AIMG_8014.jpeg

IMG_8207.jpeg

Manufacturer: Intense
Model: Tazer MX Pro
Model Year: 2021
Price Paid: $7999
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: I now have a couple rides on my Intense Tazer MX Pro and starting to get a feel for the bike. For background I am 6' 2" tall and 190 lbs and ride motocross most of the time and e-MTB's have been a fun off road riding option for me the past few years. I picked up an Intense Tazer Expert this fall but had my eyes on the Tazer MX models. I like how the MX Pro model comes with Renthal handlebar, ODI grips, Magura brakes, and Ohlins suspension. Every time I test rode a Tazer the bike just felt right while standing and cornering which gave me confidence while riding. The Ohlins suspension on the Tazer MX Pro I test rode also really stood out to me.

I bought the Tazer MX Pro model (MSRP $7999) which includes a full carbon frame and rear triangle, Ohlins DH38 dual crown race fork and Ohlins TTX22M coil spring shock, Shimano Deore XT drive train, Magura brakes, and Ethirteen wheels with Maxxis Minion DHR tires. The Tazer MX Pro has the Shimano EP8 motor which is rated at 85Nm peak torque and comes with a removable 504Wh battery. My first ride was a cold (45F) day on some rocky trails on a mountain in Pennsylvania and I have now ridden the Tazer on some tight trails in Ohio. The Ohlins suspension stands out with such a fluid and friction free feel that absorbs the bumps and gives the bike a planted and plush feel on the trails. The forks are very adjustable with a ramp up air chamber on the bottom and upper air chamber both can be tuned to dial in the desired fork feel. I am now running a lower pressure up top with the recommended ramp up pressure and the forks are supple at the top of the stroke and still have great bottoming resistance. The geometry and layout on this size L/XL MX Pro distributes my body weight at the handlebars and pedals perfectly. The handling is confidence inspiring especially on downhill sections. For a 51 lb bike the MX Pro feels surprisingly lightweight in motion though I feel it when lifting the bike into my van. I like the Mullet layout with the big 29" front wheel rolling over the trail junk and the smaller 27.5" rear wheel helping the bike feel smaller in the tight corners. I regularly ride 90Nm rated Brose motor powered e-MTB ('22 Levo Expert) and the Brose motor has a lot of power and torque feel, especially at low pedal RPM. I have some miles riding on a Shimano 7000 motor and the Shimano EP8 in the Tazer MX Pro feels similar only with more power. While the Shimano EP8 motor does have a little less torque feel (mostly felt at very low pedal RPM) than the Brose 2.2 motor the assist from the Shimano EP8 motor feels strong enough. The Tazer's Shimano EP8 motor has (3) modes to choose from (Eco, Trail, Boost) with Trail providing a very natural feeling assist level and Boost (my favorite) giving full assist which is helpful on steep technical climbs. The Shimano e-TUBE tuning app does allow for motor power character tuning though I have not made any changes to the stock settings so far since the power feel in each of the (3) modes feels very good. The Shimano motor feels stronger at higher pedal cadence as the assist seems to increase with higher pedal RPM's. The Shimano motor also feels almost friction free as the speed goes past 20mph and the assist drops out.

Negatives: As many ride reviews have noted the Shimano EP8 motor does have rattle noise, mostly while coasting over over sharp bumps. Not so noticeable on the smooth trails. The smaller 504Wh battery has more than enough range for my rides but may lack the range needed for some riders though a spare battery is an option for longer rides. The dual crown on the Ohlins DH38 forks limits turning radius. Not an issue on wide open trails but I did hit the turn stops on some slow speed tight turns.

Overall : The Tazer MX Pro is targeted at moto riders and looks the part with Renthal handlebars, ODI grips, and Ohlins suspension (especially the dual crown forks). For a moto rider like me jumping onto an e-MTB like the Pro MX Tazer "just feels right" - like I am riding my dirtbike. Now I have a MTB that feels like a dirt bike and a dirt bike (KTM 125XC) that feels like a MTB!

SHOW LESS

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
Not really taken with its looks ( ugly) ..but then I'm not a moto rider ..
Glad you like it though 👍

The large lower downtube is not so attractive (I think ugly might be a better description!). However I can understand how Intense packaged an off the shelf developed battery pack that would be easily removeable in that downtube - a decision which probably allowed them to put money saved on the battery pack into other parts of the bike (full carbon frame, suspension, etc) and still offer the Tazer at a reasonable MSRP. Other than the fat downtube I think the bike looks pretty good...maybe they should have kept the downtube black since black is a "thinning" color;)

BIMG_8012.jpeg

IMG_7675-1.jpeg

Last edited:

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
I had the yellow Pro 2019 Tazer. Loved it, worked awesome everywhere. But unfortunately the 504wh battery was too much of an issue to get around and I had two battery packs. Had to ride eco way too much. I’ve got a Levo with 700wh battery and it’s good for around 2 to 2.5hrs in trail mode.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
The large lower downtube is not so attractive (I think ugly might be a better description!). However I can understand how Intense packaged an off the shelf developed battery pack that would be easily removeable in that downtube - a decision which probably allowed them to put money saved on the battery pack into other parts of the bike (full carbon frame, suspension, etc) and still offer the Tazer at a reasonable MSRP. Other than the fat downtube I think the bike looks pretty good...maybe they should have kept the downtube black since black is a "thinning" color;)

View attachment 78314
You probably hit the nail on the head there ..a different colour ( English spelling) scheme would no doubt have made it look sexier....anyway I'm not one to talk as the downtube on my Whyte is pretty bulky too..awesome ride though .
Have fun ..😁

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
I had the yellow Pro 2019 Tazer. Loved it, worked awesome everywhere. But unfortunately the 504wh battery was too much of an issue to get around and I had two battery packs. Had to ride eco way too much. I’ve got a Levo with 700wh battery and it’s good for around 2 to 2.5hrs in trail mode.

Yes the 504wh battery can be a limiting factor for some riders with the Tazer. I have a '22 Levo Expert with 700wh and never worry about range though I've not run out on my 504wh yet either as my rides tend to be around an hour or slightly less.

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
You probably hit the nail on the head there ..a different colour ( English spelling) scheme would no doubt have made it look sexier....anyway I'm not one to talk as the downtube on my Whyte is pretty bulky too..awesome ride though .
Have fun ..😁

Yes a darker color does help hide the wide downtube....my Tazer Expert

IMG_7675-1.jpeg

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I think they mean the one with the external battery with a cover over it - the more "pure" version ..

Or other wise known as the Beluga version?

I think it is kind of funny that motorcycle shops are now carrying eBikes like the Dukes and Husky models. Can't imagine that they will be too great at service after sale even though the mechs are much more mellow than those on ICE bikes like they usually see in the back.

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
Or other wise known as the Beluga version?

I think it is kind of funny that motorcycle shops are now carrying eBikes like the Dukes and Husky models. Can't imagine that they will be too great at service after sale even though the mechs are much more mellow than those on ICE bikes like they usually see in the back.

Yes interesting to see E-MTB's parked next to dirtbikes at motorcycle shops. It can make a motocross bike look fairly cheap....2021 Tazer MX Pro MSRP $7999 parked next to a 2022 Honda CRF250R at $8099...the Honda has a battery too for e-start! Husqvarna, Yamaha, Ducati, Gas Gas all offering E-MTB's now so perhaps there will be more E-MTB crossover to motocross and off road riders.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
2021 Tazer MX Pro MSRP $7999 parked next to a 2022 Honda CRF250R at $8099.

Or you can get one with lights for 2 grand less and 50cc.'s more that you could actually use for something other than a toy.

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 7.47.19 PM.png

But that really isn't the point unfortunately because there is such a different aspect of enjoyment that is mixed with endorphins that outweighs the cost. Of course the manufacturers could have stopped expanding the price of their bikes from the beginning but that isn't the way the bike biz rolls.

But you wouldn't think that most folks that walk into a moto shop for a bike are looking for an eBike but maybe eventually will if the shop gets known for its deals and service. But that's a stretch as most can't find qualified ASE mechanics much less certified bicycle ones.

A two grand difference in a bike that you don't have to shuttle to the trailhead or have to pedal probably will be the most popular option for awhile. But they won't be riding on mtb trails....like the guy that spent 2k more is able to.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I sold all my motorbikes (road and dirt) after getting the emtb because the freedom and ease of use means you can go out when you want .
I am now three or four years later starting to find myself missing having the power and ability to cover distance that you get with a proper motorcycle.
Also the full cost of running a emtb is no less than that of a motorcycle, I wouldn't be surprised if emtb's were more expensive.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I sold all my motorbikes (road and dirt) after getting the emtb because the freedom and ease of use means you can go out when you want .
I am now three or four years later starting to find myself missing having the power and ability to cover distance that you get with a proper motorcycle.
Also the full cost of running a emtb is no less than that of a motorcycle, I wouldn't be surprised if emtb's were more expensive.

Being a motorcycle guy myself, I would agree. eMTB's are WAYYYYY out of line from a cost stanbpoint and yes they are expensive to maintain!

I paid 9K for my 2010 Ducati Streetfighter and I just paid 7500 for my 21 Turbo Levo......insane, lol

Gold.jpg

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
@mxengineer1 can you tell us what the f is “wrong” with the Tazer suspension?

In this vídeo this review complaints about it doesn’t do well on square hits

In this one, i don’t excatly what they say because once youre not chewing gum the language of the pirates and speak more like a snake while buzzing is more difficult to my ears, but that guy say some bad too

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
@mxengineer1 can you tell us what the f is “wrong” with the Tazer suspension?

In this vídeo this review complaints about it doesn’t do well on square hits

In this one, i don’t excatly what they say because once youre not chewing gum the language of the pirates and speak more like a snake while buzzing is more difficult to my ears, but that guy say some bad too

I have seen both of those videos and from my own experience I have noticed the infamous Shimano motor rattle noise under no load (EP8 worse than the 7000 motor on my own bikes). Suspension wise I find little to complain about with the Ohlins units found on the Tazer MX Pro (especially the DH 38 M1 fork). My local bike shop did have a quality issue with a Fox rear shock that came on an Intense Tazer Expert and once a properly functioning Fox shock was installed the owner of the Tazer Expert was more than happy with the performance. Hard to believe the Loam Wolf guys would have not confirmed the suspension was working properly. My moto riding background makes me feel most comfortable on the Tazer and latest '22 Levo with Mullet layout. I just picked up a 2021 Trek Rail 7 with 29" front/rear wheels and so far after about 40 miles of riding it is kind of like an e-MTB that does not feel like an e-MTB...more like an acoustic bike. Perhaps that is the "feel" these evaluators in the videos are looking for from an e-MTB?

IMG_8551-9.jpeg

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
No idea men, but I think is more a kinematics problem than the shock itself. They comment it corners well and berms jumps and all that is his natural environment more than the rocky stuff where they do the test

The other video says it feels unbalanced with the fork, but in wich sense could be many ways.

I find the leverage and it shares shape with a very well know crappy system the FOLD of focus, wich is a brand like Cube and Haibike focused in touring ebikes for begginers and old man. The intense is more progressive however but with those two reviews always keep me wonder whats “wrong”

Intense%2BTazer%2B2020_LevRatio.gif

I like they keep with the old Shimano battery like pivot, light and low, full carbon frame, and who knows what they do with the linkage but is also that seems for a very specific trails or some. I like brands that do things different. Unfortunately is not a popular ebike and it’s hard get your hands on, wish one day I can try one. Never saw one on the trails and not a huge dealer net compared with spe or giant

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
Can you provide a little more insight how you came to giving it a 9 out of 10 score?

Here is my logic:

My first E-MTB was a 2017 Trek Powerfly 8 FS. The battery was mounted high on the downtube giving it a funny handling feel (that I adapted to). The Trek PF got me hooked on e-bikes. That bike would be a 7 out of 10.

My next e-MTB's were an '18 and then '19 Specialized Levo Comp Carbon models. Better bikes overall that I would rate as 8 out of 10.

This summer I got a new '22 Levo Expert. This bike would be a 10 out of 10 except for the very high MSRP. Love the Mullet, adjustable geometry, quiet yet powerful Brose 2.2 motor.

Then I started test riding Intense Tazer's and really liked those bikes. I mostly ride motocross and the Tazer MX Pro just resonates with me in terms of the overall feel and handling - very moto like. The weight distribution between my feet on the pedals and hands on the bars and the response of the bike just feels right along with the Ohlins suspension. Would be a 10 out of 10 except the EP8 motor has some rattle noise and the 504Wh battery is a step behind the 700Wh in the Levo.

Still looking for that elusive 10 out of 10...maybe a Trek Rail?

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
Went for a cold (25F) ride today! First ride on my 2021 Intense Tazer MX Pro at Alum Creek Phase 2 (local trail). Still loving the Ohlins suspension: plush and absorbing over the frozen choppy ground. I like the handling and feel of the Tazer Mullet layout (29" FR/27.5" RR wheels) and overall geometry on this L/XL frame. The Shimano EP8 motor (85Nm peak torque) inTrail mode has a very natural assist feeling while Boost is my favorite. Strong Magura 4-piston brakes. Renthal 30mm rise handlebars feel very moto like as do the ODI grips.

Complaints? Same as initial ride....the Shimano EP8 motor does have some gear rattle going down hill off power. The rattle level is acceptable to me as a trade off for the friction free feel when the motor assist is turned off or going past the 20mph assist limit. The 504Wh battery is not big enough for some riders. Not an issue for me, even in the cold.

Final thoughts for today’s ride: Agile handling, plush suspension, and powerful motor make the Intense Tazer MX Pro a fun to ride e-MTB.....fun enough to make me want to ride even in the middle of January on a cold day!

IMG_8710-48.jpeg

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
First ride on my 2021 Intense Tazer MX Pro at on the Green Horn Trail at Horn's Hill in Newark, Ohio. Trails were perfect and so was the Tazer. This bike works so well for me coming off my moto bikes. The Renthal bars (40mm rise on this bike), ODI grips, Magura brakes, Ohlins dual crown DH38 M1 forks, Ohlins spring shock, Mullet (27.5" rear 29" front), long reach, and short rear end all combine to give this bike a very confidence inspiring and moto feel for me. The way my weight is distributed between the axles and the feel at the pedal and handle bars helps the bike feel very natural to me. The Shimano EP8 motor is not as strong as the Brose 2.2 or latest Bosch CX but has enough power to make going uphill fun. The 504 Wh battery is lightweight which helps the handling and has enough range for me but I can see range being an issue for longer rides. The famous EP8 gear rattle is there but not so noticeable while riding hard on rough trails. The Ohlins suspension is amazing and simply makes the little chop disappear and has excellent bottoming resistance and is very tunable.

IMG_8408-1.jpeg

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Any other feedback about the MX pro? What sort of range are you getting on the battery?

Range is really going to vary from rider to rider, after owner a 504watt Devinci AC with a E8000 and a 625watt Orbea Wild FS with the Bosch CX motor I think you could see between 25-30km of range and 1200-1400meter of climbing elevation.

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
Range is really going to vary from rider to rider, after owner a 504watt Devinci AC with a E8000 and a 625watt Orbea Wild FS with the Bosch CX motor I think you could see between 25-30km of range and 1200-1400meter of climbing elevation.
15-18 miles—I guess that’s acceptable based on that climbing. The OP is same height and weight as me so I was curious his experience.
Having a very easily swapable battery is awesome. Carrying in a backpack is probably not optimal but doing a loop and taking a break to swap battery at the parking lot isn’t a big deal.

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
Being a moto guy the Tazer MX Pro just "feels" right. Even on unfamiliar trails I just feel confident and the bike is fun to ride. The Ohlins suspension makes all the trail junk disappear. The dual crown forks do limit turning radius which is not a big deal on faster sections but I have run out of radius a few times going super slow on technical stuff - moving the bars back and forth to keep balance at walking speeds. I find the 504Wh battery's are acceptable for my rides which typically do not involve a lot of climbing and may only be 10~12 miles (I have plenty of battery remaining and run on full power most of the time). I think the Tazer MX Pro should be able to cover 15~18 miles fairly easily even in Boost mode. I don't worry at all about running out of power on my '22 Levo Expert with a 700 Wh but that is also extra weight to carry around. I think the lighter 504Wh battery in the Tazer is part of the reason I like the handling so much - the battery weight is less and well balanced in the frame. A spare Tazer battery would not be easy to carry in a back pack but could easily be swapped out on a trail loop that comes back to a parking lot near the trail head.

IMG_9368.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles