Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
MTBs and mudguards = No Go

But...
I go for long 3-4 hours rides all year.
In the rainy season I hate to get wet and muddy after 5 min.
I have tried several mudguards, dedicated rear guards, plastic, carbon, front guards, guards mounted at the dropper or ass-savers.
But they all seems to be to ugly, to short or making noices by rubbing the wheel or the frame.

I have found a solution that works for me at the rear wheel.
- I use a short Proguard to protect the frame - RRP Proguard
- On top of that I have mount a new mudguard from Zéfal.
- The mounting consist of 2 mountings points that protect the frame with rubber.
- The guard can me dismounted i 2 min with 2 bolts - and the mounting points stay on the bike
- The guard can be lowers for traveling by fire roads or by tarmac for work.
- It can be raise in different angles for proper MTB.

The guard fits 27.5" and 29" and I use i for my 2.8"

The price is OK - Only 20 £ at Tredz

3rd photo is after 15 miles at semi muddy trail.
Max 1% mud at dropper, saddle or my back ?
PS
Last photo just to show the bike from it's best side :cool:

IMG_2740.JPEG

IMG_2739.JPEG

IMG_2716.JPEG

Last edited:

Darkred

Oct 9, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks for this - giving the Zefal a go as i am fed up with a wet arse, and was just looking to buy one. If we listened to all the 'rules' about MTBs (mudguard snobs in this case) none of us would ever have bought EMTBs as those were not allowed ;)

I value dry trousers over image :D

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I have the old Zefal on my acoustic bike. I was a mudguard snob for years. Orginally added to skip the brown racing stripe on my nice clothes on the school run.

It was so good I kept it on been on some real bog busters and didnt end up with a gritty arse.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How does it get on for "bounce" ?

I find even the mudhugger, even with it's bracing, will still magically slap the back tyre when you're going for it - even though it seems physically impossible if you try and bend it off the bike. But you can confirm it with the wear marks on the inside afterwards.

Saying that, the mudhugger is the least bouncy/slappy of all the guards I've tried.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
How does it get on for "bounce" ?
I have the same experience with other mudguards. They also slap the tires.

I don't do major gaps - but standard hops and drops of 3-5 feets gave no slaps.
During the first 50-60 miles I only got 10-15 slaps when going fast over small narrow holes made by others riders late breaking.
And some minor slaps when landing not in a straight angle to travel direction. But small price to pay for no mud.
The sound is nothing compared to the other rides with SRAM breakes "screaming" like crazy when wet :cool:

The price is so low that You can try - and throw it away if it's not working.

Last edited:

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Just ordered one as I'm sick of mud spray and a wet arse, slightly cheaper and in stock.
Had the same feeling before.
I were riding Yesterday with some of the mudlovers - It was the second in a row - Didn't need to wash or change my suit.
The didn't wash or change suits either - but they looked terrible from start to end after 2 days in the mud :LOL:

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
Cheers for the heads up on these. My 15yr old mudguard I took off my Marin isn’t doing a very good job, and I’ve been looking for a replacement. Although you will never find a good looking rear mudguard these IMO look decent compared to others on the market, so I’ve ordered one. ??
I got the blame for blocking the washer the other week as I just chucked all my mud splattered clothes in the washer, so this might help me keep out of trouble with the Mrs ?

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My concern with fixed mudguards is when I hit clay mud. The wheel just keeps getting bigger until the frame starts peeling off the mud and forming a nice shape. I once had a bike grind to a halt because the mud/grass/straw/sticks/stones jammed beneath the fixed mudguard completely choked the wheel. As a consequence I tend to use a blade mounted off the seat tube or dropper body.

This is the sort of mud I mean. And yes, that is a stick in there!

Focus mud.jpg

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Purchased one of these to see how they go. I have a mudhugger rear on a hardtail and they are very good, but a bit of a faff to fit for the emtb where i wont want it on all the time.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
A Mudhugger rear is just about as good as it gets. They are very robust and give good protection but I pop-rivet a four inch (100mm if you are one of the angry contributors still wedded to the EU :)) extender made from a plastic plant pot on the end or extra protection.

Removal is quick and simple if you deploy re-usable zip ties such as the ones in the attached link and you will be able to find much cheaper ones if you search.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
Can anyone post a pic looking down on the fender, so we can see how wide it is compared to the tire? Thanks

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Can anyone post a pic looking down on the fender, so we can see how wide it is compared to the tire? Thanks

Fitted mine this morning, no pic but the main bit is slightly wider than the 2.35 i have fitted, not that i know how wide the tyre actually is as measurements from manufacturers are all lies ;) .

Already broke one of the brackets. Where they are notched on the inside to allow the clip end to be fitted cracked as i tightened it down, wasnt even tight enough to stop it wobbling and was yet to bottom out so not 'overtight'. Managed to get it to work by revesing the fittings but doesnt bode well.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
I’m using rrp front and rear but as the rear is only a short it wasn‘t saving my back/rucksack.

so I’ve added one of these topeak defender xc11 for 29 - just the rear

Levo, M, 5ft 5 rider, I had to raise the dropper body a bit (I’m short so dropper/seatpost v low, which does impact tyre clearance of mudguard)and use a file on the mudguard to get the correct tyre clearance/angle but I wanted a qr one so I can remove/add as reqd by trail conditions/ car packing etc.

seems to work - no new mud on back on the 2 recent rides I’ve used it on.

*they do wider ones for wider tyres, I run 2.4-6

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
First ride on mine last night. Still had mud and water up my back. Perhaps my stays (Vitus) are lower pulling the guard further round, or maybe because its a 29 wheel, but the guard isnt long enough to stop all the spray being kicked forward. I can mount it higher away from the tyre but then the spray still tends to get around it. 3/5, has a use but a mudhugger is much better.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
First ride on mine last night. Still had mud and water up my back. Perhaps my stays (Vitus) are lower pulling the guard further round, or maybe because its a 29 wheel, but the guard isnt long enough to stop all the spray being kicked forward. I can mount it higher away from the tyre but then the spray still tends to get around it. 3/5, has a use but a mudhugger is much better.
Sorry about your experience.
I were out in wet snow and mud yesterday with af friend with no fenders. He had mud and water at the back and I had about 1% of that at mine. Not 100% dry but much better than without. And no spray on the top side of the saddle.
The fenders need to be as far towards the rear end of the tire.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles