Pic of the Day

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Nice little 15 miler early evening ride to test a few tweaks on the Aibi set up. The bike felt nice tonight and as a bonus..... No cleaning needed on return home. Sweeeeeeet.
IMG_20220704_183917.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'd love to see the DH if Squamish is XC :ROFLMAO:

The trails at squamish are unbelievably good, I'd love to spend a month there exploring. We rode Half Nelson and a bunch of tech lines a few years back on a shuttle day, been telling everyone how epic it is since.
I first went there 15 years ago fam
Squamish has some XC but it’s known more for its steep, loose and slabby trails that have high consequence. We also boast some pretty epic machine built fast, flowy and jumpy trails. Worth the stop on your next trip through!!
Nice colour of bike that

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Yesterday we went and did a little exploring in Simi Valley. There were a couple noteworthy trails we wanted to hit. The rocks in this area are GREAT -- mega traction, skill building stuff. There's something for everyone here.

Looking out over the valley
IMG_6471.jpeg

Smooth rock slabs and bar-grabbing gaps
IMG_6479.jpeg

My buddy is in blue, near the center of the shot. Above to the right is a rock slab with about 100 feet of drop. It was totally ridable, but when I got to the bottom and looked back up, all I could think was "fuuuuuu... that looks steep."
IMG_6482.jpeg

My trusty steed.
IMG_6486.jpeg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yesterday we went and did a little exploring in Simi Valley. There were a couple noteworthy trails we wanted to hit. The rocks in this area are GREAT -- mega traction, skill building stuff. There's something for everyone here.

Looking out over the valley
View attachment 91870

Smooth rock slabs and bar-grabbing gaps
View attachment 91871

My buddy is in blue, near the center of the shot. Above to the right is a rock slab with about 100 feet of drop. It was totally ridable, but when I got to the bottom and looked back up, all I could think was "fuuuuuu... that looks steep."
View attachment 91872

My trusty steed.
View attachment 91873
When I see pictures of them places I imagine they are way out in the wilds , like really remote ??? . Get a puncture and you would either die of thirst , or get bitten my à rattlesnake.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The start of a road trip thru the Interior of BC. Penticton is usually in the mid 30s but not only did it rain yesterday, it was only 24 degrees today.
Heading there in a few weeks. We usually vacation in OK Falls every year but last year was hot and very smokey. Like you said, 24c is kinda cool for the valley. Rode the trails around Summerland to Oliver. Rode to Penticton to visit the LBS’s via the trails
It’s a great place travel and ride and explore. 3DD6D8A0-88CC-48BC-B1F9-F4B0314096DF.jpeg
Fires in Oliver
842687C5-C43D-4A6B-B0E4-F4CD035035F5.jpeg
The Wineries.
F8CE3A21-D66B-4279-B35D-6464513C4FEE.jpeg
The smokey sunsets.
89EF7115-9DAC-47C5-A0C0-BA0C58B78073.jpeg
The wildlife.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
When I see pictures of them places I imagine they are way out in the wilds , like really remote ??? . Get a puncture and you would either die of thirst , or get bitten my à rattlesnake.

Well... I don't like to dwell on awful stuff... but it's serious games we play in the hills, so sometimes it's good to have the discussion.

95% of my adventures are in Southern California. Most people think of our area as densely populated with hobos, hookers, rock stars, and tourists slathered in sun-block. That might be true, but there are rugged natural areas on all sides where the "civilized" people dare not venture. The pictures from earlier today were taken within two miles of a city and freeway. So in this case, the ride wasn't all that remote. Most of my rides are like that, only a few miles from civilization.

To the north of me is a range of mountains that tops 10,000 feet. To the east is a range that tops 11,000 feet. And to the south is a range only half as tall, but if you are not prepared, things can become serious. Every year you read about someone in SoCal dying of thirst... or freezing to death... or falling to their deaths. And sometimes bodies aren't found for quite some time. Like I said, it's serious business.

While the above is all true, it doesn't completely answer the implied question. Riding in the wilderness is safer than walking down the street in the ghetto. Carry plenty of water, an emergency bivy sack when it's cold, a little nutrition, tire plugs, a tube, and a flashlight. Tell someone your intended route. Study the maps before you go. Risks CAN be mitigated.

Rattlesnakes are not the threat that people imagine. They don't like people. They don't want anything to do with people. Give them half a chance, and they'll slither away. They feel your footsteps and hide before you know they're there. It's the same with mountain lions, bears, coyotes, and surly jackrabbits. None of them want anything to do with us.

So there you have it, the God's honest truth. Renew your passports, book the flight, pack up the wife and kids, and get ready to spend your vacation dollars exploring the SAFE Southern California.

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Well... I don't like to dwell on awful stuff... but it's serious games we play in the hills, so sometimes it's good to have the discussion.

95% of my adventures are in Southern California. Most people think of our area as densely populated with hobos, hookers, rock stars, and tourists slathered in sun-block. That might be true, but there are rugged natural areas on all sides where the "civilized" people dare not venture. The pictures from earlier today were taken within two miles of a city and freeway. So in this case, the ride wasn't all that remote. Most of my rides are like that, only a few miles from civilization.

To the north of me is a range of mountains that tops 10,000 feet. To the east is a range that tops 11,000 feet. And to the south is a range only half as tall, but if you are not prepared, things can become serious. Every year you read about someone in SoCal dying of thirst... or freezing to death... or falling to their deaths. And sometimes bodies aren't found for quite some time. Like I said, it's serious business.

While the above is all true, it doesn't completely answer the implied question. Riding in the wilderness is safer than walking down the street in the ghetto. Carry plenty of water, an emergency bivy sack when it's cold, a little nutrition, tire plugs, a tube, and a flashlight. Tell someone your intended route. Study the maps before you go. Risks CAN be mitigated.

Rattlesnakes are not the threat that people imagine. They don't like people. They don't want anything to do with people. Give them half a chance, and they'll slither away. They feel your footsteps and hide before you know they're there. It's the same with mountain lions, bears, coyotes, and surly jackrabbits. None of them want anything to do with us.

So there you have it, the God's honest truth. Renew your passports, book the flight, pack up the wife and kids, and get ready to spend your vacation dollars exploring the SAFE Southern California.
Also an emergency location beacon

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
It's the same with mountain lions,
Except for that bloke that got dragged off his MTB and killed and then the mountain lion attacked a woman MTBer a short time later.

A couple of years ago I went out for a ride on my own, around a 30km ride. When I was way out the back of nowhere, no mobile phone reception, no vehicle access roads and about 15ks from a major highway. I thought to my self, jeez you wouldn't want to break a leg out here. No helicopter recovery service, no vehicle access and I didn't tell anyone where I was going.

Just towards the end of the ride, literally only mere meters' from the main road, I clipped a rock at warp speed on a downhill and launched into a creek bed ravine and broke my collarbone. There was no way I could ride my bike, I was so grateful it didn't happen 15ks out the back of nowhere!

Another time I came around a corner to see one of Australia's most venomous snakes right in my path sunning itself on a corner, with no time to react I ran straight over the top of it and it made multiple strikes to try and bite me. I even felt the thump of a bite on one of my 5ten shoes. I got about 30 metres away and checked myself for bites, luckily..none! I really don't know what I would've done had I been bitten as I was around 8ks from any help, riding out with one of these bites would be a certain death sentence.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Except for that bloke that got dragged off his MTB and killed and then the mountain lion attacked a woman MTBer a short time later.

A couple of years ago I went out for a ride on my own, around a 30km ride. When I was way out the back of nowhere, no mobile phone reception, no vehicle access roads and about 15ks from a major highway. I thought to my self, jeez you wouldn't want to break a leg out here. No helicopter recovery service, no vehicle access and I didn't tell anyone where I was going.

Just towards the end of the ride, literally only mere meters' from the main road, I clipped a rock at warp speed on a downhill and launched into a creek bed ravine and broke my collarbone. There was no way I could ride my bike, I was so grateful it didn't happen 15ks out the back of nowhere!

Another time I came around a corner to see one of Australia's most venomous snakes right in my path sunning itself on a corner, with no time to react I ran straight over the top of it and it made multiple strikes to try and bite me. I even felt the thump of a bite on one of my 5ten shoes. I got about 30 metres away and checked myself for bites, luckily..none! I really don't know what I would've done had I been bitten as I was around 8ks from any help, riding out with one of these bites would be a certain death sentence.

Altho I have seen lots of bears (I even ran into one once at Whistler - they are quite used to people there) and a few snakes here and there, in BC we have a vast wilderness full of riding trails. When NOT in the Whistler Bike Park, we do carry bear spray but had never gotten close enough to try it out as they usually see/hear us and run off. I have never seen a cougar but lots of coyotes. When I ride by myself I am not as ambitious as I am when I ride with others. Anything could happen on any given ride. Its part of the risk we all take. I have been part of a rescue were an XC dude went zipping by me all full of piss and vinger only to crash and puncture his femural artery. Fortunately for him, there was a nurse passing by and I always have my phone with me and we have a great Search and Rescue squad that are always ready, willing and able. They were there in 30 minutes. Ride safe!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
600 m vertically up and you find that the planned trail is forbidden for bikes. Nice @molveno, italy

View attachment 92033

View attachment 92034

View attachment 92035

View attachment 92036

A couple of friends and I did something similar many years ago in Washington State. At the trail head there was a sign that stated that the trail was a "Wilderness Area". Being from Canada, which was only 75 km north, where everywhere is a wilderness area, the sign didn't mean anything special to us. As we rode our bike to Mt. Baker Glacier, where we had kied to many times before, we got a few dirty looks. Suddenly 3 Park Ranger, who were running up the trail, came at us screaming "This is a Wilderness Area!!!" I asknowledged the fact that I could see an abundance of trees just like we have in Canada. They informed me that in Wilderness Areas NO mechanical devices are allowed, not even to make or maintain the trail. We said we didnt know and apologized. They made us carry our bike back down the trail and then gave each of us a $150 fine. Lesson learned. Look at Trailforks.
Mt Baker Glacer.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles