Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Thanks Doomanic , I like the idea of the fast charger 80% in 15 minutes, that would also be a big jump forward. Lots of things to look forward too as ebike technology progresses ? ?

nadhorn

Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Hello, I'm from Germany and I'm just about to decide if I should buy the current Levo s works, or rather wait for the 2019 models.
Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.
Hans

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Welcome Hans.

That S-Works ?!

Hmm; 2019 will be around in 7-8 weeks. Do you want a bike now? Can you get a good deal on the 2018?

Personally I don’t think much will change other than colours for 2019 (I could be wrong) so if you get it now you get to ride for longer!

All the best,
Rob.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'd wait. If the 2019 are basically the same you could get a good deal on a 2018. If the 2019 is radically different (battery size, motor change, that sort of thing. Not paint) then you get to choose between a newer, better bike or in all likelyhood an absolutely cracking deal on last year's model

nadhorn

Jun 5, 2018
Germany
To wait 6 or 8 weeks would not be the problem.
In Europe, however, the Specialized 2019 models are not due to be unveiled until September and they may be available in stores in the spring of 2019. How sure are you about the presentation at the end of July?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Welcome Hans.

That S-Works ?!

Hmm; 2019 will be around in 7-8 weeks. Do you want a bike now? Can you get a good deal on the 2018?

Personally I don’t think much will change other than colours for 2019 (I could be wrong) so if you get it now you get to ride for longer!

All the best,
Rob.
Hmmm, I don't know if there will be any significant updates either . . . but if there is then I hope that any battery improvements are backwards compatible.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
It’s getting a 640wh battery and integrated front and rear lights. It will also cop new 29” hoops with 2.6 tyres, and 160 cranks, including dedicated 1x8 eMtb drivechain. Information is from a less than reliable source

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
It’s getting a 640wh battery and integrated front and rear lights. It will also cop new 29” hoops with 2.6 tyres, and 160 cranks, including dedicated 1x8 eMtb drivechain. Information is from a less than reliable source
You mean this forum thread? It has gotta be legit.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Unless they alter the geometry the bb is going to be very high. I sometimes run 29 on mine with 2.5 tyres and its great in winter mud but 650b with 2.6-2.8 gives much more “ planted” feel

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
The latest firmware update allows you to plug lights in to the battery now

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I've also been told specialized won't be releasing ALL the models in August anymore; e.g. they've just released a new Stumpjumper.

They will drip feed them throughout the year

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
yes I was told that as well by my spesh dealer they want to get away from bikes year by year

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
Seeing it from a commercial lenses, Turbo Levos & Kenevos are a massive success they outsell competition big time, results are above Spez best forecast, why change it when demand is bigger than offer... probably means they can have another great year in 2019 and come with some significant breakthroughs in 2020 - on eMTB what will define sales success will be technological innovation (components will sugar coat it)!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Ooooh these look like they'll likely be on the new bikes:

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 15.13.23.png

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Ooooh these look like they'll likely be on the new bikes:

View attachment 2070
I wish they did them in a 150mm, that is what I am running with at the moment and zero pedal strikes.

Yes, I did say 150mm and before you say anything. Everyone who has ridden my bike and there have been many, did not even notice them until I told them afterwards.

Levo2018

Jun 15, 2018
Germany
Hello @all here......i am thinking of buying the 2018 LEVO but the Shop owner asked me if i like to wait until the end of august. He told me that there will be released a new LEVO with a 640w akku and some optical Elements. But he hadn`t seen pictures so far...... i decided to wait until august.
If until there will be no realy Info`s i can still buy the 2018 one. It would be a horrible season without a bike but i think these few weeks could be a good deal if realy the new one ist coming this year.........

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Hello @all here......i am thinking of buying the 2018 LEVO but the Shop owner asked me if i like to wait until the end of august. He told me that there will be released a new LEVO with a 640w akku and some optical Elements. But he hadn`t seen pictures so far...... i decided to wait until august.
If until there will be no realy Info`s i can still buy the 2018 one. It would be a horrible season without a bike but i think these few weeks could be a good deal if realy the new one ist coming this year.........
Thanks for passing this on. I have also contacted my local dealer; though he says he has no information at all on a new (larger) battery capacity with the 2019 releases.
I have done a little bit of investigation into battery tech and the Levo battery - they currently use the 18650 lithium ion cell - which has widespread adoption and is by far the most common cell in the marketplace. However, the 21700 cell is now being produced and it will be superior to the 18650 in many ways - 20% improved energy density being the strong point. Take a look at this link : Tesla's Mass Production of 21700 Battery - DNK, Lithium ion Battery Pack Manufacturer and Supplier

Now, I have measured the battery pack width and it looks like there is just enough room to pack in the 21700 cell - they are a little longer and wider than the 18650 . . . but hopefully should fit. I'm hoping that the 2019 Levo release will have an upgraded battery pack that is backwards compatible with the earlier Levo models; which means I won't feel like I have an obsolete EMTB.

I am ready to purchase a 2nd battery, but I will definitely hold off in light of the rumors that people have linked here on this thread, having a 640Wh battery is a big capacity increase over the 504Wh battery.

Another option - and I have discussed this with a local company - is to do a cell repack on your battery. Obviously, this voids any warranty on the battery, but if a repack can be done effectively, then it is something to consider in the future.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I'm also holding off on the second pack, although I'm hoping that aftermarket packs become available given the popularity of the levo. Of course I won't buy aftermarket packs for my power tools, so I probably won't for my bike either :/

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Thanks for passing this on. I have also contacted my local dealer; though he says he has no information at all on a new (larger) battery capacity with the 2019 releases.
I have done a little bit of investigation into battery tech and the Levo battery - they currently use the 18650 lithium ion cell - which has widespread adoption and is by far the most common cell in the marketplace. However, the 21700 cell is now being produced and it will be superior to the 18650 in many ways - 20% improved energy density being the strong point. Take a look at this link : Tesla's Mass Production of 21700 Battery - DNK, Lithium ion Battery Pack Manufacturer and Supplier

Now, I have measured the battery pack width and it looks like there is just enough room to pack in the 21700 cell - they are a little longer and wider than the 18650 . . . but hopefully should fit. I'm hoping that the 2019 Levo release will have an upgraded battery pack that is backwards compatible with the earlier Levo models; which means I won't feel like I have an obsolete EMTB.

I am ready to purchase a 2nd battery, but I will definitely hold off in light of the rumors that people have linked here on this thread, having a 640Wh battery is a big capacity increase over the 504Wh battery.

Another option - and I have discussed this with a local company - is to do a cell repack on your battery. Obviously, this voids any warranty on the battery, but if a repack can be done effectively, then it is something to consider in the future.

Hey Tori, Agree with you on what you say about the bigger capacity battery. We discussed this earlier on this thread, have a look from post 21 . I hope they do create and release a 640w or bigger. I wouldn’t mind carrying a bit of extra weight or the battery bulging out the front of the down tube a bit. The key thing for me and as you say you, is it is compatible with the older Levo’s.

Maybe this is the reason why I can’t find any new batteries for sale anywhere in the UK or Europe. Maybe they are about to release a 640 version. God only knows how much it is going to cost though...This is the problem with being an ‘Early Adopter’ it is always an expensive habit. ?????

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
From the range extender guy
Ok ... the best option is the 252wh or 50% more capacity on your levo The complete set .. with the best cells Sanyo GA 3500 mah and the plug and ride system cost 495 € includes the new Specialezed cable 100€ ! Installation 15 min with pictures .. so I send some pictures now

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
From the range extender guy
Ok ... the best option is the 252wh or 50% more capacity on your levo The complete set .. with the best cells Sanyo GA 3500 mah and the plug and ride system cost 495 € includes the new Specialezed cable 100€ ! Installation 15 min with pictures .. so I send some pictures now

That sounds really interesting Dave, can you post the link to range extender guy? I don’t mind taking the risk of voiding my warranty for a 252wh increase, as long as he guarantees his work and the battery doesn’t turn into a 700wh plus explosive ??

villho

May 26, 2018
Siuntio,Finland
You don’t void the warranty with that range extender battery, because you’ll have a cable with which you can always get the bike back in to stock form.

I was also in touch with him earlier this week, but I think 495 eur + shipping is a bit too much... Not that I wouldn’t pay for quality, but I need to think that how often I’d really need the extra capacity.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I found him on facebook the group is called levo range externders the guys name is danny de neve you can also find him on messanger
Hes avreally nice guy and the work looks top class

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles