2020 - Meta Power

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
These look great, along with the decoy. Ive just bought a kenevo for a super low price which I'm over the moon with, but for sure if that hadn't come along, it would have been one of these.
My reason not to buy commencals along with many others used to be press fit bottom brackets. Just no. But this is no longer an issue with ebikes.

Press fit BBs are fine, there were/are a load of poor units shipped with bikes out of the factory - this has given them a bad rep.

I went through a few poor quality Race Face BB’s when I bought my 2016 YT Jeffsy. I’ve now moved to a Hope BB with threaded bearing cups, almost 3 years of serious abuse and it’s still good.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I went through a few poor quality Race Face BB’s when I bought my 2016 YT Jeffsy. I’ve now moved to a Hope BB with threaded bearing cups, almost 3 years of serious abuse and it’s still good.
There are loads of poor quality bearings for the lesser dry regions. I've previously had bad experience with Cane Creek headsets, which gave in within a year due to wet conditions in Denmark, after switching to a Hope head set, I've extended life of the headset to more than twice the lifespan of the Cane Creek and the bearing still look like new when disassembling whereas the Cane Creek was red of rust after less than a year. It's just a reminder of how important good components are in wet and moist conditions like Uk and Denmark. The same goes with the suspension linkage bearings on my Meta. After one year the original ones were worn out all rusty and could barely be removed as a whole. I ordered a new kit from Commencal, and after a year they were in the same condition, and then I fitted enduro bearings (which as of model year 2019 are mounted from the Commencal factory) and no signs of wear is noticeable after 1 ½ year.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
can some tell me the height difference between the 2019 neta power 27.5 vs sx version. geo chart list 2020 as -9 and 19 version as -17. not sure how to read that.

I will say I find the 2019 meta bb extremely low. I measured the lowest part of the shimano motor at barely 11". lots of hits!

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I will say I find the 2019 meta bb extremely low. I measured the lowest part of the shimano motor at barely 11". lots of hits!
I’d say the clearance below the motor is on par with a regular muscle powered Enduro bike. My conventional Meta AM V4 has a clearance of 27cm/11” - unweighted - to the lowest part of the bashguard, and I’d say it’s rare that i hit anything in that height (and it’s even lower when i sit on the bike), only a few times due to my own stupidity trying to roll over something that i really should have jumped.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
love to here someone who owned or ridden the 2018/19 meta vs the 2020, preferably the SX version. wondering if I should upgrade mine.

I'd be interested in this as well, I'm currently flip flopping more than Jeremy Corbyn as to what bike to buy.
Monday was 100% Whyte, Tuesday a 2020 Commencal and today a 2019 meta power.
Thursday could bring up anything but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it ?

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Depends on your riding style. The SX is a downhill shredder with a motor, the previous versions seemed like all rounders to me.

The 2020 is slightly heavier but has a lower centre of gravity and looks the nuts!

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Because of the Thomas cook chaos I had to use my money for the sx to re book another holiday but Rob at bike active who is a Uk Commencal dealer has just ordered me one using 0% finance, so I can pay off when money comes back,looks like the size large has moved forward also as delivery is the day after I get back from holiday the 30th of October,super stoked can’t wait??

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Bugger! - Commencal just mailed me to inform me that the Meta Power Team that I’ve ordered is delayed a month so it won’t be delivered until the end of November :unsure:
... it’s going to be a looooong wait :cry:

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I’ve just had the same on my sx? was hoping it would be before brexit ?
I tried asking Bike Active earlier since they claim it’s in stock according to their website, but they won’t give me an answer. I had the same experience with them at the time when I bought my Meta AM three years ago, so i just have to be patient :cautious:

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I tried asking Bike Active earlier since they claim it’s in stock according to their website, but they won’t give me an answer. I had the same experience with them at the time when I bought my Meta AM three years ago, so i just have to be patient :cautious:
Yes I told him about that because I was contemplating the 29er,TBH for saying how little more it cost you do get a lot more for you’re money,as long as I do see it by the end of November it’s no worries from me as my other choices of whyte e180 or whatever canyon bring out I doubt I’d see them this year??

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Yes I told him about that because I was contemplating the 29er,TBH for saying how little more it cost you do get a lot more for you’re money,as long as I do see it by the end of November it’s no worries from me as my other choices of whyte e180 or whatever canyon bring out I doubt I’d see them this year??
My second choice would be the Whyte e150 or the YT Decoy, but since I already have a Commencal that’s my preference. Anyway I still have my muscle powered Meta for the wait... ?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Do you reckon Commencal will sell a spare e8035 battery with the cover attached to it? I’ve looked at the price of just the battery and it’s around £520 not sure how easy or how the cover is fitted to it?

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Do you reckon Commencal will sell a spare e8035 battery with the cover attached to it? I’ve looked at the price of just the battery and it’s around £520 not sure how easy or how the cover is fitted to it?
good question, love to here from an sx owner on how quick a spare battery can be swapped out.

I just ordered my sx yesterday and should have it next week. commencal called me to verify addresse and setup. said I got last one they had. super stoked. sold my 2018 meta power. after riding ebikes for a few years I think 150 travel in a ebike is minimum. for aggressive riding you need more to deal with the weight. manufacturers are catching on. my norco vlt is great but i constantly bottom it out with max spacers. if sx fits my needs I'll sell the vlt also.

i couldn't find a spare battery cover on commencal website. I do have a spare battery ordered from bikeinn. they have a promo code for 15% off right now so I took it. also got some saint brakes from them too. not a code fan.

I'll post a ride report. woke up to snow in my surroundings this am!

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
good question, love to here from an sx owner on how quick a spare battery can be swapped out.

I just ordered my sx yesterday and should have it next week. commencal called me to verify addresse and setup. said I got last one they had. super stoked. sold my 2018 meta power. after riding ebikes for a few years I think 150 travel in a ebike is minimum. for aggressive riding you need more to deal with the weight. manufacturers are catching on. my norco vlt is great but i constantly bottom it out with max spacers. if sx fits my needs I'll sell the vlt also.

i couldn't find a spare battery cover on commencal website. I do have a spare battery ordered from bikeinn. they have a promo code for 15% off right now so I took it. also got some saint brakes from them too. not a code fan.

I'll post a ride report. woke up to snow in my surroundings this am!
So you had the last one!?I like my Codes but that’s on a 14kg enduro bike,not tried them on a emtb.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I like my Codes but that’s on a 14kg enduro bike,not tried them on a emtb.
The SRAM 4 pot calipers have gotten great reviews for some of the best modulation in MTB brakes, and I love my Guide brakes on my 14kg enduro bike. I only have experience with cheap 2 pot Shimano brakes, so I don’t have the knowledge to compare them. I guess the large rotors makes a difference.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
The SRAM 4 pot calipers have gotten great reviews for some of the best modulation in MTB brakes, and I love my Guide brakes on my 14kg enduro bike. I only have experience with cheap 2 pot Shimano brakes, so I don’t have the knowledge to compare them. I guess the large rotors makes a difference.
I've had several bikes that came with codes, there good all around brakes but when it gets steep I like the instant bite of saints or sees. I have several buds that swear by codes.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I've had several bikes that came with codes, there good all around brakes but when it gets steep I like the instant bite of saints or sees. I have several buds that swear by codes.
I see yes codes with rsc levers probably have to much modulation for a heavy emtb for some peeps,standard r levers have a little less then Re levers almost feel off or on to me on analog bikes but I guess it’s what feeling you like?

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
I recently
I see yes codes with rsc levers probably have to much modulation for a heavy emtb for some peeps,standard r levers have a little less then Re levers almost feel off or on to me on analog bikes but I guess it’s what feeling you like?
rode an ibis ripmo with magura mt7 brakes that felt ebike worthy. really nice modulation.

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
I just received my Meta SX last Saturday. Great bike! The battery cover is held to the bottom of the downtube by four TINY (2.5) torx bolts.

It would suck to do this trail side, as I am sure I would drop one or more of these tiny screws and never seem them again. I am thinking of using some kind of heavy-duty Velcro straps to hold my cover on, just for ease of removing the battery on those cold nights so I can charge it in the house. The battery itself is easy, no key, just a four mm allan wrench.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I just received my Meta SX last Saturday. Great bike! The battery cover is held to the bottom of the downtube by four TINY (2.5) torx bolts.

It would suck to do this trail side, as I am sure I would drop one or more of these tiny screws and never seem them again. I am thinking of using some kind of heavy-duty Velcro straps to hold my cover on, just for ease of removing the battery on those cold nights so I can charge it in the house. The battery itself is easy, no key, just a four mm allan wrench.
Thanks for that info?So it is directly bolted straight to the battery then? No spacers etc?im sure Commencal with have that as a spare,So you’re happy with it then?really can’t wait till late November for mine?..?did you use the standard pedals that come with it? Those ride Alfa Cnc pedals look good and they are not cheap.

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
Those pedals are nice, but I ride in super rocky terrain, and after about fours rides, they are pretty much destroyed. I ordered some Chesters to replace them with. Shame, cuz they were really pretty!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles