Whyte e-mtb

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
I have done equally well when replacing cheap heavy kit with much better stuff. But where I first got the idea of cost per gram was when looking at saddles. The saddle that came with a bike I had was the WTB Rocket V SLT. Eventually despite loads of gaffer tape it fell apart. I replaced it with the basic Rocket V Race. It was £60 cheaper and weighed 60 grams more. Hence £1 per gram or £1000/kg. If it had worked out at £863/kg it might not have stuck in my head!
Once I had the idea in my head I started to notice it more and more. It doesn't work on everything of course, tyres most noticeably, but whole bikes in a range seem to fall into that category, clockwork ones seem to, not looked at emtbs. I'm not anal enough to have kept records of examples just so I could illustrate my point, but if you look they are out there. I guess that could be just me only looking for items that "prove" my theory - not very scientific I agree. But as a guide it works for me.
I’ve always used the £1 = 1g to see if an item is worth buying to save weight.dont think I’m gonna bother upgrading parts to save weight on my EMTB though.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I like adding weight to my bikes ?

For me, having comfortable and durable parts will make for a better and faster ride. Changed my seat and bars out for a heavier but more comfortable equivalents.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
E-150S

RRP £4750

Screenshot 2019-06-26 at 20.44.39.png

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Are the frames made in the UK or are they build in East Asia? If in UK in low volumes then it’s easy to see why they are priced like that.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
The E-150 S is only £150 more than the Focus Jam2 6.8 Plus. I’m not sure exactly how well the spec compares (still researching) but these two are the ones I’m currently considering. It’d be nice for Whyte to get a bike out to reviewers at least but apparently not much is happening until the August launch.

I think Whyte frames are made in Taiwan.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Apparently first bikes due in shops August, I understand the 150mm version will be in stores first, with the 180mm in September.

I get the impression all the new bikes with the Bosch updated motor are being release about the same time, but guessing delivery by Bosch to the manufacturers will dictate the reality of deliveries.

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
Interested to see the full launch, my wife has a Whyte T-130 and loves it, really well thought out for UK riding (EG muddy) and amazing support and backup from local bike shops, does come with a bit of a price premium however.

Keggie

Mar 12, 2019
Suffolk
Interested to see the full launch, my wife has a Whyte T-130 and loves it, really well thought out for UK riding (EG muddy) and amazing support and backup from local bike shops, does come with a bit of a price premium however.
Whyte e150 review

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Looks great, would definitely be near the top of my list if I was in the market. 25kg for the 180mm is no featherweight!

Thankfully (for my bank balance) it’s not making me want to chop in my Meta Power. Other than the battery size Bosh have not exactly leapfrogged Shimano. I would hazard a guess that I’ll be getting bike envy when Shimano update their motor and bring out a bigger internal battery. Bosh need to sort out that display!

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Looks very tempting I messaged Guy kesteven about how it compares to the Whyte S150 which I have and know is an awesome trail bike, he thinks the E150 handles better at speed!

Definitely getting a test ride ?

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Having just about decided on a Jam2 plus and then along comes the E150 RS.... similar bikes, wonder which is better...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles