When to pull the trigger ?

Fatdog

Dec 23, 2018
Northern Ireland
Hoping very soon to enter the e-bike world and have eyed up the YT Decoy and also the Propain Ekano, although both have 3-4 months waiting times. With the like of the new Shimano battery and now the new Bosch motor and battery I'm having second thoughts and considering holding fire a few months to see what companies come up with, with the new motors. Any rumours of a new Shimano set up?

Should I wait a few month? Was gonna finance the new bike, but could could save a few months and buy a newer/lighter model with saved cash.

Currently have a Mondraker non e-bike but not sold on the weight of their e-bikes.

Decisions!!!!!

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
You can wait a few months and something new will come out - then wait a few months more and something else new will come out - that's just the way it is. Even if the new 2020 Bosch motor was just announced, that doesn't mean that all the current Bosch-equipped e-MTBs aren't good anymore.

Don't make the mistake of selecting a bike simply based on what motor/battery it has. I've ridden 5 different bikes from 5 different brands with the same Shimano E8000 series motor/battery and they all felt totally different.

As is, it sounds like you don't really know what bike you want because you seem to be focusing on the motor/battery spec, not the bike itself. Wait a few months, research more, read reviews, or (best option if available) see if you can actually ride/demo some of the e-MTBs you're looking at. Just like non e-MTB, choosing a bike based on just the specs isn't the way to decide if it's good or not. Good luck

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Also think about whether you want to buy a bike that is "in shops" now and you can be riding next week. Or whether you want to preorder one and are ok with going on a waiting list for 3, 6, 9 months.

It doesn't sound like you are in a huge rush since you already have a non-ebike you can be riding anyway :)

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Also think about whether you want to buy a bike that is "in shops" now and you can be riding next week. Or whether you want to preorder one and are ok with going on a waiting list for 3, 6, 9 months.

This ^

Not sure about Propain, but I know right now YT is having tons of issues with filling Decoy orders but I can't say why LOL

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles