Poor Battery Range Bosch 750

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
Good Evening, I’ve recently purchased A cube 140 TM 750kwh with the new Bosch smart system. I’m really happy with the bike but haven’t been happy with the range I’m getting!
I put it to the test and did 9 mile ride with a mix of road, trails & some off road climbs, I was left with 71% from full charge.
Right after I did the exact same ride on my trusted old Trek Powerfly LT9 with 500kwh Battery.(Gen 2 Motor) was left with 79% from full charge.
I understand the new Gen 4 has more torque than the Gen 2. However, it’s 50% more battery capacity so i would expect it to do slightly better, not worse. I did upgreat to get more range & save me from carrying a second battery. Anyone else experienced this? Maybe the battery is faulty?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Good Evening, I’ve recently purchased A cube 140 TM 750kwh with the new Bosch smart system. I’m really happy with the bike but haven’t been happy with the range I’m getting!
I put it to the test and did 9 mile ride with a mix of road, trails & some off road climbs, I was left with 71% from full charge.
Right after I did the exact same ride on my trusted old Trek Powerfly LT9 with 500kwh Battery.(Gen 2 Motor) was left with 79% from full charge.
I understand the new Gen 4 has more torque than the Gen 2. However, it’s 50% more battery capacity so i would expect it to do slightly better, not worse. I did upgreat to get more range & save me from carrying a second battery. Anyone else experienced this? Maybe the battery is faulty?
I have heard a few cases of this now. Bosch are aware and apparently it needs a software update to fix that’s due out very soon.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
It may even be your display readout that's not accurate, after all, it is not a scientific instrument.
My neighbour has just taken delivery of a Cube and was alarmed at how quickly the first 20% of the battery disappeared.
Have you emptied the battery on a ride yet as that will obviously give you the better idea of range than a digital gadget will.

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
It may even be your display readout that's not accurate, after all, it is not a scientific instrument.
My neighbour has just taken delivery of a Cube and was alarmed at how quickly the first 20% of the battery disappeared.
Have you emptied the battery on a ride yet as that will obviously give you the better idea of range than a digital gadget will.

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
That’s a very valid point, I did think about this. I occasionally use my old bike to cycle to work I would get here 25 miles on one battery. I need to do this journey on my new bike to compare.

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
For comparison, I have the Reaction with the 750w battery. I’ve done 69 miles so far on one charge, with the display tonight reading 23% remaining. That’s mostly Eco and Tour+ on tarmac, gravel and tracks with plenty of hills - and a bit of Turbo for the really steep bits. I’m heavy too at 100kg, plus 25kg bike and temps of 3-11degrees. I’m happy with that.

My one issue is that I don’t think the reported speed is 100% accurate. I’ve checked it against my Garmin (with and without speed sensor) and the bike is reading about 0.6mph fast. So at 15.5mph I’m actually only doing 14.9mph. I’d like that back please!

Last edited:

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
For comparison, I have the Reaction with the 750w battery. I’ve done 69 miles so far on one charge, with the display tonight reading 23% remaining. That’s mostly Eco and Tour+ on tarmac, gravel and tracks with plenty of hills - and a bit of Turbo for the really steep bits. I’m heavy too at 100kg, plus 25kg bike and temps of 3-11degrees. I’m happy with that.

My one issue is that I don’t think the reported speed is 100% accurate. I’ve checked it against my Garmin (with and without speed sensor) and the bike is reading about 0.6mph fast. So at 15.5mph I’m actually only doing 14.9mph. I’d like that back please!
That’s some range! I’ll be out tomorrow for a good long ride to see how well the battery performs. With my riding style I would expect 40-50 miles

devargos

Jan 17, 2022
Jersey
I find the range much better compared to my 5 year old 500w bosch. I would be very disappointed if it wasn't.

I also find it much more powerful I hardly use turbo on the new one.

As for the speed and distance being accurate you can adjust your wheel size in the flow app once I did this my flow was more similar to strava readings.

I'm really happy with the new system and app just not a fan of the bulky handlebar remote.

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
As for the speed and distance being accurate you can adjust your wheel size in the flow app once I did this my flow was more similar to strava readings.

Thanks, I’ll try that. I did see it on the app but it looked greyed out. I’ll try tomorrow reducing the wheel size slightly.

TooTallPaul

Oct 28, 2020
Bend, Oregon

I have a Rail with the same system arriving on 5/1. That said, I've been doing a lot of research and I've read elsewhere that if the wheel circumference setting is not correct it can cause your issue. Also read that people put a piece of tape on their tire and a tape measurer on the ground and then roll the bike for one tire rotation to get an accurate measurement. Just a thought.

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
I have a Rail with the same system arriving on 5/1. That said, I've been doing a lot of research and I've read elsewhere that if the wheel circumference setting is not correct it can cause your issue. Also read that people put a piece of tape on their tire and a tape measurer on the ground and then roll the bike for one tire rotation to get an accurate measurement. Just a thought.

Thanks TooTallPaul. Yes, that’s exactly what I did this afternoon, plus I ran a cloth tape around the tyre and took the average of the 2 measurements. The bike was set at 2360mm circumference, my measurement was 2325mm. I’ve corrected this in the app and a quick test reveals I’m now within 0.1mph of my Garmin, so very happy with that!

Fatsweaty

Sep 1, 2021
UK
Just for comparison I rode my Crafty R 750 battery bike for first time yesterday on bridleways/Tarmac/trails varied ride no big hills mostly in Eco a bit in Tour+ and a tiny bit in Emtb. 25kg+ Crafty R alloy frame....me 100kg approx....2.6 Minion DHF/DHR fitted as new . I rode 34 miles and had 54% Battery left to go.

I was pleased with that but I am a first time Ebike user so have no previous experience.

TooTallPaul

Oct 28, 2020
Bend, Oregon
Thanks TooTallPaul. Yes, that’s exactly what I did this afternoon, plus I ran a cloth tape around the tyre and took the average of the 2 measurements. The bike was set at 2360mm circumference, my measurement was 2325mm. I’ve corrected this in the app and a quick test reveals I’m now within 0.1mph of my Garmin, so very happy with that!
Excellent. I'll be doing that day one when I get my new bike. Thanks.

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
That’s some range! I’ll be out tomorrow for a good long ride to see how well the battery performs. With my riding style I would expect 40-50 miles

Just back from my mornings ride.
Just for comparison I rode my Crafty R 750 battery bike for first time yesterday on bridleways/Tarmac/trails varied ride no big hills mostly in Eco a bit in Tour+ and a tiny bit in Emtb. 25kg+ Crafty R alloy frame....me 100kg approx....2.6 Minion DHF/DHR fitted as new . I rode 34 miles and had 54% Battery left to go.

I was pleased with that but I am a first time Ebike user so have no previous experience.
I’m getting nothing like this, 36miles from full battery’s to 0%. How many charge cycles has your battery done? I’m hoping it improves

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
I weight 11.5 stone, EMBT & tour mode, Mostly flat, 36miles on 750kwh isn’t great. Hopefully the battery will perform better after a few charge cycles. when riding My old Trek LT9 (bosch Gen 2 500kwh) I would take a second battery. I was hoping after upgrading to Cube TM 750kwh I wouldn’t need a spare battery. Also The Kiox remote is a bit bulky & I keep knocking it by accident. Otherwise, I really happy with the bike.

Andyvicks

Oct 12, 2020
Leicester
It does take a few charge and discharge cycles to get the most from the lithium ion batteries, but if its a known problem then hopefully there's a fix on the way.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I’m picking up my new Cube 140SL this coming week so will be doing a couple of test rides and will report back

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles