Levo SL Gen 1 ‘22 SL motor reliability?

Mattman

Feb 4, 2023
Philadelphia
I am interested in the ‘22 Levo SL Comp. From reading the forums i see that there were reliability issues with the 20-21 motors. Were these Issues resolved in the 22? Any other changes to the 22 motors?

Thanks

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
It's the same motor.
As with any other Forum commenter, I would like to anecdotally dispute your statement. I have a 2020 Levo SL and my wife has a 2021 Levo SL with the original motors in them. I have a 2022 Kenevo SL which has had to have its motor replaced twice due to side to side play in the crank shaft (is that a common issue?). My personal conclusion is, the motors are getting worse! :( Then again, my small sampling of 6 motors may or may not be a valid representation of the global opinion on whether Specialized should retain its status of the Best Bike Company Ever, but it does have a pretty good warranty on its bikes!
I still would like a definitive answer on whether or not one gets "A new 2 year warranty on a replacement motor" as there seems to be a full spectrum of answers from person to person and country to country.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... I still would like a definitive answer on whether or not one gets "A new 2 year warranty on a replacement motor" as there seems to be a full spectrum of answers from person to person and country to country.
My guess is that warranty interpretation is dependent upon individual country consumer protection legislation.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
. I have a 2020 Levo SL and my wife has a 2021 Levo SL with the original motors in them. I have a 2022 Kenevo SL which has had to have its motor replaced twice due to side to side play in the crank shaft (is that a common issue?). My personal conclusion is, the motors are getting worse! :(

Do you use the kenevo differently to the levo? Landing crossed up more ?

I'll add 2 votes to the "anecdotally dispute" - 2020 lsl developed side play just before the warranty was up, replacement only lasted a few weeks, and I'm paranoid about the third. I've been advised 2 years new warranty ( Australia)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I own the first Levo SL my LBS sold - back in Feb ‘20.
In summer ‘22, I had it in the shop for a service, and told them that the motor was getting louder. No performance issues or anything - just a little bit louder.

They put in a warranty claim to Specialized, who replaced it. No questions asked. 2 and a half years old, nothing actually wrong - and swapped it out. It’d done about 3000 miles.

New one is a lot quieter… but probably much the same as mine was back in Feb ‘20. Will see how this one is in a couple of years - although I might have a ‘23 (or ‘24) Levo SL by then if they ever come out!!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Do you use the kenevo differently to the levo? Landing crossed up more ?

I'll add 2 votes to the "anecdotally dispute" - 2020 lsl developed side play just before the warranty was up, replacement only lasted a few weeks, and I'm paranoid about the third. I've been advised 2 years new warranty ( Australia)

My Kenevo SL and Levo SL are setup very similar (both have an Ohlins coil shock) with the exception of the Kenevo running a Fox 38 and the Levo an Ohlins 36. They weigh in at 44 and 42 lbs. I ride them on all the same trails but the Levo SL is easier to ride on the steeper, tighter technical trails. The Kenevo SL, with its longer wheelbase, seems to like the faster speeds. My best trick when jumping, is landing on trail ;). I have ridden both bikes at Whistler which can shake the sh!t out of a bike but my last Kenevo motor lasted less than 3 months/40 hours. I was waiting to get it replaced in hopes they come out with a better motor.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
New motor will be the same. More nm and more batteries.

just to follow a logic path, first motors should be more reliable, due to the period when neither supply issues or covid (less workers) affected the production. Last motors should be more reliable due to the several fixes that mahle should apply after first release.
our experience shows us that both are wrong and i'm tempted to come back to unpowered mtb..

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles