2019 Base Levo going tubeless

chrisdut

Aug 21, 2019
Chester
Hi all,

I've tried searching the forum for definitive answers but came up short so hope people don't mind the post

Is there a kit form product I can buy that will include all the bits I need to make my Levo tubeless?

Or a list of parts I require?

I know they are 29" 30mm rims, just lost of tape thickness, make of valves, type of sealant etc etc

Thanks all

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Actually Specialized tubeless valves are good and the rims already have tapes. So buy valves and some tubeless sealant. Much cheaper. But don't buy Stan's normal sealant, it dries very quickly. Pro is good and Schwalbe's also

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
My 17 Levo and 18 Kenevo came with the 2bliss tubeless rim strips already fitted to the rims and the Specialized tubeless valves were in a bag with the warranty book/user manual, i would of thought the 19 Levo would be the same so all you need to do is fit the valves and buy some sealant

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I don't think you'll get a definitive answer on the sealant, but I haven't had any problem with Stan's, I've topped it up a couple of times in the last 10 months but otherwise all good (an no flats). Also running Cushcore which I expect is helping as well.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I also like Stan's, the normal stuff, the race type dries out very quickly. For valves, I use Milkit. Much easier and less messy as filling, checking and topping up all done with the tyre pressurised via a syringe through the valve body - no need to get the bead off. You will also need a compressor or something like Airshot (I think, it's a canister you pump to 130 psi to get the tyre seated on the rim). And don't forget to check the sealant every 3 months, more often of you are in a hot climate.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Oops, it's the tyre that is pressurised, the syringe and plastic needle squirts the stuff in.

chrisdut

Aug 21, 2019
Chester
Thanks for the replies all

I didn't get any tubeless valves in my paperwork with my 19 levo from Evan's cycles

I've ordered some muc off sealant and valves from eivlbay and will sort then out when they arrive and post an update

chrisdut

Aug 21, 2019
Chester
So I went tubeless

Muc-off valves and sealant

Things to note haha

Ensure once you refit the tyres, that you check the rotation is the correct way before sealing the beads and filling with the sealant. It makes a bit of a mess when you have to deflate the tyre, break the bead, remove, turn it around and then refit haha

The muc-off sealant smells lovely too

All in all pretty easy to do

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@chrisdut Did you get your train tracks parallel?

Train tracks are the moulded lines close to and parallel to the bead (sometimes connected by lines so they look like train tracks!) The moulded line should be parallel to the rim to ensure that the tyre is properly positioned. Sometimes the line can disappear under the rim. To reposition the line, let out a lot of air so that the tyre is very soft. Then grab the wheel with both hands close together and heave. Sometimes waving tyre about will provide extra heave! This will move the tyre on the rim. Keep going until the train tracks are parallel. Don't forget to restore your tyre pressure.

Why bother at all? This fits the tyre as best as possible on the rim and reduces wheel wobble. Hold the bars lift the wheel off the ground and give the wheel a spin, you'll soon notice any wobble.

chrisdut

Aug 21, 2019
Chester
@chrisdut Did you get your train tracks parallel?

Train tracks are the moulded lines close to and parallel to the bead (sometimes connected by lines so they look like train tracks!) The moulded line should be parallel to the rim to ensure that the tyre is properly positioned. Sometimes the line can disappear under the rim. To reposition the line, let out a lot of air so that the tyre is very soft. Then grab the wheel with both hands close together and heave. Sometimes waving tyre about will provide extra heave! This will move the tyre on the rim. Keep going until the train tracks are parallel. Don't forget to restore your tyre pressure.

Why bother at all? This fits the tyre as best as possible on the rim and reduces wheel wobble. Hold the bars lift the wheel off the ground and give the wheel a spin, you'll soon notice any wobble.

Yep quickly noticed on the first tyre that it hadn't seated, I could squeeze the side wall with the tyre inflated and air would come out

Luckily I have a small compressor at home so pumped up some more and the tyre popped on

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have taken my tyres up to 60 psi until they stop banging and popping, and still found the train tracks were not parallel! Now I always check before pumping up to high level to ensure that the bead is seated.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles