Water damage?

Tabs2000

Jul 27, 2019
San Clemente ca.
I went out for a ride and got called got out in the rain. My bike ran fine the whole way home. When I got home I dried the bike and lubed the drivetrain then let it sit.
The next day I charged it up and now when I turn it on the display get stuck on the shimano steps logo (just like when your charging the bike).
I tried to connect to the system using the E-TUBE app while the bike is not plugged in. The app states cannot connect while bike is charging.
Just wondering if anyone has any idea as to what could cause this. I removed the battery and I guess I will take it to YT on Tuesday. I’m just curious if anyone has seen this before?

Liftman

Oct 13, 2019
scotland
Water in and around the battery electrical connections, give it a clean and dry then smear some vasolene around the connections refit battery and should be good to go.

Tabs2000

Jul 27, 2019
San Clemente ca.
Water in and around the battery electrical connections, give it a clean and dry then smear some vasolene around the connections refit battery and should be good to go.

Tried that it did not work. I put a battery from another Decoy in it and the bike booted up and works. My battery is stuck in charging mode. The bike thinks it is charging even when not plugged in. I live in San Clemente so I will take the bike by YT tomorrow. I also saw on the YT website they have an aftermarket battery available now. Hopefully it is the larger capacity, I bought one and that should fix my issue and hopefully they will warranty this battery.

Thank you for the reply.

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
I had the very same problem, after wet UK rides.
Mine went back to YT Europe (diabolical service but that’s another story) it came back fixed, they didn’t update me with the fix but they did replace the display for sure and the battery looked new too but I wasn’t 100% on that.

Tabs2000

Jul 27, 2019
San Clemente ca.
I dropped my battery off at YT here in San Clemente and no questions asked they handed me a new battery. I also bought a 2nd battery but the one listed on the USA website as an aftermarket battery is the same capacity as the battery that comes standard on the bike.

BUT I GIVE A HUGE THUMBS UP FOR THE YT MILL AND THEIR SERVICE!!!!!

Last edited:

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Tried that it did not work. I put a battery from another Decoy in it and the bike booted up and works. My battery is stuck in charging mode. The bike thinks it is charging even when not plugged in. I live in San Clemente so I will take the bike by YT tomorrow. I also saw on the YT website they have an aftermarket battery available now. Hopefully it is the larger capacity, I bought one and that should fix my issue and hopefully they will warranty this battery.

Thank you for the reply.
I had the battery stuck in charging mode issue. YT updated the battery firmware and I have not had any problems since.

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
The pinchy battery -> bike terminals seem to be quite sensitive to dirt or dust. After 80kms in mostly dusty conditions, I had these same issues; the bike turning off over bumpy sections or not booting past the logo. Also once not wanting to turn off.
On opening up for a clean, I saw the battery was pretty dusty too, including all over and in the contacts.
I cleaned these bike -> battery connections with a compressor at first, to what I thought looked much better, but it didn’t actually make much difference the next couple of rides.
Then I tried some CO contact cleaner, and after a good slosh I could see what clean really looks like again, and for me it immediately worked perfectly again.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I have always been worried about dust ingression into the battery area (since I live and ride in VERY dusty conditions), so from Day 1 put a strip of 3M clearcoat plastic around the entire interface gap (between battery and frame).

When I removed to put bike away due to winter, there was zero dust inside .. looked brand new.

A potential solution if people are concerned or seeing this regularly :unsure:. I am not convinced the bike is designed to allow for airflow between the gap (for cooling purposes) ... but enter disclaimer here that I am just a hack .. so any advice I give take with a "grain of salt" :cool:

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
I have always been worried about dust ingression into the battery area (since I live and ride in VERY dusty conditions), so from Day 1 put a strip of 3M clearcoat plastic around the entire interface gap (between battery and frame).

When I removed to put bike away due to winter, there was zero dust inside .. looked brand new.

A potential solution if people are concerned or seeing this regularly :unsure:. I am not convinced the bike is designed to allow for airflow between the gap (for cooling purposes) ... but enter disclaimer here that I am just a hack .. so any advice I give take with a "grain of salt" :cool:
Can you post a Pic of how you have it taped? I'm about to use 3M tape on my frame this weekend and you got me thinking about doing what I think you are talking about.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
When you see this problem do not forget to flush out the charging port with WD40 and blow clean. This fixes it for me and I now do it every week as a precaution.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles