E160 700 2021 - Rear Hub replacement

azza89db

Feb 9, 2022
Australia
Hi All,

I bought a e160 700 second hand, love it! I do have an issue with the rear hub, it has zero noise when freewheeling.. Took to the local bike shop and they said it has a seal or something that has worn/faulty. Anyway, it wasn't packed full of thick grease or anything and its completely silent, operationally its fine but I'm so use to some noise it's annoying me not having any, also need some noise to drain out the ep8 knocks.

I then looked to get a replacement SLX 12x48, 36hole rear hub but they are basically impossible to find, well in Australia anyway. I was wondering what other hubs other people may have changed it to, and if so was the wheel still used or was it a full wheel+hub swap on the back?

Cheers,

mene_go

Mar 17, 2022
italy
Hi,

I've got an eone 160 2020 and I had broke the rear rim and was searcing for a 36 spoke new rim.
It's impossibile, the standard is 28 or 32.

Ended to broke a new complete wheel with Damil hub and EX3 rim, 32 holes.
Pur your hear in peace, buy a new good complete wheel and take the original shitty one as spare.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
oooooooooooook...
It's cool but.. 2k € is ehm, too much for a non standard system with dedicatet disc brake (7 holes brake, non standard dimension and connetions).

Or i'm missing something?
No, you're probably not missing anything. Yes, that is a huge bungle if they are indeed non standard. I've always liked the idea of hub gears but these were the first that looked reasonable re weight, quality and gear range. Knut found them to be reasonable in the short time he had with them. I'd never do anything myself unless I needed a new wheel.

OK, I looked again after thinking they probably can't be to a 6 hole standard because of the dimensions of the hub, so surely they must have their own rotors, which they do.

I'd want to know if they're compatible with metallic pads though.

Last edited:

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
Nothing wrong with it. Sometimes they make a noise, sometimes they're silent. You said yourself it operates fine. Go ride the bike!

azza89db

Feb 9, 2022
Australia
Nothing wrong with it. Sometimes they make a noise, sometimes they're silent. You said yourself it operates fine. Go ride the bike!
Good advice, although have kidney stones and a stent in at the moment, so that's possible but bloody hurts! Will be riding again as soon as I can!

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney

One of our Merida’s does that. Sometimes the freewheel is silent sometimes it’s not. Works perfectly fine. Also have one that is super noisy and the third is kind of in the middle. ;-)

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Had this on my Merida. Shimano freehub? Would make noise freewheeling sometimes but not others. Swapped it out as I was having other issues (loud creaking caused by failed washer on the freehub) and the new one clicks away nicely all the time. It's still not a loud hub but it is constant now.

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Picking up on this thread

The original SLX Hub on my e160 700 used to cut in and out as well

Recently had the Freehub Body replaced as the bearing inside was completely rooted

Now a nice consistent buzz no matter the speed or terrain

So much nicer :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles