Article The new 2023 TREK FUEL EX-e reviewed

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
”The dawn of a new era” – says Trek when introducing the new electric Fuel EX-e. Why is that? The Fuel EX-e is a superlight emtb with a small motor and battery. Such bikes have been around for a few years. What makes the Trek Fuel EX-e so special? Watch the video reviews or keep reading below.

Introduction

The new Fuel EX-e is a full suspension 29er bike. It’s only available with a carbon frame. The fork has 150 mm of travel while the rear end offers 140 mm. We test Fuel EX-e XX1 AXS, the top-of-the-line model at about 19 kg without pedals.

c02_DSC09892.jpg
The most expensive models come with relatively burly Rockshox Lyric forks

This isn’t the lightest of the superlight bikes. It’s equipped with solid components. Fork and tyres are relatively burly. There is even a minitool inside the steerer tube. These are things you don’t get on the lightest bikes. It seems function is top priority for the...

Continue reading...

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
A real looker. I'd like to test fide one. Hopefully trek has a demo in town this summer.
I wonder if it can be used with just the extender like the levo sl? It has a 230 x 60 stroke shock and a flipchip so that might leave the pissibility to run a 230 x 62.5 or 65 and give it 146 or 152 rear travel as a mullet

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I could be wrong but I dont see these low power ebikes being around for long. I imagine the the rail will outsell this 5 to 1, I just dont see too many customers choosing this over the rail with all the power and range for a 10lb weight trade off. The trick is going to be getting the full fat ebikes lower weight, not offering these half measures that really arent all that desirable.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Cost = as much as 13,000 pounds?
My Trek Powerfly FS7 2019 cost me $5,700 Can (= 3680 pounds). If I was offered for free to trade my Powerfly for the Fuel EX-E - I would definitely say no to what seems to me an overpriced and underpowered e-bike.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I could be wrong but I dont see these low power ebikes being around for long. I imagine the the rail will outsell this 5 to 1, I just dont see too many customers choosing this over the rail with all the power and range for a 10lb weight trade off. The trick is going to be getting the full fat ebikes lower weight, not offering these half measures that really arent all that desirable.
It depends on the customer. There is a lot of people out there (myself including) that have been riding normal bikes for years and want an Ebike that feels just like a normal bike but can give you assistance on climbs and extend the length of your ride. If you just wanted all the power you would just bike a dirt bike or an electric dirt bike like Shockwave posted above.
I'm sure with time and innovation we will have Ebikes that are not much heavier than a normal bike but have 80 to 90Nm of torque and 900wh batteries but that will be a way off yet.
Personally I just want my bike to feel light and nimble and just make the hills a bit more enjoyable and I am happy to have a drop in performance to get this. I'm faster on my normal bike on most descents that on other full powered Ebike as the weight affects the handling.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Tbh the trek is a good looking bike, I almost had to look where the motor was. But it's way to overpriced, emtb prices have gone mad
6500€ the base model and for the 15 000€ for the top model.... 🤔

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
That Trek looks fantastic, as does the Shuttle. This is what I think traditional mountain bikers want and that is why they are making more- light e-bikes that don't handle like piggish anchors on the trail. I sold my full power Pivot Shuttle to get a Levo SL. That 40 lbs area is great. I'd sell the Levo to get the Pivot for sure, if upgrading. Maybe the Trek though I prefer DW Link. My friend rode a few and bought his first e-bike- a Levo SL too. His father bought a regular Levo. His words basically were the same as my thoughts- the Levo just feels heavy and tractor-like. Not as much fun in the handling department, especially slow technical sections. Good job, Trek!

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
The most useful information I got from all the videos praising this bike came from Cam Mackall, saying the handlebars are too wide and the reach too long for a fun bike.
Like him, I would also love to ride one if I could get it for free, would maybe even try to backflip it 😆
Seriouly, I can’t see a difference between a bike that weights almost 20 kilos and another just a tad above that that could justify spending twice the money and then get an unproved and less strong motor paired with too small and badly secured batterie.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Cracking bike for sure, but I don't think I could ever be happy paying 13 gees for a bike and getting a set of Lyriks. Or indeed a Deluxe.
What would you rather have in equal terms? I prefer a Lyrik over a Fox 36 on a 140-150mm bike.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
What would you rather have in equal terms? I prefer a Lyrik over a Fox 36 on a 140-150mm bike.

I'm not entirely sure tbh, but something like an Ohlins? Do they even do a 150mm fork? I guess all I'm trying to say is that I think I would expect more than what is essentially a £350 fork with a Charger stuffed in it. I get it's got AirWiz, but I'd sacrifice what is essentially a gimmick (for most) for a better overall fork. I get that Rob liked the forks overall though. But he also said he preferred the Zeb.

Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible) it just seems an awful lot of dollar for the suspension it has. Rest of the bike is mint though.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
"while the 360 Wh battery weighs a claimed 1.83 kg. TQ tell us that is the highest energy density of any eBike battery on the market."

How can that be the case when the fazua ride 60 is 430wh and 2kg ?

More importantly, why didn't anyone tell me to put beer in the fridge.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
"while the 360 Wh battery weighs a claimed 1.83 kg. TQ tell us that is the highest energy density of any eBike battery on the market."

How can that be the case when the fazua ride 60 is 430wh and 2kg ?

More importantly, why didn't anyone tell me to put beer in the fridge.
Fazua 430Wh is about 2.3kg I think ? Also, I think they mentioned volume not weight. But there can’t be much between them at all!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Fazua 430Wh is about 2.3kg I think ? Also, I think they mentioned volume not weight. But there can’t be much between them at all!
I think it's the none removable one which is 2kg.

This ones pretty interesting also .. (the link)

Link ..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
According to both TFTuned and Sprung you’ll spend almost as much time servicing Ohlins forks as you will riding them. I’ll take the 350 quid forks with a posh damper (🙄) thanks.

P.I.Engineer

Jul 3, 2022
Maple Valley, WA
really need to know what the motor warranty is.

but, this is the kind of bike i've been waiting for. 40'ish pounds and some assistance. I ride an ebike to save time. I have young kids. i refer to ebikes as dad-e-bikes.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
really need to know what the motor warranty is.

but, this is the kind of bike i've been waiting for. 40'ish pounds and some assistance. I ride an ebike to save time. I have young kids. i refer to ebikes as dad-e-bikes.
Trek's Ebike warranty for electric bike motor, controller and battery pack is 2 years or 600 charges, whichever comes first.

Just having a quick look, Giant and Specialized both have two year warranties and Shimano themselves have a 6 year warranty on their motors.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles