2021 Bosch Gen 4 Lock ring

Penttithefinn

Feb 3, 2021
Suffolk
Having done a quick search, I can neither confirm or deny that Whyte fits the "recommended" O ring under the Chainring lock ring. Anyone?

Rik08

Jan 9, 2021
Leamington
Having done a quick search, I can neither confirm or deny that Whyte fits the "recommended" O ring under the Chainring lock ring. Anyone?
My 2021 e150rs chainring kept coming loose, spoke to Whyte, they told me to fit the o ring, this I did and it’s not come loose since. They told me SRAM told them to remove it, which they did, but it will come loose, they told me this and to fit the o ring

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
whether you can fit an O ring or not depends whether the chainwheel has a recess into which it sits. Some do ...some do not. either way it has nothing to do with the chainwheel coming loose. It is merely there as a dust/dirt seal for the splined spigot.

Rik08

Jan 9, 2021
Leamington
whether you can fit an O ring or not depends whether the chainwheel has a recess into which it sits. Some do ...some do not. either way it has nothing to do with the chainwheel coming loose. It is merely there as a dust/dirt seal for the splined spigot.
According to Whyte that is why it comes loose, I totally agree with them, it’s stopped mine from coming loose - did it 3 or 4 times without it, not done it once since, all torqued up the same amount each time, but you can think what you like - worked for me, maybe it’s my Whyte branded chainring not SRAM

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
According to Whyte that is why it comes loose, I totally agree with them, it’s stopped mine from coming loose - did it 3 or 4 times without it, not done it once since, all torqued up the same amount each time, but you can think what you like - worked for me, maybe it’s my Whyte branded chainring not SRAM
pure coincidence.........no little rubber ring is going to act as some sort thread lock or thread torque device. It is a seal!!

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Same with mine - no o-ring and it has the SRAM chainring with no recess for one, so not sure it would work to fit one anyway. I check mine regularly but it's never come loose.

You used to put tiny o-rings on the shaft of darts to stop them undoing, so maybe there is something in it 🤔

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Same with mine - no o-ring and it has the SRAM chainring with no recess for one, so not sure it would work to fit one anyway. I check mine regularly but it's never come loose.

You used to put tiny o-rings on the shaft of darts to stop them undoing, so maybe there is something in it 🤔
..........on a dart the O ring merely acts as a shock absorber between the shaft and the rest of the dart.............torque is a bout 1nm!!:ROFLMAO:

yes you are right..........if there is no machined recess for the O ring to sit in you will at best just destroy it when you tighten the lock ring, or at worst fail to achieve the correct torque for the lock ring, which will likely results in the chainwheel coming loose.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles