108 t hub upgrade question Rail 7

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
I see from my searches I only need to pull off the cassette for access to install the 3 more pawls.
all of the videos show them removing the gears first.
From what I see this should not be require.
Does the gear cassette nut hold the assembly in place Or can it be removed with the gear cassette in place?

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Remove the end cap and the cassette and freehub will come off however, the end app on mines was stuck solid and took quite a bit of persuading to come off so I had to remove the cassette so as I could clamp onto the end cap and pull it off

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
Thanks. Mine is stuck or at least the other end does not spin independently With my fingers.
I have the spline tool ordered - the zeb uses it for bottomless tokens, so I figured I’d fuss with that as well since I can’t leave anything alone. Hopefully that will enable the removal of the freehub.

Last edited:

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
If I remember right you can pull the entire micro spline out with the cassette still attached.

My 9.8XT came with the 108 upgrade already installed. For folks that don't have it already its the best $20 you can spend on the Trek.

I prefer the bontrager hubs over my other bikes DT swiss 240S. The DT swiss is $100 to upgrade to 54T and has significantly more drag than the bontrager that has 108T. The bontrager hub seems to spin forever on the bike stand vs the DT Swiss 240.

cassette.jpg

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
Yeah lots of small parts. The hub can be quite tight to release. It takes a good pull to remove. Good luck. Once you've did it once it's easy.

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
Man what a butt to remove. FYI there is an o‘ring in a captured groove for the the end cap or whatever it is called. Doesn’t seem like much lube was used if any.
Got it off, added pawls. Quieter than before.
cool to see no wear on the cassette to the hub. I guess the micro splines are good and distribute the load well.

running 108??

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Finally got round to doing mine today.
The catch on the feehub is instantaneous - seamless - very noticeable. Also noticeable was the slight lag from the motor drive now when pedaling. I'm sure I won't even notice after the first ride.

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
Finally got round to doing mine today.
The catch on the feehub is instantaneous - seamless - very noticeable. Also noticeable was the slight lag from the motor drive now when pedaling. I'm sure I won't even notice after the first ride.
The lags in the motor and the hub add up; I noticed the difference right away.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Seems silly these aren’t included and just added to the msrp.
If one was cynical they could say that they have made an after-marketing mistake - they could let you ride a demo with 3 pawls then one with 6 pawls but with an extra $100 pricetag & see which one you went for. ;)

Asnowmobiler

May 1, 2021
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
Done.
Easy job, took about 30 minutes including putting on the rack and finding all the tools. No chain whip, a cheap plastic strap wrench did the trick.
Storms came in so I didn’t get to try it out.

Minman

Nov 27, 2021
St. Louis
Many thanks to the this thread, I had a stubborn end cap that took 30 minutes to remove. But once that was off the rest was easy.

ebikenut

Jun 30, 2022
Mississauga
I’m eager to try this upgrade, because why not! I was surprised to find out that my 22 Rail 9.8XT also has “Rapid Drive 54”. Guess it was a 9.9 upgrade?

Are all the part numbers listed in the linked YT video above compatible with my bike?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I’m eager to try this upgrade, because why not! I was surprised to find out that my 22 Rail 9.8XT also has “Rapid Drive 54”. Guess it was a 9.9 upgrade?

Are all the part numbers listed in the linked YT video above compatible with my bike?

May pay to double check that as the 2022 rail 7, 9, 9.8 and 9.9 all come with rapid drive 108.

ebikenut

Jun 30, 2022
Mississauga
Sad news. My 22 Rail 9.8XT does in fact have the rapid drive 54 hub. The Trek websites (CA and US) were updated to show that this model comes with the 54T.

If I just purchase the part numbers listed in the YT video above, will it fit my model?
IMG_6150.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles