Trance E Freehub issues

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
It's not a bad idea tbf, not sure if it would have any effect on the motor by changing the front gearing though. I'm based in Brisbane.

I have a giant full e pro 2018, so your motor and cranks . It came standard with a 2x front ( and 11 rear) , but was widely criticised in the press for being oldfashioned / the 2x being unnecessary etc. Giant has responded to fashion / advertising / public perception by going 1x on the trance, but your lbs should be able to help you upgrade. If you'd like to go down this pathway and would like a near new xt shifter mechanism, pm me a postal adress and I'll send you mine.

Nb DO NOT go for the standard giant fsa front sprockets!!! I'll spare you the trauma of puctures of my snapped sprocket.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
I have a giant full e pro 2018, so your motor and cranks . It came standard with a 2x front ( and 11 rear) , but was widely criticised in the press for being oldfashioned / the 2x being unnecessary etc. Giant has responded to fashion / advertising / public perception by going 1x on the trance, but your lbs should be able to help you upgrade. If you'd like to go down this pathway and would like a near new xt shifter mechanism, pm me a postal adress and I'll send you mine.

Nb DO NOT go for the standard giant fsa front sprockets!!! I'll spare you the trauma of puctures of my snapped sprocket.
Thanks Mate, I will let you know. I am going to have a chat with my bike shop when i go pick up my bike tomorrow so will see what they think and then start making some decisions.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Just had mine fail, was doing the odd clunk then made a big one and it locked up. Giant NZ have told me all replacement parts are in stock so will see what comes back once fixed....

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
My new hub/rear-wheel (hope pro4) is doing fine but seems I've traded one set of problems for another and I'll admit it's largely my fault. My new wheel was non-boost (142x12) so had to buy an adaptor which offset my chainline in a way that my new Sram1x11 didn't agree with. I'm an amateur mechanic at best and made a few mistakes correctly setting up the derailleur which quickly turned into a kafuffle. Also had to replace all my gear cabling, buy a new chain & few specific tools to perform the drive terrain transplant.I'm still getting constant chain skips under pressure so will be handing in my man-card and going to my LBS and have them sort it all out. Probably the thing to do before my mental health and marriage collapse.

Also had a call from the store I purchased the bike from, to ask how my new hub was going I told them I didn't have confidence in the Giant hub so I replaced the rear wheel. Not sure if that will work against me if they do a recall or void my warranty claim. I asked if they had issues with other Giants, they said yes but were vague on the extent. I asked if there could be a recall and they said it could be possible but give me anymore than that.

how's everyone else going with their non-giant replacement hubs?

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
My new hub/rear-wheel (hope pro4) is doing fine but seems I've traded one set of problems for another and I'll admit it's largely my fault. My new wheel was non-boost (142x12) so had to buy an adaptor which offset my chainline in a way that my new Sram1x11 didn't agree with. I'm an amateur mechanic at best and made a few mistakes correctly setting up the derailleur which quickly turned into a kafuffle. Also had to replace all my gear cabling, buy a new chain & few specific tools to perform the drive terrain transplant.I'm still getting constant chain skips under pressure so will be handing in my man-card and going to my LBS and have them sort it all out. Probably the thing to do before my mental health and marriage collapse.

Also had a call from the store I purchased the bike from, to ask how my new hub was going I told them I didn't have confidence in the Giant hub so I replaced the rear wheel. Not sure if that will work against me if they do a recall or void my warranty claim. I asked if they had issues with other Giants, they said yes but were vague on the extent. I asked if there could be a recall and they said it could be possible but give me anymore than that.

My freehub body was replaced with another OEM freehub about 6 weeks ago. So far I have not had any other issues. Then again my hub never stopped functioning totally. Apparently the pawls were just sticking and skipping over the teeth on the hub. I am curious as to what hub issues everyone is having? I keep hearing of hubs completely failing. Which part of the hub is failing? Pawls breaking? Teeth stripping?

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand

Hey Dutchman,
we all enjoy a good tinker with our own bikes, i learnt awhile back to swallow me pride and get on a first name basis with the LBS. Had to have the front brakes re bleed after an attempt to free up the pistons a bit, $40 later and now have a front break that feels fantastic.
Been riding with the replacement giant wheelset for the last 2 weeks, and touch wood they have been pretty good. starting to gain some confidence back and hitting the jumps again. So hopefully things hold up from here

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
My freehub body was replaced with another OEM freehub about 6 weeks ago. So far I have not had any other issues. Then again my hub never stopped functioning totally. Apparently the pawls were just sticking and skipping over the teeth on the hub. I am curious as to what hub issues everyone is having? I keep hearing of hubs completely failing. Which part of the hub is failing? Pawls breaking? Teeth stripping?
I had broken pawls and stripped ratchet gears on the first one, and the second one failed due to damage from the first one, that because they didnt replace the whole hub body only the internals, but had damaged the ratchet ring re fitting the new one

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
Ok. Did they replace yours with another OEM hub or something different? My LBS showed me my freehub body and how the grease was too thick and preventing the pawls from pushing out all of the way. This was, of course, causing the pawls to skip over the teeth on the hub. Possible this is what happened with yours and others, and over time caused pawls to break? On my new hub they just put a light oil this time instead of grease and so far so good.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Yeah it was another giant hub, but so far feels pretty strong. I had broken the teeth of 2 of the pawls, with the loose parts causing the ratchet to strip out when it was rattling around. I believe that i broke the first pawl 2 weeks before, when i heard a big clunk on a short climb, cranks spun a little then re-engaged, so didn't take much notice, but i felt like i was pedaling through treacle at times. But now when i here any noise from the drive train, i stop and have a look.
So far so good on the new giant hub

wildflares

Mar 23, 2019
Moscow, ID
Bought Trance E+ 2 about a month ago. Been having freehub problem since then. Timeline...

1. Upon inspection I found deformed shim which is made of aluminum.
2. Giant sent me a replacement freehub with steel shim. That doesn't help.
3. Giant sent me a third freehub replacement along with battery shim that have been known issue but I haven't had any issue with battery before so that's good. But the freehub kept slipping. I lost my confidence in the wheel.
4. Contacted Giant and they sent me 200$ to find a rear wheel because they're out of stock wheels for three months. So I bought DT Swiss H1700 wheel. Giant seemed happy with my decision.

I don't think three pawls system works well with output torque coming from e-bike, so hopefully a hybrid wheel with 24t ratchet system will do a lots better work. Look like DT Swiss Hybrid wheels are designed actually for emtb torque.

Waiting for wheel to come in tomorrow, finger cross!

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Bought Trance E+ 2 about a month ago. Been having freehub problem since then. Timeline...

1. Upon inspection I found deformed shim which is made of aluminum.
2. Giant sent me a replacement freehub with steel shim. That doesn't help.
3. Giant sent me a third freehub replacement along with battery shim that have been known issue but I haven't had any issue with battery before so that's good. But the freehub kept slipping. I lost my confidence in the wheel.
4. Contacted Giant and they sent me 200$ to find a rear wheel because they're out of stock wheels for three months. So I bought DT Swiss H1700 wheel. Giant seemed happy with my decision.

I don't think three pawls system works well with output torque coming from e-bike, so hopefully a hybrid wheel with 24t ratchet system will do a lots better work. Look like DT Swiss Hybrid wheels are designed actually for emtb torque.

Waiting for wheel to come in tomorrow, finger cross!
The H1700 wheels seem to be a great option at a good price point. i am sure you wont have any issues with them. Let us know how you get on

Browna41

Mar 15, 2019
Dorking
Only had my trance e+3 for about 3 weeks and the rear hub sounds like it might let go. I'll give my bike dealer a call tomorrow before it does, otherwise it will be a nightmare if I ever have to walk home ?

Wes

Jan 7, 2019
Sydney
My full replcement hub failed longway from happy now.Climbing a steep techie climb had to get out of the saddle and bang on the deck.Still reseaching best options for hub and helmet.

Browna41

Mar 15, 2019
Dorking
Yes agree, it does seem like negligence to not recognise there is problem and to simply carry on selling bikes with the same issue and the battery issue of course. Even a simple remedy for LBS would help Giant ?

wildflares

Mar 23, 2019
Moscow, ID
Look like new freehub fixed the problem mostly. I had to sand the 10/11 gear a bit because the teeth seem like it's damaged from previous slippage. I sanded them and it's a tons better. Investing in 1x12 Eagle NX soon anyway!

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
Look like new freehub fixed the problem mostly. I had to sand the 10/11 gear a bit because the teeth seem like it's damaged from previous slippage. I sanded them and it's a tons better. Investing in 1x12 Eagle NX soon anyway!
Yes, I also had to have my 11th gear replaced as it kept slipping as well after my freehub was replaced. I know the consensus is that it's the power of the motor that keeps causing these hub issues but truth be told, on the trail I typically ride with mine in the very lowest setting or even turned off and I'm in Florida so not much elevation going on. On the other hand my hub had issues from the very first ride on the day I picked it up brand new. Either way, must just be a very weak hub design.

minty15389

Dec 22, 2018
morpeth
morning, just a quick update on my replaced freehub, 2 months have gone by and i must commend giant Newcastle on there after service and professionalism they replaced the stock giant freehub to a HOPE freehub costing more than double the price and up to now its been superb not a single issue loving every minute on the bike flys over everything put in its way well when i say fly i really mean trundle:giggle: .
Giant know about the issues so if your experiencing problems i would advise them to log onto this forum site and read the posts this is such a good barganing tool they cant ignore.
good luck to those experiancing issues!!

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
morning, just a quick update on my replaced freehub, 2 months have gone by and i must commend giant Newcastle on there after service and professionalism they replaced the stock giant freehub to a HOPE freehub costing more than double the price and up to now its been superb not a single issue loving every minute on the bike flys over everything put in its way well when i say fly i really mean trundle:giggle: .
Giant know about the issues so if your experiencing problems i would advise them to log onto this forum site and read the posts this is such a good barganing tool they cant ignore.
good luck to those experiancing issues!!

Hi Minty

What model hub you using. I am looking for a solution. Did they just lace the hub onto your wheel and were able to reuse your spokes?

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
Hey Guy's
Just thought I'd update you on the situation!
Took the bike in last friday as the rear hub had failed and had issues with the ride control one(not turning off etc), the store ordered the ride control one unit which arrived and has been fitted today, however! The store has only just looked at the freehub issue and have said it's dead so we need to order a new one for you which hopefully should be here by friday!
Really poor time management in my opinion!
Why not look at all the issues and order all at once!
Anyway the freehub has rusted beyond repair and only 1 pawl was working as the others had basically fallen apart.
I've no doubt that the new freehub will work fine, however, I'm not convinced it wont happen again but only time will tell.
Again I'll keep you guy's posted on the situation.
Shaun

Windfurian

Mar 31, 2019
New Zealand
Glad I found this thread,

I have a 1 Week Old Trance SX, 30km on it and the Freehub starts slipping.

Took it into the LBS and they replicated it, told me to take it easy while they get in touch wtih Giant NZ, hopefully they get given the same instruction as others.

Love the bike, but not being able to mash it hard up hills is a bit of an oversight.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Glad I found this thread,

I have a 1 Week Old Trance SX, 30km on it and the Freehub starts slipping.

Took it into the LBS and they replicated it, told me to take it easy while they get in touch wtih Giant NZ, hopefully they get given the same instruction as others.

Love the bike, but not being able to mash it hard up hills is a bit of an oversight.
Am hoping to hear back about mine this week, unfortunately had to wait for Giant NZ to get back from Crankworx.....bad timing for my hub to lock up lol.....had to buy a cheap 2nd hand wheel to keep me going....into 3rd week now ?

Wes

Jan 7, 2019
Sydney
I have purchased a DT 240 Hybrid and alpine 3 spokes laced it into the giant rim tonight.Still waiting on the not turning off problem

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
I ended up getting a whole new wheel, no idea if its an upgraded hub, freehub is much quieter though. Don't think lbs likes me as I didn't buy from them, just got handed wheel with no explanation.....?

Mike49

Apr 3, 2019
Wellington
Newbie here, post kind of related to the freehub issue....looking to purchase first e bike and looking for a bit of advise. I'm looking at the trance e 3 pro XL. I'd say im an intermediate rider and ride blue trails. Is this ok for my level or is the e1 better for me? I have the option of the trance 3 with a new steel freehub installed for 5.4k from a local Giant shop (they are replacing them on new L and XL bikes, although I don't know if they would have if I didn't know about it from this forum) or one without the new freebub for 4.5k from torpedo 7. The question is do I pay the extra $900 for piece of mind and support the local shop or just get it as cheap as possible and go thought the hassle of the freehub issue if it occurs. Guess Im also asking how common is the issue

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles