Kenevo Gen1 2018 Specialized Levo 1st.gen motor issue

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
Hi guys I need help with my levo motor issue .
One day bike just simply stopped working ,battery turn on but there was no assistance at all .
When I started searching for issue (motor was completely invisible in blevo an MC no communication ).
After disassembly I discovered couple parts on motor board (ic's) were burned .
So I got my self new/used motor PCB .Now I can see motor serial # and all sensors are working in app I ca see even battery current when pedal .
BUT MOTOR IT SELF IS STILL DEATH NO ASSISTANCE. I already checked every sensor even made better connection for torque sens. pickup ring as is not very good from factory . I checked 100 times cable from battery and ring every wire with voltmeter all connections are good (power/data) .
Last thing is probably firmware is it possible battery and new motor board is not compatible due different firmware versions ? .
Now I'm just stranded thinking of buying new analog frame and ditch levo use just parts from it because new motor is too expensive and my battery is also old .

Any help appreciated

Last edited:

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
Burned old pcb

IMG_20230802_171034.jpg IMG_20230802_171005.jpg

kawamaha

Apr 1, 2020
Monaco
...new motor board is not compatible due different firmware versions ? .
more likely the motor angle:

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
So every single motor ecu must be programed for every single motor ? This is strange as 3 phase motors in my Rc models don't need any programing with new esc . Is it there any way specialized dealer can fix this with diag. software ? This is very first Levo 1.2 motor trail tuned I don't even have handlebar switch or diagnostic error codes in MC.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
So every single motor ecu must be programed for every single motor ? This is strange as 3 phase motors in my Rc models don't need any programing with new esc . Is it there any way specialized dealer can fix this with diag. software ? This is very first Levo 1.2 motor trail tuned I don't even have handlebar switch or diagnostic error codes in MC.
Yes, every ECU is programmed on the assembly line for the motor angle. If the ECU match's the motor type e.g. 1.2e, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2 etc. and then matches the model C97272 or E016080 etc. Then if you match all this, you will have a 1 in 4 chance of it working. Putting random ECU's on motors is not a great idea because it can lead to rapid overheating.

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
Yes, every ECU is programmed on the assembly line for the motor angle. If the ECU match's the motor type e.g. 1.2e, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2 etc. and then matches the model C97272 or E016080 etc. Then if you match all this, you will have a 1 in 4 chance of it working. Putting random ECU's on motors is not a great idea because it can lead to rapid overheating.
Ok thanks I still have access to original motor case what I can buy so it should work together . Weird thing is why it's completely death in my opinion it should do at least something just reaction on current from battery. I wasn't aware this "timing" is so crucial.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Ok thanks I still have access to original motor case what I can buy so it should work together . Weird thing is why it's completely death in my opinion it should do at least something just reaction on current from battery. I wasn't aware this "timing" is so crucial.
You are right, there is usually some type of reaction. However, this could also be caused if the wrong PCB has been fitted it can miss align with the pick-up posts on the stator coils. Or if the torque sensor or torque sensor pick-up have failed or been damaged electronically, this will also make the motor appear dead!

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
You are right, there is usually some type of reaction. However, this could also be caused if the wrong PCB has been fitted it can miss align with the pick-up posts on the stator coils. Or if the torque sensor or torque sensor pick-up have failed or been damaged electronically, this will also make the motor appear dead!
Motor type coresponded even numbers on PCB are same . Torque sensor working regards data from Blevo I did rebuilt connection from my pickup ring original specialized connector is not good as terminals are not even soldered just lay on PCB holding almost free in plastic case. Only thing what is different is numbers on pcb aluminum cover old is 68w45 F1 N1 new is 68w02 F1 N2. I bet this can have something to do with motor timing.

16939058976107733987893089314744.jpg 16939059315588421554458299598110.jpg

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Motor type coresponded even numbers on PCB are same . Torque sensor working regards data from Blevo I did rebuilt connection from my pickup ring original specialized connector is not good as terminals are not even soldered just lay on PCB holding almost free in plastic case. Only thing what is different is numbers on pcb aluminum cover old is 68w45 F1 N1 new is 68w02 F1 N2. I bet this can have something to do with motor timing.
The numbers on the casting are nothing to do with the PCB. You need to look at the numbers on the white sticker on the side of the PCB to even get close. The terminals on the Brose pickup ring are not soldered so they can align with the pins on the PCB without being held under constant tension. Soldering these "floating" terminals solidly to the pickup ring may lead to fatigue failure in the future?

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
I used servo connector wired to pcb wich I can connect to soldered pins on pick-up ring this is working good as I can see data in Blevo when it's disconnected I will not get biker/motor power in app. Connection is also flexible with wires.

16939080374675420400440145250090.jpg 16939080730142456112979501396854.jpg

Last edited:

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
The numbers on the casting are nothing to do with the PCB. You need to look at the numbers on the white sticker on the side of the PCB to even get close. The terminals on the Brose pickup ring are not soldered so they can align with the pins on the PCB without being held under constant tension. Soldering these "floating" terminals solidly to the pickup ring may lead to fatigue failure in the future?
I also soldered thin wires on motor and pcb terminals to verify continuity between pcb/motor terminals when lid is closed and all 3 are ok

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I used servo connector wired to pcb wich I can connect to soldered pins on pick-up ring this is working good as I can see data on Blevo when it's disconnected I will not get biker/battery power .its also flexible with wires.
The sticker is about as close as you can get, so your motor should be doing something. Unless there is a problem with your second PCB. 🤷‍♂️

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
The sticker is about as close as you can get, so your motor should be doing something. Unless there is a problem with your second PCB. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah unfortunately this is one of the weirdest issue what I had with this bike .I also tried different cables for battery/motor connection. It was borrowed from lbs unfortunately all of them was used not new when I measured continuity all of them looked ok also weird :) .This is last thing what I'm going to test bypass battery motor connection if this is not issue I'm out of ideas .Last chance is original motor case for my new PCB.

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
SOLVED .I was able to get motor body what belonged originally to ECU pcb what I bought . I got motor body just in exchange to my original motor body. Bearingman was right each motor is programed in factory so ECU works just in pair with motor from factory. I also upgraded drive side sprag clutches to metal case one and packed crank side bearings with new grease. My drive side looked pretty good smooth and clean even after 10k kms .

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles