Article Shimano Linkglide for ebikes – first ride

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I wonder what the difference between the LG400 and LG600 are… I can’t see anything in the literature. Looks like they changed the coating.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I wonder what the difference between the LG400 and LG600 are… I can’t see anything in the literature. Looks like they changed the coating.
Weight maybe?
The 10 speed LG600 is supposed to be around 634g. I haven't seen a weight listed online for the lg400 cassette.
If I remember and have time, I'll try to weigh it this evening.

Last edited:

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
The LG600-10 has 3 replaceable sprockets. 11, 13 & 15t.
The LG400-10 has 2. The 11 and 13t.

According to the interwebs, the 10 speed LG600 is supposed to be around 634g
My scales at home only go up to 500g
I put the LG400-10 on the parcel scales at work and they say 582g

I'm not sure when I'll be able to swap the drivetrains and go for a decent ride.. life is a bit hectic at the moment and I don't have much free time :(

Last edited:

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I’ve read somewhere a review of Shimano 2023 product line and it says the CS-LG400 is tweaked for use with auto gear change systems. I think the same was true across the MTB range, It didn’t mention weight though
Unfortunately I can’t find the article now 🤦‍♂️

Edit

AOE4

Oct 30, 2022
idaho
Nope. :(
Ridewill just emailled to say the cassette is not available :mad:
What is it with these shitty shops showing stock then emailing to cancel? FFS

Has anyone else seen a 10 speed Linkglide cassette anywhere please?
Yeah.... That's my problem too. None of the numerous online shops I trust do not have the XT linkglide cassette. I will be patient. I have the shifter and rear derailleur.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Yeah.... That's my problem too. None of the numerous online shops I trust do not have the XT linkglide cassette. I will be patient. I have the shifter and rear derailleur.
Hi AOE4, have you tried these shops?

AOE4

Oct 30, 2022
idaho
The ebay source will not ship to the USA the other two shops have expensive shipping. Thanks anyway😁

Last edited:

AOE4

Oct 30, 2022
idaho
I will wait for the cs-lg 600 XT linkglide to be available, most likely April 2023 in the USA. No plans at all for me to use nothing but the linkglide series. Nothing else will work with it with the chain being the exception. This information is from Shimano website. I have the shifter and RD😬

AOE4

Oct 30, 2022
idaho
The LG600-10 has 3 replaceable sprockets. 11, 13 & 15t.
The LG400-10 has 2. The 11 and 13t.

According to the interwebs, the 10 speed LG600 is supposed to be around 634g
My scales at home only go up to 500g
I put the LG400-10 on the parcel scales at work and they say 582g

I'm not sure when I'll be able to swap the drivetrains and go for a decent ride.. life is a bit hectic at the moment and I don't have much free time :(
CS-LG600 is 11 speed. So the difference is 10 vs 11 speed and weight of course since the is LG is the XT version. 😁

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
CS-LG600 is 11 speed. So the difference is 10 vs 11 speed and weight of course since the is LG is the XT version. 😁
Originally there was also a 10 speed CS-LG600

The ebay source will not ship to the USA the other two shops have expensive shipping. Thanks anyway😁
Doh!, I didn't notice your location, sorry

Last edited:

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I just fitted the 10speed Linkglide… One of the greatest advantages that I see which i have not read mentioned anywhere is the chain wrap! This is greatly improved, i guess because they have done away with the B-link.
I was always confused why Shimano used a B-Link and had poor chain wrap.

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
I just fitted the 10speed Linkglide… One of the greatest advantages that I see which i have not read mentioned anywhere is the chain wrap! This is greatly improved, i guess because they have done away with the B-link.
I was always confused why Shimano used a B-Link and had poor chain wrap.
How does it ride? What kind if motor you using with it?

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I’ve just fitted 11 speed Linkglide to a Bosch Gen 2 and it is head and shoulders better than the EX1 I took off

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
For me wear wasn’t the issue, I’m not hard on my bike and I’m only doing 1000-1500km a year. I didn’t get on with the EX1 for a few reasons
I could never get it to run sweet for more than a ride or two before it would need tweaking. I’m not sure if it is my lack of experience with SRAM, I’ve only ever ridden Shimano before, or the fact that 8 speed with such a wide range, 11-48, is just never going to be perfect in operation despite being perfect on paper
I also like the multiple up shift option, sometimes it’s the small things
I certainly feel the difference having 11 speeds, I’m changing gear much more often. The 10 speed would be more than enough for an ebike, for my style and type of riding anyway. I chose the 11 speed because I needed 50T for my aging legs/lungs/heart
Sure it’s a bit heavier but so am I and my bike weighs 25kg anyway
It’s early days but has never missed a shift so far and runs just as well out on the trail as it did in the stand when I set it up

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Just removed my 2nd attempt at SRAM Transmission and installed 11sp XT link glide 8130 stuff. Shifts like an absolute dream. Only a couple rides in so we will see but at the moment I feel like a ripe idiot for blowing so much $ on expensive sh*t that didn’t last.

Literally the only performance difference is that you have to use a hair more thumb grease to do a shift. Oh, that and it doesn’t creak like a wounded donkey, break cassette & pulley wheel teeth, not shift into or out of 3rd gear, etc., etc…

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
My dad finally fitted his link glide set and is finding it to be very good, I think there is only 2 sets of ramps not 3 like most current Shimano cassettes have, so the shifting is a little slower but it's shifting faultlessly every time so far.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles