grease and or dirt!

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
There was some grease on the pawls and the hub interface when I pulled the stock hub. Hopefully that is the last problem I have! Will pull all that and clean/regrease and ride tomorrow and let you know! Thanks!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
well, in the middle of this thread derailment perhaps it might be useful to some to know that I located the rattle on my levo.
basically I lifted and dropped the bike front, back and both looking for it, it was coming from the back.
eventually traced it to the cassette, the large sprockets on the spider were moving independently of the rest of the block so I just took the whole lot off, cleaned and refitted it and there... problem solved.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles