Which rear mudguard for Cube Stereo?

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
Occasionally I use by Cube Stereo to commute to work, so I need a rear mudguard that fits the Cube well and detaches easily because I really don't like the look of them.

Any views?

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Occasionally I use by Cube Stereo to commute to work, so I need a rear mudguard that fits the Cube well and detaches easily because I really don't like the look of them.

Any views?
Cube do good mud guards; here’s some on my clockwork 140. Oh, and they attach / detach really easily.

6713E1D1-6605-4654-BB51-E4FBF70B3B1B.jpeg

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I use the cube ones too and can highly recommend them.
However, when mounting the rear one, make sure you attach it high enough on your seat tube so that the wheel can't hit it. I mounted one too low and jumped off a small bank which ended up smashing the seat tube attachment. I guess that is the disadvantage of 160mm travel.

preedy62

May 1, 2019
UK
I hate the look of mudguards but they are a necessary evil ?. Why not try an “ass saver” they help against most of the crap and don’t look too bad. Happy EMTBing ???‍♂️?‍♂️

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
Update, I tried an ass saver but it didn't do much of a job.

I've now fitted a rear mudhugger. It's not exactly detachable, but looks relatively ok and seems to give good enough coverage. I'll probably leave it on year-round as long as it doesn't rattle.

On the front, I just kept the stock, Cube short mudguard, which doesn't provide much protection for my feet and legs but at least keeps the mud out of my face.

fisha

Feb 17, 2020
Scotland
I've fitted a rear mudhugger, and its been great. Its a bit of a revelation to come back from a ride, and not have a massive line up the back of you, or feel like your sitting in a puddle of mud each time.

One point about the mudhugger snoozeboy I've read, and have seen with a friend's bike is that it can cut through the paint and scratch it.

I fitted mine with the clear helitape, then a layer of an old inner tube, then wrapped with electrical tape, then the guard zip tied to all that. I also lightly sanded the mounting faces and edges of the plastic as the moulding was really sharp. Hopefully that will prevent any frame damage.

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
Thanks fisha I'll look out for that. I guess I'll demount it from time to time as it didn't take long to put on.

Anyway, mine's an alu frame and has a lot of scratches. I put 3000km on it in one year and it's a long way from mint condition.

One thing about the mudhugger, it's a few cm short as I still get rain spray on my back pack. I got the 26/27.5 one.

fisha

Feb 17, 2020
Scotland
Yeah, I'm the same, at higher speed it still manages to fly up and over. I see there is an extension for it which I might consider if I can find it at a reasonable price.

CryptoBiker

Sep 17, 2018
SW UK
I can vouch for the mudhugger, I just keep it on most of the year, completely prevents my back getting dirty, and stops the dropper post getting covered too, great mudguard.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Hi guys will the standard Mudhugger 29" (Medium) fit an 18" Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC series and do its job? I bought a Medium and not a Large and won't be able to return it if I try it first, so I am hoping someone can please put my mind at ease... because if I read the specs I am not confident:

Product page: MEDIUM Rear Mudhugger

"The Medium Rear Mudhugger is nearly identical to the Small Rear Fender, but 80mm longer. This longer version is ideal for most 27.5 full suspension frames. And 29” hardtail bikes. "

Rear Fender Coverage
  • Ideal for most 29" and 27.5+ full suspension bikes with seat stay angles above 27 deg
  • Approx 640mm long.
  • Approx 100mm wide at the widest part.
  • Braces are approx 140m long.
  • Compatible with our 100mm rear extender!

Cube_geo.JPG

Cubegeo1.JPG

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Any ideas on the above please guys? I just looked at the Mudhugger by putting it on the bike roughly how it would be mounted and I really don't know if it is the right size or not just from looking at it. :(

fisha

Feb 17, 2020
Scotland
I fitted a MH rear to mine ... dont know what size it actually is ( in hindsight, i think a medium ). I was told that it would be fine for my large framed 2020 Stereo Hybrid. At a glance when fitted it is. Also when out and about, for the most part, it was too, but at higher speed, i would still get splatter flung past the tip of the guard and up and onto me .. which given the weather and conditions was annoying considering the guard was meant to stop that.

So I bought the extender doodah ... and now its brill.

You need the guard to reach beyond the vertical line drawn at the back of the rear tyre. If it doesn't then there is the possiblity of the mud coming forward. You should be able to place the guard upto the frame and check whilst its in the packaging iirc.

Or if in doubt, just get the larger one and be done. I think the larger ones can be trimmed back if they stick out too much. Mine sticks out noticably beyond the rear tyre ... I dont care. I'm not looking in that direction, but do appreciate my clean arse now.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
You need the guard to reach beyond the vertical line drawn at the back of the rear tyre. If it doesn't then there is the possiblity of the mud coming forward.

Arrgh that's what I thought, I couldn't see how it would stop the mud if the mudguard didn't go past the end of the tyre! Thanks for confirming that I am not completely hopeless at primary school-level physics, Mrs Jenkins would be proud! :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles