Levo SL Gen 1 SL NEW Software Update

FunkeyMunky

Jun 13, 2020
Denmark
I also got it today from my LBS.
Found some info on the German Spech web site about the update, although my mission control app seems unchanged.
According to LBS the FW upgrade can now be performed at user level.

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
I also got it today from my LBS.
Found some info on the German Spech web site about the update, although my mission control app seems unchanged.
According to LBS the FW upgrade can now be performed at user level.
I’m pretty certain the dealer has to do it. They hooked it up to their computer and then took off the chain to turn the crank freely for a bit.

DreamensioN

Aug 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
This may have already been answered elsewhere - but where do you guys look to see if there's a new firmware available? Did it say in the Mission Control app, or is there some site where they put up the release notes etc?

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
This may have already been answered elsewhere - but where do you guys look to see if there's a new firmware available? Did it say in the Mission Control app, or is there some site where they put up the release notes etc?
It's beamed down from the Specialized Mothership to your Mission Control App :)

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
I got my update done. The shop had the bike for a lot longer than estimated and finally called me to tell me the TCU was acting up and they couldn’t get it to stay on through the update. Luckily they had one there and were able to warranty it within the day.

I noticed in turbo mode I no longer get a random kick on/off of the motor when I make a short stroke and dont commit to pedaling. Like when you are about to pedal and then have to make another move on the bike and it would kick on real hard and stop. I noticed it a lot going into turns. This was only in turbo mode, but it seems to be gone now. However I almost exlusively ride the bike in 50/70 and I have this set on the eco setting which has less acceleration than other settings. I actually made several presets where the power levels I wanted are all set in the eco mode.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Please when possible provide a description of the walk mode after this update for the Levo. I use my walk mode quite a bit and don't want it neutered. I haven't done the previous update as I had heard that it makes the walk mode almost useless and very slow.

Thanks

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Please when possible provide a description of the walk mode after this update for the Levo. I use my walk mode quite a bit and don't want it neutered. I haven't done the previous update as I had heard that it makes the walk mode almost useless and very slow.
Just for clarity, we're talking about the Levo SL here, not the Levo.

shakeystart

Jun 23, 2020
1617daY
Just had the latest update yesterday. Unfortunately, it didn't effect the walk mode smoothness. Walk mode still pulses, at least on the workstand.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Yes. Riding now and the shift into turbo is definitely smoother. Pretty amazing.

Hi @AlexEMTB and others following the post. This is worth commenting on for SL bikes specifically.

Many riders on this forum ask what we do with data that we pick up from recorded rides etc in Mission Control. This is a great example. The specific firmware update you mentioned for SL bikes doesn't in itself offer a performance upgrade, rather it allows the retailer to perform a calibration to the torque sensor. Using actual field ride-data we detected small calibration drifts in a batch of motors and subsequently created the ability for our retailers to re-calibrate motors in-store via a firmware update and a matching calibration step.

Depending if the torque drift is positive or negative, the rider will have two slightly different experiences.
a) For positive drift, the peak torque of the motor will be reached with less rider input - giving the feeling of higher than normal power even if your support settings are set low. e.g. ECO 30/60 could feel like TURBO 60/100 (example settings).
b) For a negative drift you will need to put in more power to reach peak torque. This would feeling as though the bike has less power even if your support settings are high. e.g. TURBO 60/100 feels like ECO 30/60 (example settings).

In both cases because of the offset the motor can feel more 'digital' or "on/off". After calibration you may notice smoother power that feels more constant across support settings. Sounds like this is what you noticed after the update? Its hard for a rider where the bike has always behaved like this to notice unless they ride another bike that is calibrated.

Important to know - if other riders are concerned they can use Mission Control / Diagnose / Advanced Diagnose / Send Report and then check with their retailer if their bike Serial Number is showing a Torque offset. This can be done remotely when our retailers check field event codes. There is no risk or motor fault as such, once calibrated the torque sensor won't drift again. This was a limited batch of motors that were fitted to bikes too soon after component manufacture - before the magnetic components had settled fully.

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
Hi @AlexEMTB and others following the post. This is worth commenting on for SL bikes specifically.

Many riders on this forum ask what we do with data that we pick up from recorded rides etc in Mission Control. This is a great example. The specific firmware update you mentioned for SL bikes doesn't in itself offer a performance upgrade, rather it allows the retailer to perform a calibration to the torque sensor. Using actual field ride-data we detected small calibration drifts in a batch of motors and subsequently created the ability for our retailers to re-calibrate motors in-store via a firmware update and a matching calibration step.

Depending if the torque drift is positive or negative, the rider will have two slightly different experiences.
a) For positive drift, the peak torque of the motor will be reached with less rider input - giving the feeling of higher than normal power even if your support settings are set low. e.g. ECO 30/60 could feel like TURBO 60/100 (example settings).
b) For a negative drift you will need to put in more power to reach peak torque. This would feeling as though the bike has less power even if your support settings are high. e.g. TURBO 60/100 feels like ECO 30/60 (example settings).

In both cases because of the offset the motor can feel more 'digital' or "on/off". After calibration you may notice smoother power that feels more constant across support settings. Sounds like this is what you noticed after the update? Its hard for a rider where the bike has always behaved like this to notice unless they ride another bike that is calibrated.

Important to know - if other riders are concerned they can use Mission Control / Diagnose / Advanced Diagnose / Send Report and then check with their retailer if their bike Serial Number is showing a Torque offset. This can be done remotely when our retailers check field event codes. There is no risk or motor fault as such, once calibrated the torque sensor won't drift again. This was a limited batch of motors that were fitted to bikes too soon after component manufacture - before the magnetic components had settled fully.
Thanks Rider Care for responding to the post! Your explanation is very interesting and helpful. Most appreciated. That explains the smoother power delivery I'm now experiencing. I have close to 2K miles now on my SL and must say I'm deeply impressed with the bike in almost every way. It's an exciting time for ebikes and I can't wait to see what you do next! SL 1.2 with matching engine mounts and more torque?? :)

shakeystart

Jun 23, 2020
1617daY
Thanks Rider Care for responding to the post! Your explanation is very interesting and helpful. Most appreciated. That explains the smoother power delivery I'm now experiencing. I have close to 2K miles now on my SL and must say I'm deeply impressed with the bike in almost every way. It's an exciting time for ebikes and I can't wait to see what you do next! SL 1.2 with matching engine mounts and more torque?? :)

I would gladly settle for "LESS NOISE"! o_O

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
So what is the process on the update remove chain and what?
They take out the TCU and connect it to the computer. They punch in a bunch of stuff (I didn't see what they did) They remove the chain and turn the crank to set a baseline for torque delivery - I think - I'm not a computer engineer ;)

Just did another ride and the engagement into all power levels is incredibly smooth! Not sure how it could possibly get any better.
I think this is now the gold standard of power delivery. Bravo Spesh!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles