2019 Levo Alum vs Carbon

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
Hi Guys, curious if anyone has ridden a similar spec aluminum and carbon levo back to back. Doesn't anyone noticed a difference? The main thing I am concerned with is the vibration dampening that carbon normally provides. The 2020 comp is temping but I'm not sure about going back to alum. I've got a '18 carbon comp with a bunch of upgrades.

Fridge

Nov 17, 2018
Northeast
Me and my mate have both between us, the only thing that feels different to me is lifting the front end, mine is aluminium and is noticeably heavier.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I've got exactly the same question as the op. Looking hard at the 2020 Comp and Expert and can't help but wonder if the difference in price might be better spent on more/better upgrades. But even after upgrades it would still be an aluminum frame.

Don't get me wrong I rode an original crazy-stiff full-hard aluminum Mountain Klein for 18 years. I switched to carbon when I went to fs mostly for the weight savings rather than feel. But I could lose the difference in weight between the comp and expert, even with no upgrades, just by skipping a meal or two ;)

I'm an old fart that currently does mostly xc single track at altitude with lots of elevation gain. I try to keep my wheels on the ground more than in the air and only go as fast downhill as I'm willing to crash (well maybe fudging a little there). But I'm guessing that the days of neverending expensive component upgrades to get the latest or lightest might be behind me. I mainly just want to get out and ride some of the trails I tend to avoid lately because of the uphill grinds. I can still do them human only powered, but they aren't quite as fun anymore. For that purpose, I'm thinking that even a stock comp would probably provide a grin just as big as an S-Works.

Finally, with some of the 2020 component changes such as putting a (admittedly bottom model) Lyrik on the comp, there might be other options for upgrades like doing a charger 2.1 RC2 upgade kit for lots less money than a full fork swap.

Please, somebody, convince me I won't miss the carbon bling by taking the more sensible option ;)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Carbon is such a non descript .....you may as well call it plastic. I would want to know a lot more about the layup, composite, grade, resin, and jointing method before buying anything made in a carbon composite. More than anything else in a MTB I would want to know what layup is used in areas prone to rock/stone strikes. I use a lot of 100% T800 carbon components for windsurfing....light with very fast reflex but often impossible to know if any impact causes structural damage which can lead to sudden failure at any time....so it needs looking after. No way I would opt for carbon for a MTB.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I think it depends on load & stress induced by rider weight, skill level (either end of the spectrum), aggressiveness, speed, drops etc. If you’re off the Richter on any of the above then I agree stay away from carbon. It’s the way it shatters that matters

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Carbon should take that sort of stress provided it has not suffered any impact damage and the type and orientation of the layup takes account of where stiffness is required and where flex is needed. A boom and mast for windsurfing undergo enormous stresses. The best designed and most reliable are not cheap. The joints are likely to be the weakest points. It is impact damage which is the problem and the damage is not always visible.

sb5050

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
I can get the 2019 Levo carbon comp for $6300 USD and the 2020 Alu Levo Comp for $6000 USD. I like the lower weight (1.8lbs) of the Carbon but it only has a 500 wh battery. The Alu Comp has the 700wh battery. The carbon comp (discontinued for 2020) has a 34 Fox Rhythm Ebike fork and Fox DPS Performance shock while the 2020 Alu Comp has the Rockshox Lyrik Select RC and RS Deluxe Select + w/ custom air valve rear shock.
I ride in Arizona in Phoenix on relatively rocky trails. I am not a super technical rider but do run on some pretty difficult rocky downhills in my area.
Which is the better value in your opinion and Why?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Either will do the job. The 2020 says it has a Lyric fork but from what I can tell it is no different to the Rev...35mm stanchions and charger damper and same air spring. So if anything the 2020 Ally comp is the same as the 2019 except for the bigger battery. Personally I think carbon is a silly idea for a mtb especially in rocky terrain. So I would go for the 2020 bike.

sb5050

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the informed opinion. I am leaning toward the 2020 Alu Levo Comp. I believe the previous 2019 noisy motor issues should been dealt with and the RS Lyrik fork is 1 cm bigger diameter and e specific. Also, range anxiety should not be an issue with 700 wh battery. The only drawback is an additional 3.4 lbs of weight but ebikes are heavy beasts no matter what and once underway, the weight is not very noticeable.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the informed opinion. I am leaning toward the 2020 Alu Levo Comp. I believe the previous 2019 noisy motor issues should been dealt with and the RS Lyrik fork is 1 cm bigger diameter and e specific. Also, range anxiety should not be an issue with 700 wh battery. The only drawback is an additional 3.4 lbs of weight but ebikes are heavy beasts no matter what and once underway, the weight is not very noticeable.

On paper I would do the '20 comp. I've become a carbon snob and am leaning towards a '19 expert. A dealer in town is willing to order one in for 7,000. I think I will hold out for a week or two to see if spec discounts the '19s. So far they are the same price to the dealer, no discount. Ideally I would love to have a 350wh battery and a 700. The 350 would really drop the weight. Another 3lbs or so vs the 700 for shorter rides.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Throw an ally bike down a rock garden, get up, get on, ride away. Throw a carbon bike down a rock garden, get up, get on, ride away and always wonder if this thing is going to hold together when I'm charging down the next drop off and hold together!

LordExplorer

Aug 20, 2019
Denver
Hate to add to this as it seems most are saying go for 2020, however my LBS is offering me the ‘19 Comp Carbon at $5400 USD. At that discount I’m tempted to do the Carbon vs Alu ‘20. Money saved can go towards a 700wh battery as addition. And correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I can swap the 500wh for the 700wh battery if I feel I need it. Is that correct? At this price does the Carbon make more sense?

sb5050

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Hate to add to this as it seems most are saying go for 2020, however my LBS is offering me the ‘19 Comp Carbon at $5400 USD. At that discount I’m tempted to do the Carbon vs Alu ‘20. Money saved can go towards a 700wh battery as addition. And correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I can swap the 500wh for the 700wh battery if I feel I need it. Is that correct? At this price does the Carbon make more sense?
That sounds like a good deal to me, for me my local dealer was only willing to go 6300 on the 2019 carbon comp . I got the 2020 and I've written up twice and I have no regrets. It's a good bike either way

Karel Tyc

Sep 11, 2019
Prague
I've got exactly the same question as the op. Looking hard at the 2020 Comp and Expert and can't help but wonder if the difference in price might be better spent on more/better upgrades. But even after upgrades it would still be an aluminum frame.

Don't get me wrong I rode an original crazy-stiff full-hard aluminum Mountain Klein for 18 years. I switched to carbon when I went to fs mostly for the weight savings rather than feel. But I could lose the difference in weight between the comp and expert, even with no upgrades, just by skipping a meal or two ;)

I'm an old fart that currently does mostly xc single track at altitude with lots of elevation gain. I try to keep my wheels on the ground more than in the air and only go as fast downhill as I'm willing to crash (well maybe fudging a little there). But I'm guessing that the days of neverending expensive component upgrades to get the latest or lightest might be behind me. I mainly just want to get out and ride some of the trails I tend to avoid lately because of the uphill grinds. I can still do them human only powered, but they aren't quite as fun anymore. For that purpose, I'm thinking that even a stock comp would probably provide a grin just as big as an S-Works.

Finally, with some of the 2020 component changes such as putting a (admittedly bottom model) Lyrik on the comp, there might be other options for upgrades like doing a charger 2.1 RC2 upgade kit for lots less money than a full fork swap.

Please, somebody, convince me I won't miss the carbon bling by taking the more sensible option ;)
Only one comment to idea I realised in your post.
The weight of rider and weight of bike are two different things. Your bike will not be more playfull or livlier if you skip meal or two before ride:) Of course theoreticaly your bike range will be bigger and if you skip 10meals then even bigger one , but maybe then you will not be able to ride your bike anywhere:))))

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Only one comment to idea I realised in your post.
The weight of rider and weight of bike are two different things. Your bike will not be more playfull or livlier if you skip meal or two before ride:) Of course theoreticaly your bike range will be bigger and if you skip 10meals then even bigger one , but maybe then you will not be able to ride your bike anywhere:))))

That's a very valid point and one I should have clarified. In the past, my desire for a lighter bike was primarily driven by the goal of making it easier when grinding up steep grades at altitude. For that situation both rider weight and bike weight work against me equally. I totally agree that a slightly lighter rider won't change the feel of the bike assuming the suspension is tuned for rider weight and riding style. Going even further I would expect that where the weight is on the bike (motor and battery are the biggies here) also matters a lot as does sprung vs unsprung weight (e.g. super heavy wheels/tires). For me, my daily ride has been a 21lb all-in-including-dirt super-agile XC bike, so even an S-works would feel like a tank in comparison. I'm certainly not planning on throwing it around like I'm used to with my current bike, getting a bit old for that anyway. But that's something I'm willing to live with for the assist on the uphills.

sb5050

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
I just got the 2020 TL Levo Alu comp. it As the 700 Wh battery and weighs 50 pounds. The 2019 carbon comp with 500Wh battery is about 3 1/2 pounds lighter but has less range and would cost me $300 USD more, I rode them back to back and pick them up one at a time and honestly the difference between about 47 pounds and 50 pounds was almost negligible. I couldn't feel it. So aluminum also in the Arizona sun should radiate heat better as well . To be honest, I think any of the levo bikes will make their owners very happy regardless of which one they choose. It's just how much money do you wanna spend?

Karel Tyc

Sep 11, 2019
Prague
That's a very valid point and one I should have clarified. In the past, my desire for a lighter bike was primarily driven by the goal of making it easier when grinding up steep grades at altitude. For that situation both rider weight and bike weight work against me equally. I totally agree that a slightly lighter rider won't change the feel of the bike assuming the suspension is tuned for rider weight and riding style. Going even further I would expect that where the weight is on the bike (motor and battery are the biggies here) also matters a lot as does sprung vs unsprung weight (e.g. super heavy wheels/tires). For me, my daily ride has been a 21lb all-in-including-dirt super-agile XC bike, so even an S-works would feel like a tank in comparison. I'm certainly not planning on throwing it around like I'm used to with my current bike, getting a bit old for that anyway. But that's something I'm willing to live with for the assist on the uphills.
These Levos are just amazing. No matter if the are alu or carbon ones. Enjoy!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles