Trail Watts starts testing Range Extender for Bosch.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Hi everyone,
www.trailwatts.com has started testing range extending battery systems on Bosch.
Just wondering how many could do with an extra 252wh or 378wh to make their ride longer.

Ride the trails longer.
Graham at trail watts.

D445E3FB-95C1-4AB6-AAE4-79FA68A11E3B.jpeg

8B9F95E0-261F-4014-AA11-14FA65BB50C8.jpeg

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Frame pouch is probably best option for bikes without space for a bottle cage ??
Looking at abs mounts to secure booster but a pouch is safer for bikes.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
Would deffo be interested. However I have a fox DPX2 shock and it comes very close to the bottle cage on my LT7, I know that with a larger bottle it touches, I will check on dimensions later. What sort or price are we looking at ?

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Price depends on fitment really. I cannot release price till completed kit form. 2 types will be available due to newer trek/ Bosch having bottle cage options.

Last edited:

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
I have a 2018 powerfly and just bought a second battery and a special ebike battery rucksack. I was out all day on Sunday and it was fine. With 1kwh total capacity i could blast around in emtb all day. Really fun id recommend considering it as an option

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
1st tests proves system integration working and drawing power from both factory battery and booster battery. Now to read through the data. Please do not comment about the fitment etc as this is proof of concept/ integration level.
Thank you for all the interest.

84A1EF43-8210-4FA6-B210-7C324BF443ED.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
1st tests proves system integration working and drawing power from both factory battery and booster battery. Now to read through the data. Please do not comment about the fitment etc as this is proof of concept/ integration level.
Thank you for all the interest.

View attachment 12134
What size frame is that?

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Thank you. Currently working on data to make full battery potential on the Bosch motor and battery. Data is very good for Bosch ?

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Testing is going well. Battery integration is working and test rides have proven system for Bosch. Working on harness assembly to allow end user to fit to bike. Not alot of room around motor area to hide module so looking to 3D print attachment to cage or battery itself to allow space under motor covers especially for users with speed chip attached.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Testing is going well. Battery integration is working and test rides have proven system for Bosch. Working on harness assembly to allow end user to fit to bike. Not alot of room around motor area to hide module so looking to 3D print attachment to cage or battery itself to allow space under motor covers especially for users with speed chip attached.
Bottle cage mount would do for me.....no speed chip attachment

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
Hi everyone,
www.trailwatts.com has started testing range extending battery systems on Bosch.
Just wondering how many could do with an extra 252wh or 378wh to make their ride longer.

Ride the trails longer.
Graham at trail watts.

View attachment 11926

View attachment 11927
How's the testing going with this kit. I've a 2019 PF7 that has 2 bottle cages so storage isn't an issue but would like a bit of back up charge. I'm not 100% happy with the range on these later powertube batteries. I don't seem to get the range out of this as I did with my 2018 500wh battery. Any idea on costs?

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Testing takes time. System parameters have to be identified and module adaptions etc
I hope to have finalised design for module soon. Then the matter of harness fitting etc

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
As testing continues the loom design has not been started yet. I would hope to have a design and method once concluded.
I hope to be plug and play but the space restrictions on frame and motor may have to be a fitting service.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Bosch already do a twin battery loom, is that any good to you?
Twin loom is for combining flat Bosch with cx packs or haibike system.The Bosch system uses 5% from each battery at a time switching them on and off.
Not ideal compared to load sharing 752wh allowing you to remove 1.4kg if only doing 500wh ride etc
Haibike system good but early bikes need a different system.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles