2019 trance e+1 seat post play

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Anyone else have a lot of play in their dropper post when moving your seat side to side? Mine has slowly been getting worse and it’s now becoming irritating.

I’ve pulled the dropper apart and noticed wear in the plastic keyways which are wear items but probably not replaceable ? I’ve changed my saddle over to a fizik gobi which is much better comfort wise but also longer and have a few wraps of black electrical tape so the dropper only drops ~6cm.

Besides a replacement anyone made some new plastic keyways ?

Mike

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
You can buy their dropper post service kit for around $10 - two plastic bits, the round bit and a new seal. Then you'll kink / buy a new cable + / - lever for another $35 . ( after cross threading the pinch bolt) Then the cartridge will get soggy and that's another $60.

or you could bite the bullet and buy a decent post.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
??Movement in mine since new, about 2mm , noticed it when riding in the early miles. Don’t notice it now and it’s not any worse.
I did read another post on here where a guy replaced with a non GIANT post.

I’ll only do that when it breaks or becomes a big issue.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I would’ve thought a 2019 model should still be under warranty? I’d just take the bike back and have the post refurbished or replaced.

The only issue I had with mine is when I adjusted the overall height to its lowest possible placement - the pressure gets lost and the saddle drops losing support. Turns out the internal actuation cable was routed incorrectly and was getting pinched. Was able to correct it but I had to first remove the battery and fish out the dropper cable off the downtube clamps in order to wiggle the cable end inside the seat tube into the right place.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
??Movement in mine since new, about 2mm , noticed it when riding in the early miles. Don’t notice it now and it’s not any worse.
I did read another post on here where a guy replaced with a non GIANT post.

I’ll only do that when it breaks or becomes a big issue.

mitch, that was me - AFRER replacing 2 cables, a lever, a set of plastics and then having the cartridge start to stick - 2018 full e pro.

I bought a one up components 150 mm , mostly because it'd fit the giant lever that I'd already replaced but also because it's a more compact unit so I could go longer drop.

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Cheers for the replies boys. Most play happened as the seat took a knock but slowly been getting worse. I have a limit set with electrical tape around the dropper so the cartridge will be under less load.

I think I’ll most likely buy the service kit initially as Pdoz suggested

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Cheers for the replies boys. Most play happened as the seat took a knock but slowly been getting worse. I have a limit set with electrical tape around the dropper so the cartridge will be under less load.

I think I’ll most likely buy the service kit initially as Pdoz suggested
Interesting! I have a 2019 Trance E +1 Pro still under guarantee. Took it in to the LBS with what I consider excess play in the seat post. LBS bike shop owner agreed and said the bushes were worn and can't get the parts in NZ. To replace would be in excess of NZD$300 (USD$200). I'm no expert but would have thought it is not fair wear and tear and should be covered under warranty. Have done around 5000 km in 16 months. Would appreciate advice. Cheers

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Interesting! I have a 2019 Trance E +1 Pro still under guarantee. Took it in to the LBS with what I consider excess play in the seat post. LBS bike shop owner agreed and said the bushes were worn and can't get the parts in NZ. To replace would be in excess of NZD$300 (USD$200). I'm no expert but would have thought it is not fair wear and tear and should be covered under warranty. Have done around 5000 km in 16 months. Would appreciate advice. Cheers

The Giant dropper is great when its great but they do turn a corner quickly. The keyways are made of plastic and there only 2 of them. Most decent droppers have 3x brass ones. I got just under a year out of my Giant dropper.

What I would do:

Open the dropper - clean, reoil/grease and flip the plastic keyways so that there is a nice square edge which will reduce the play significantly. This should get you a couple more months of life out of the dropper. when it starts to go loose again, order either a Brand-x Ascend(best bang for buck) from Chain Reaction/Wiggle or a OneUp (it more bang but bit more buck too) locally.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles