Roval traverse and going tubeless

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hello all

I just got my new Levo Comp Carbon and intend to get rid of the tubes as soon as possible. I was wondering how well prepared the Roval traverse rims are, do I need extra rim tape or are they good to go? If I need tape how wide should it be?

Thanks

Karsten

Levo_+_Hope

Jul 10, 2018
Peterborough
Rims are fine, tyres will go tubeless but you get a lot of leakage from the fluid as imo there not 100% sealed. Over time you’ll see weaping from them but nothing to worry about

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Rims are fine, tyres will go tubeless but you get a lot of leakage from the fluid as imo there not 100% sealed. Over time you’ll see weaping from them but nothing to worry about

Thanks, so you are saying that the Butchers are not the best tubeless tire - leaking from the side walls?

Karsten

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Thanks, so you are saying that the Butchers are not the best tubeless tire - leaking from the side walls?

Karsten
If you Stan’s sealant it can leak

Karsten
They are my favorite tires. Use any other sealant than Stans and you’ll have no problems. Stan’s can weep through the side wall

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

They are my favorite tires. Use any other sealant than Stans and you’ll have no problems. Stan’s can weep through the side wall

Thanks for the heads up, it seems like I have 1L of Stans no tubes up for sale very soon as that was exactly what I ordered yesterday from Bike24.

What do you consider the best fluid?

Thanks

Karsten

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Don’t use the new Finish Line either, that has wept through my (std, not Grid) Butchers too, though they do seem to seal fully eventually after ~50 miles of riding. Caffe Latex seems to get good reviews, and having no ammonia should be better if it gets on your clothes and gear too. This recent roundup might help...

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Cafe Lattex is really good but I still prefer the E*13 sealant with Specialized and Maxxis tires

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Don’t use the new Finish Line either, that has wept through my (std, not Grid) Butchers too, though they do seem to seal fully eventually after ~50 miles of riding. Caffe Latex seems to get good reviews, and having no ammonia should be better if it gets on your clothes and gear too. This recent roundup might help...

That YT clip was the sole reason why I ordered Stans in the first place - I'l order some Caffe Latex instead :D

Karsten

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Cafe Lattex is really good but I still prefer the E*13 sealant with Specialized and Maxxis tires

for some odd reason E*13 is not that easy to get hold of here, maybe because its a bit more expensive than the other good stuff.

Karsten

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The wheels are tubeless ready. I just fitted the tubeless valves that come with the bike and used Stans sealant. No leaks. Changed to summer tyres. Still no leaks.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford

Beeen using stans for 5months now on Butchers with zero issues.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Same...Butchers and Eliminators. If a tubeless tyre leaks through the sidewalls it is not tubeless!!!!......or faulty....or crap quality!!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Same...Butchers and Eliminators. If a tubeless tyre leaks through the sidewalls it is not tubeless!!!!......or faulty....or crap quality!!

Mine leaked through the walls on my Stumpy 6-Fattie. The LBS had the tyres replaced by warranty by Spesh, and I was advised to use Stan’s Racing sealant as it was thicker.

Front wheel was at the LBS getting a broken spoke fixed recently. They filled it with Muc Off sealant... which is seeping through just now!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Lots of confusion with the use of terms like tubeless and tubeless ready. A genuine tubeless tyre had a butyl liner and can be used with or without sealant. A tubeless ready tyre does not have that liner and relies on the sealant to seal the walls of the tyre and of course subsequent small punctures. Either may or may not have a butyl lined bead to better secure the bead of the tyre and prevent "burps".

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Tubeless ready tyres need to have the sealant spread all around the walls of the tyre on both sides when the tyre is fitted. The wheel is then best left flat for 10 minutes each side. Once the wheel is on the bike the sealant largely remains in the centre of the tyre.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Beeen using stans for 5months now on Butchers with zero issues.
What you quoted me saying was from 2 years ago when Specialized used to spec tires with the Control and Grid casings. They have been using the Grid Trail and Diamond casings as standard and Stans won’t weep through the sidewalls. But back in 2017-28 it was a problem.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
one thing to note, after 6 months I changed my wheels over, noted that the front wheel the sealant was almost completely dried out. The tiny amount left (like a tablespoon) was almost clear, not milky. Probably needs 3 monthly top ups or something.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
No problems here. Roval carbon rims and the original Butcher/Eliminators.

Rims were pre-taped. Used one of the valves that came with the bike in one rim and a Peatys valve in the other rim. Stans in one tyre, Peatys in the other (because.... reasons).

No leaks. Was easy to seat the tyre. Easiest tubless I've ever done.

Side note: not impressed with the Peatys. Got a 1-2mm thorn in the tyre and when pulled out it didn't seal for ages, basically flat. Hence Stans in the other tyre.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles