2021 E160 - 170mm fork?

damo666

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
Hi all.
I recently took delivery of a E160 700 and love it....with the exception of the Z1 fork, which I feel doesn’t quite keep up with the rest of the bike.

I’m considering a Lyrik/Zeb/Fox 38, and also looking to increase travel to 170mm.
Just wondering if anyone is using a 170 fork, and your experience good or bad?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
On my 2019 e160 I changed to a 170mm Lyrik Ultimate. Honestly I don't think it made a huge difference. So on my 2021 e160 I left it at 160mm. My bike is the 9000 so comes with a Fox 38. I really like the 38 and do think a Zeb or 38 would be better but probably just leave it at 160mm.

Gordon

Rublackk

Jan 10, 2021
Scotland
I have a 2021 e160 300s and upgraded the garbage suntour fork for a zeb with 180mm travel and have been love with it ever since. Upgrade has been noticeable and been able to hit fort bill downhill and everything I between no problem.

damo666

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
Thanks guys.
I think an upgrade is definitely on the cards - now to decide if I stay with 51mm offset, or 44mm!

Renan Mendes

Jun 9, 2021
Sintra - Portugal
I just changed my Rock Shox 35 Gold for a Öhlins RXF 38, there's no comparation between then... Its like water and wine, saying that for a more agressive riding style

IMG_7337.jpeg

Rochefort

Mar 22, 2022
Lysterfield
I just changed my Rock Shox 35 Gold for a Öhlins RXF 38, there's no comparation between then... Its like water and wine, saying that for a more agressive riding style

This is exactly what I'm looking at doing. Which travel did you go for and did you try and source the Emtb crown?

I'm probably going to change the rear as well to an ohlins... coz why not.

Flying RV

Jun 1, 2022
Australia
I've read in Flow Mountain bike, when they reviewed the Merida eOne Sixty, that fitting a shorter offset fork for would see the front tyre contact the frame at full suspension. The clearance they said was pretty tight with the beefy and straight downtube. Can anyone confirm this?

Rochefort

Mar 22, 2022
Lysterfield
I've read in Flow Mountain bike, when they reviewed the Merida eOne Sixty, that fitting a shorter offset fork for would see the front tyre contact the frame at full suspension. The clearance they said was pretty tight with the beefy and straight downtube. Can anyone confirm this?
I've got 44mm offset 170mm ohlins 38s and they are full of it. Highly recommended upgrade. Feels so much better

Rochefort

Mar 22, 2022
Lysterfield
Thats good to know. I am actually thinking of getting a new Rockshox fork but they only seem to come with 44mm offset.
I can only go off my experience, but I went from struggling to keeping up with a certain mate, to him slowing me down.

The bike "falls" in to a lean a lot better, feels more stable.

But then thats going from z1's to one of best forks on the market, as well as the ttx22 on the rear. So its probably a big combo of both... Love the setup now.

Renan Mendes

Jun 9, 2021
Sintra - Portugal

as you can see in the photo there is a lot of space, during the assembly I removed all the air and simulated a "full compression" and there was still plenty of space

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Thats good to know. I am actually thinking of getting a new Rockshox fork but they only seem to come with 44mm offset.
I recently fitted up a set of 2023 Zeb Ultimates 170mm 44mm offset to my my 2021 E160 8000 and its the best thing I did, bike feels so much better and just eats up the rough stuff now, I also find it handles better in tighter turns than it used to. Instantly gaining PB's everywhere with only the base setup, super keen to get a mates shockwiz onto it once it stops raining nonstop here.

PXL_20220605_060103682.jpg

Flying RV

Jun 1, 2022
Australia
I recently fitted up a set of 2023 Zeb Ultimates 170mm 44mm offset to my my 2021 E160 8000 and its the best thing I did, bike feels so much better and just eats up the rough stuff now, I also find it handles better in tighter turns than it used to. Instantly gaining PB's everywhere with only the base setup, super keen to get a mates shockwiz onto it once it stops raining nonstop here.

View attachment 90513
Sweet nice ride. Is 170 travel good all around? Or is this more focus on the downhill, good on the uphill and average on the flats? Iam originally thinking’s 160mm travel up front.

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem

View attachment 90513
Have u and ur mates had good luck with the shockwiz?

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Sweet nice ride. Is 170 travel good all around? Or is this more focus on the downhill, good on the uphill and average on the flats? Iam originally thinking’s 160mm travel up front.

I rode 40kms yesterday on a mix of down's, some xc, and some climbing, honestly could not find any negatives to it all. I dropped my stem 5mm to compensate and once you are in the sag the difference is so minimal. I was a bit concerned at first, but after the first few rides it was definitely the right decision.

Yep 160mm up front standard.

Have u and ur mates had good luck with the shockwiz?

A few mates who have used it rave about them, so will be interesting to give it a shot. I also have a Fox X2 to setup aswell, so will be handy with LSC/HSC/LSR/HSR to setup.

Jun 5, 2021
Cairns
Nothing wrong with the Z1 but the damper lets it down, Have swapped the grip damper for a grip 2 damper and Z1 has become a whole different fork. Look at his as an option

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles