Mucky Nuts Mudguard Rear fitting question…

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I bought the Mucky Nuts Rear Mudguard (Eco savvy Mudguards, Custom Fenders and Frame Protection for Mountain Bikes | MTB | DH | Enduro | XC | Fat Bike | Road Bike) in the Black Friday sale. Between one thing and another, I’ve never got round to fitting it. I was going to pop it on just now before going out, but I feel like I’m missing something.

I’ve lined up the 2 bits that attach to my frame with the main part of the guard. I could use the Velcro straps provided, but would probably use some zip ties for a better grip. It seems that no matter which I use, a few bumps on the bike - and the guard is going to start sliding down towards the tyre.
I’ve had a few rear guards in the past, but they’ve always had holes to put zip ties to attach them to the bar at the top of the seat stays… to stop it slipping.

Had anyone fitted one, and have the issue I’m predicting… or does it all work fine? There isn’t much clearance between my rear tyre and the guard because of the bar across the seat stay.
I was also considering warming the circled part of the guard up with a heat gun, and moulding it more into the shape of my seat stay to give it a better fit?

IMG_6938.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Has no one fitted one of these?! Due to a toe operation, I haven't been on my bike for 2 weeks...
I was eyeing it up yesterday hoping to get out on it at the weekend - since I get my bandage off / stitches out tomorrow!
Given the awful weather just now, a mudguard would be useful!!

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Haven't used that mudguard, but do use the MudHugger rear guards on both bikes and the fitting looks similar.

I've never tied the guard to the cross brace, and they've never moved. However, you need to really thoroughly protect the seat stays or the vibrations will make the guard eat into the stays. I use 3M rubber tape, but a couple of layers of helitape does the same job. Then cinch it down proper tight with zip ties and all should be good.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Haven't used that mudguard, but do use the MudHugger rear guards on both bikes and the fitting looks similar.

I've never tied the guard to the cross brace, and they've never moved. However, you need to really thoroughly protect the seat stays or the vibrations will make the guard eat into the stays. I use 3M rubber tape, but a couple of layers of helitape does the same job. Then cinch it down proper tight with zip ties and all should be good.
Thanks! This one comes with a couple of rubber inserts that are pressing against the frame rather than just plastic. I had the full size Mudhugger on my Stumpy, and I know what you mean about it eating the seat stays. I had various wraps of helitape round that. I hoped that the rubber inserts would maybe help a bit. I have Invisiframe there... but maybe worth a wrap of Helitape too.

The difference between my Mudhugger and this Mucky Nutz is that the Mudhugger didn't go under the cross brace. It just stopped there. This one needs to go under - which makes it pretty close to the tyre.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thanks! This one comes with a couple of rubber inserts that are pressing against the frame rather than just plastic. I had the full size Mudhugger on my Stumpy, and I know what you mean about it eating the seat stays. I had various wraps of helitape round that. I hoped that the rubber inserts would maybe help a bit. I have Invisiframe there... but maybe worth a wrap of Helitape too.

The difference between my Mudhugger and this Mucky Nutz is that the Mudhugger didn't go under the cross brace. It just stopped there. This one needs to go under - which

The difference between my Mudhugger and this Mucky Nutz is that the Mudhugger didn't go under the cross brace. It just stopped there. This one needs to go under - which makes it pretty close to the tyre.

Didn't like the new rear Mudhuggger with the extension because the extension goes over the cross stay so crap will accumulate behind it.

So modified our rear Mudhuggers by attaching the cut off front of spare old mudguards to go under the cross stay. Didn't fit too well so reprofiled the new parts to fit nicely using boiling water. Didn't get clever about attaching to the rear Mudhuggers, just used black plastic number plate bolts. Been tested in some serious mud and works great. Made our shit flaps cut out of 2mm neoprene sheet and held by a cable tie.

20240125_123305.jpg 20240125_123238.jpg

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Didn't fit too well so reprofiled the new parts to fit nicely using boiling water.
I might give this a try first...

@p3eps Drill two holes through the guard and zip-tie it directly to the cross brace. That will stop it slipping and maximise clearance with the tyre. As @Growmac said protect the frame.
...and if that doesn't work, do this. I did this on my previous bike where I fitted a Mudhugger Front to the rear.

I just wondered if there are any Mucky Nutz owners running this thing without modifying it in any way?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use the Mudhugger FRX front muguard, as a rear mudguard all year round. It goes from chainstays cross member to about the top of the rear wheel. In the winter I fit the large rear Mudhugger over the top of the FRX and attach it with reuseable zip ties. I decide before each ride whether to take the large Mudhugger off or leave it on......either way its a 2 minute job.
The Mucky Nutz fits on the seat stays in the same way as the large rear Muhugger except the Mudhugger has a larger section that fits the seat stays with 6 zip tie positions. I have found it best to use 5 of those positions to keep the mudguard still. If the Mucky Nutz is used without its extension pieces the 2 zip tie positions may be enough to keep it stable.....i doubt the same would apply with the extension pieces on.
So I suggest you source a rear mudguard such as the Mudhugger FRX and fit that first. Then use the Mucky Nutz over the top of it.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I use 2 tie wraps per side and have never had this similar-design mud guard come off. or even move around a little. I do a lot of DIY car stuff, so I have a proper tie wrap attachment tool. Those wraps are TIGHT!

The suspension arm protection is just black gaffer tape.

20240125_124153.jpg
20240125_124212.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
maybe not as tight as you think!! Note the paint worn away on the seat stay just forward of the first zip tie! The same happened to my bike after a full winter season with the mudhugger on. I now use 5 of the 6 slots for zip ties!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles