2018 Focus sam2, motor possibly dead

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
So my bike has been at the bike shop for the last 2 months with a not turning on issue, Shimano E8000 motor.

First off they tested if it was a battery issue by using another battery and it still wouldn't turn on. They then said they were going to sent the motor to Shimano and needed my purchase receipt, I told them it would be out of warranty by now. I get a call today saying that Shimano have said the motor is dead and I would need a full cost replacement just shy of £1000 including fitting. The person on the phone didn't appear to know much about what had happened with the bike so couldn't tell me if the motor had actually been sent to Shimano or not, and if they had manage to get any diagnostic from it.

I'm going to pick up the bike in the next couple of days. But I am left with many questions.
  • If the motor was replaced what's to say the battery is also not dead as it's not been tested?
  • Is the motor really dead or have Shimano just said this to the bike shop over the phone/email?
  • Could it be a wiring issue as this is a known issue on Focus bikes? I have had a fault with it for a long time prior to it dying where it would turn off immediately after being turned on and would take 2-4 attempts to get it to stay on.
  • Is it even worth replacing the motor at that cost if that really is the issue?
Unfortunately I'm not easily able to diagnose any of this myself as I don't know anyone with a similar focus bike that we could swap parts around with to work out what the issue is.

I contacted the guy at E-Motor Repairs – Electric Bike Motor Repairs and he was very helpful, but said that he can repair some issue but not others, so it would depend what the fault is.

At this point I'm not really sure what the best thing to do is.

Anyone been through something similar, or have any advice?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles