Levo Gen 2 2020 TL - X-Fusion Manic Dropper Post -- Collar Removal

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Has anyone any tips for loosening this? I cant get mine to budge at all and its a slippery little so-and-so. Very conscious that I don't want to distort collar nor post so thought Id ask here before resorting to usual brute-force, ignorance and adjustable spanner/wrench?

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I used a plumbers wrench with several layers of inner tube. Had to grip so hard that I raised a burr on the collar. Fast forward 6 months when the past went back under warranty due to a huge amount of play. It came back with a note saying there were signs of tampering, fixed as a good will gesture and warranty void. With only 3 months warranty left I thought this was a bit petty. I called Customer Services and was told that unscrewing the collar was not allowed, all you can do is clean round the collar and spray some silicone. I was also advised to prise the seal away from the stanchion with the thin bit of a cable tie and shove some grease in. My advice is to undo it as above and save up for a One Up, the Company has an enlightened approach to user servicing.

Reactions: EME

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I used a plastic strap wrench with a rubber strap bought at a local hardware store. The collar was really tight but a hard enough tug finally broke it loose. It unscrewed by hand the rest of the way.

Btw, you can also use the strap wrench to unscrew the rear shock can for service.

Last edited:

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Thanks @KennyB looks like Im going to invalidate mine as well then. The only reason Im asking here is there is imo a total lack of information on the X-Fusion website. Its maintenance instructions include "Lubricate the Seal Head" every month but zero information on how/ the methods, nor does it say all maintenance must be conducted by etc etc and after 100 hrs change cable and seal etc, again zero help or assistance.

For the geeks , you may also see that their use of the word 'collar' is open to interpretation.

I use my dropper post a lot during all my rides and was thinking of an AXS Reverb as.folks seem to rave about them later , looks like that may come forward.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Tried a strap wrench but just looked like it was going to tear it. Then I had a brainwave....... an offcut of inner tube and a jubilee clip for getting grip with no damage and a plumbers wrench for the leverage. Was mighty tight and I was convinced it was not coming off at first but it worked perfectly with no damage. Definitely the best solution. :)

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@Loe Rider Congratulations -- I gave up over the weekend with a strap wrench on the basis it wasn't moving. I've had enough of this .. only thing I don't like at all on the bike to maintain. Works fine but Ill be replacing when I get a round tuit.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
I honestly was beginning to think it was machined as a single piece because it was so tight but it had to be done because it's been sticking down from day one. It was better as soon as the collar was released but still sticks half the time. Give the jubilee clip a go - it's a more positive grip than the strap wrench.

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
I honestly was beginning to think it was machined as a single piece because it was so tight but it had to be done because it's been sticking down from day one. It was better as soon as the collar was released but still sticks half the time. Give the jubilee clip a go - it's a more positive grip than the strap wrench.

Hey Loe, just tackling this myself and saw this thread. I actually broke a strap wrench on it already and was about to give up until I saw your comment. Having trouble visualising your suggestion though (sorry if being dumb). So you are putting some inner tube around the collar then a jubilee clip around the inner tube right, the using a pipe wrench on it, is that correct?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Be aware that the importer considers removal of the collar unauthorised and will void the warranty. Warranty is only for one year so perhaps not that much of an issue.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Never have managed to get into mine, and now wont work consistently .. Id rather buy an alternative

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
Thanks for the heads up on warranty. Mines 11 months old now so guess ok to have a go. Shit design if you ask me and even shitter terms of warranty if you can't even open the top to clean it. If it fails I'll def get a different model, the one up looks promising, you'll have to let us know how it turns out.

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
Managed to get into mine, but like Kenny B I marked the collar. I can live with that as it's now cleaned up and working well. Used the pipe wrench and inner tube trick. I did try a jubilee clip as well but it just wouldn't bite for me. Appreciate all the tips.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Ah, late reply. Soz Bumpy. Glad you got in though. Just for reference though (after my rubbish description ), I cut a strip of inner tube about 1cm wide that just wrapped around, then tightened the jubilee clip over that so the rubber protected the collar. Did it up nice and tight to prevent slippage and used the pipe wrench on that with the clip screw as extra leverage. Mine's been crap from day one so the regular (unauthorised ) clean ups have been essential just to keep it limping along.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles