Gen 4 Smart System issues, anyone else?

dellydel

Nov 3, 2022
UK
Hi, I have a new E160 RSX and it has been great up until last weekend.

After the first 150 problem free miles, I got an orange light on the controller and the power cut out. I switched it back on, it would then power back up, and then power back down after 10-20 seconds. It would keep doing this for about 20 minutes before coming back on and staying on, long enough to get me 20 minutes back to the car before turning off again.

The error codes are 142001 (control unit error) and 503018 (Drive unit error). Has anyone else had this issue or any other problems? If so what were they and how were they resolved?

The LBS has the bike, they have tried a new battery from another bike and it did the same, so rules that out. Whyte have written a new update for it apparently which was sent across and loaded onto the bike, worked intitially but then the light come back on. They have then sent another update across which went on today, so see what that brings.

Very frustrating on a brand new bike. I have heard of a few other people having issues too.....

Thanks.

dellydel

Nov 3, 2022
UK
Just updating this thread in case anyone suffers similar.

Whyte sent a second software update which was loaded onto the bike via the LBS. went on a 30 mile ride with 5k of climbing around the peaks yesterday and no issues. So fingers crossed the issue is resolved.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I had a few problems with mine cutting out, low power etc. The shop fixed it, said there was a few cables loose etc but nothing obvious. It seemed to fix it but I went out today and it briefly cut out for a couple of seconds on a climb, I’ll have to keep an eye on it .

dellydel

Nov 3, 2022
UK
I had a few problems with mine cutting out, low power etc. The shop fixed it, said there was a few cables loose etc but nothing obvious. It seemed to fix it but I went out today and it briefly cut out for a couple of seconds on a climb, I’ll have to keep an eye on it .
When you say cutting out, do you get an orange error light and no assistance? Or do the battery level indicator lights flick through the shutdown sequence and then the bike switches off? I had both of these situations occurring.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I had both. At first it would turn itself off but would also let me turn it straight back on.
It then became worse and I had the Orange lights and it wouldn’t turn on for ages.
No error codes ever showed though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles