2021 e160 slipping when peddling. HELP!!!

Daz Jones

May 11, 2021
cf38 2al
Hi everyone,

I was out a couple of weeks ago and had a crash which ended up damaging the rear derailleur, chain, and mech hanger. I have replaced all three. However going out for the first ride since the replacement parts have been fitted and about every third or fourth peddle stoke the crank arms would slip about a quarter of a rotation. This has resulted in snapped chain.

I have no idea why this is happening, i'm not sure if the problem is the motor or drive chain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Is your wheel hub slipping? You could have some of the pawls intermittently sticking in the open position. Or maybe some are now permanently not working.

Have you checked the alignment of the mech ?
I see that you have replaced the mech hanger, but a mech alignment is so quick and simple to do that your LBS could do it for £10-15. I'm assuming that you don't have a mech alignment tool, most people don't.

Daz Jones

May 11, 2021
cf38 2al
Hi Steve,

I replaced the hanger, mech and chain. It was all indexed and shifting through the gears perfectly. It was only when I started riding and putting some power through the pedals that it started to slip. The wheel hub slipping does make sense.

Thanks for your help.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have had previous bikes shifting through the gears flawlessly until I put some power through them. Then I discovered that the front ring was worn, or the chain was too new for the cassette, or the cassette too new for the chain, or the mech was misaligned, or the mech hanger bolt was loose (yes! that was a surprise), or the derailleur bolt was loose (yes, that too!)

Putting stress on the drive makes stuff bend and twist. If there is any looseness or wear in the system, it will show. Sometimes it is new components that illustrate it because the old component's meshed better together than the new and old now do.

AusE

Dec 3, 2019
Australia
Throw it back in the stand and check shifting again, derailleur cable may have slipped when under load when shifting or stretched if you used a new one

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As a bove a lot of possibilities! To trim the list down a bit, if your freehub was not causing problems before the crash it is probably OK but very easy to check/service.
Do you know what mileage the cassette has done and also the chain that was originally on it when you crashed? A worn cassette with a worn chain can still work fine but as soon as you renew the chain, the amount of wear on the cassette can cause slipping under load.
So I would suggest first to check that there are no obvious problems with the new chain..... e.g. correct size and on the right way around if directional.......... then remove the cassette and freehub and check that the freehub is working well. If that is all good I would think the next step would be to replace the cassette.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles