• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered What strength of IPA do you use on brake pads / rotors?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Brake disc cleaner from Halfords, or Lidl sometimes?
Rotor cleaners: Muc-Off Disc Brake Cleaner and Soudal Disc Cleaner work well.

IPA: 8% & Hazy works well.

squid-supremacy-01-724x1024.jpg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
5 litres! I bought 600ml 4-5 years ago and I'm only now starting to run out. But I bet that last bit will go twice as fast!
I bought a 125ml bottle two years ago and it's hardly gone down. I used it once, but then I forgot that I had some that's why! Haha.

I've been using 'Fuelite' like since forever from the early days of 'cut & paste' graphic arts - to remove wax from artwork. Works great on just about anything including brake rotors. :giggle:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I would use 100% because that is what I have, but I rarely clean them. Why do people clean them? I blast inside the calipers with compressed air before every ride - they always have dust or brake dust? in them. The rotors get a bit of a blast too. The only time I'd clean the pads or rotor is if I've handled them, which is rarely.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I would use 100% because that is what I have, but I rarely clean them. Why do people clean them? I blast inside the calipers with compressed air before every ride - they always have dust or brake dust? in them. The rotors get a bit of a blast too. The only time I'd clean the pads or rotor is if I've handled them, which is rarely.
This 100%.
Compressed air cleaning and correct adjustment stops disc rubbing noise.
Be sensible tho.
I do use methyl ethyl on the discs after washing or if I have sprayed them with slippery stuff like a knobend.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Iso-propyl alcohol is pretty much the stuff used in brake cleaners. Yes, I use it to clean the discs (transporting on a tow bar rack exposes the discs to oily residue from the roads) but I mostly use IPA as a general degreaser. Cleaning up after brake bleeding, wiping over the frame before applying helicopter tape, wiping over rims and forks before applying decals.
In desperation, I also discovered that it is 100% brilliant at removing sun-baked Pine tree sap from my car's paintwork without leaving a mark! :love:

IPA also fuels the Disco Inferno!

When my pads have become contaminated, I lay them pad side up on a concrete surface, tip a little IPA onto the pad, enough to cover the surface. Then I blast the pads (one at a time) with my blowlamp until the edges of the pads glow red. At some point you will see black smoke coming off, then flames (presumably as the contaminant burns off). Once cool, rub the pads in a circular fashion onto some medium grit sandpaper placed on a flat surface. Do this until the black has come off and you can see the pad material (10-15 seconds should do it). You might have to keep blowing off the black dust from the sandpaper . Then wipe over the disc with some IPA then refit the pads and bed them in. Never fails. :)

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Typically something 8% or higher with an IBU level above 65. That's for me to relax. Then I use 70% to clean pads and rotors. In my experience, it works better than brake cleaners with Tetrachloroethylene in them. They leave a residue (even though they're not supposed to). Maybe it doesn't affect automotive brakes, but it doesn't do a very good job on bike brakes for me. Some other things I've added to my approach:

- Fully immerse rotors in a plate/saucer filled with alcohol
- Be sure to clean the inside of the caliper also

Net result is super clean/squeak free/smooth braking.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Where does everyone buy this magic solution from ?
I’ve been using WD40 contact cleaner but it’s expensive stuff in a small can
All sorts of places. I will get my cans from an industrial chemical supply, but if I only want 1lt I will get it from our equivalent of ebay.
Pharmacies usually sell 500ml and smaller volumes.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Use 99% if available.
The reason: Lowest possible contaminates. It also evaporates the fastest.

You can use 70% if that is what you have.

DO NOT use hand sanitizer that says it has x % of iso alcohol. these can have additives like aloe or glycerides that are soothing to the skin, but contaminate your brake pads

You can also use disc brake cleaner from an autoparts shop.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles