Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
Anyone find a water bottle that fits a 2019 kenevo? I've worn a pack for so long and ridden bikes that couldn't fit a cage, I know nothing about bottles, and the first one I bought, a 21oz camelbak bottle didn't fit! Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

george

Jan 10, 2019
Chile
Anyone find a water bottle that fits a 2019 kenevo? I've worn a pack for so long and ridden bikes that couldn't fit a cage, I know nothing about bottles, and the first one I bought, a 21oz camelbak bottle didn't fit! Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

You should get a left or right side loading design that allows you to easily manage bottles when space on the frame is limited.

This cage could work
Zee Cage II – Left | Specialized.com

Now the tricky part is the bottle and for which kenevo? Since there is little more room on the expert than the comp.

I get the cage and the bottle,. just to realize that bottle doesn't fit in my kenevo comp.

I'm guessing that a kids bottle could fit.

MVIMG_20190119_130123.jpg

IMG_20190119_125928.jpg

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
You should get a left or right side loading design that allows you to easily manage bottles when space on the frame is limited.

This cage could work
Zee Cage II – Left | Specialized.com

Now the tricky part is the bottle and for which kenevo? Since there is little more room on the expert than the comp.

I get the cage and the bottle,. just to realize that bottle doesn't fit in my kenevo comp.

I'm guessing that a kids bottle could fit.

View attachment 9823

View attachment 9824
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a '19 kenevo expert. I just went 16 oz and it fit. Now that I moved the cage down, it barely fits the 21 oz, but better than your crammed in-bottle. Haha. That makes me feel better to know others gotta cram that thing in there as best they can too In messing with the cage, I found that sweet little tool they snuck on there. Nice. Thanks again for the answer.

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
large. I'm a little over 6' with a 31" inseam and it fits perfect (extra info for anyone else interested in sizing). I did chop about 3/4" off each side of the bars, and put Wolftooth Fatpaws on it. I'm making it tubeless today, and- even though I do fit over the seat on steeps and jumps, I'm still going to eventually replace what seems to be a garbage seatpost (though I figured I was going to replace it when I bought the bike after reading the reviews). Granted, the idea is good, but what's the point of a post tilting back if it adds another hinge that can be stripped/loosened on impact (did that 3rd ride), and it requires the seat to have less drop length? But overall, the bike is just insanely epic. Got in 6 downhills on my second ride, rather than the 3 I would've normally gotten, and the bike just slays up and down.

melonhead

Feb 9, 2019
Killingworth Australia
G'day everyone. I have a back injury that has stopped me riding my KTM dirtbike and limits my ability to ride my 2012 Enduro, especially when climbing where the pain is worst. I am considering selling my KTM to finance a Kenevo. I primarily want the bike to self shuttle the DH tracks here so am not too concerned about uphill speed, just having the assistance to ride multiple runs is what I need. I am leaning towards the Comp rather than the Expert. Here are my reasons:
1. The Comp comes with 30mm inside rims where the Expert has 38mm. I don't plan on even leaving the shop without 2.6 blck dmnd casing tyres fitted so was thinking that the wider rims on the Expert might be prone to more damage with the narrower tyres fitted offering less bag/protection to the rim.
2. I don't want the WU dropper post as I am tall and want a proper 150mm drop post.
3. I think I would rather the FOX shock as I reckon it would be easier for me to service than the OHLINS. and more places would be able to repair it if it had problems.
4. My Enduro only has a Lyric R on it and I reckon it rides fantastic, and I have never wished for a better fork. I assume the Yari will be leaps and bounds better than my Lyric so don't see this as a reason to need to pay extra for the Expert.

I would really like the 1.3 motor and 500wh battery of the Expert, but if I got the Expert I think I would have to spend more money and swap more parts than if I got the Comp, on top of the extra $1300 purchase price.

Does my reasoning make sense? Would I be happy with 1.2E motor and 460wh battery considering I have never ridden an EBIKE for reference? Thanks for your help

Matt71

Mar 7, 2019
Lincolnshire
Hi all , I'm hopefully going to order a kenevo expert tomorrow , I did sit on a large levo yesterday and if felt good , but I believe the kenevo is a little bigger ?.
I'm 5.10 with 32 inside leg so between sizes on the specialized chart .
Any advice on size would be welcome .
Chris
which size did you settle on Chris ?
Thanks in advance

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
G'day everyone. I have a back injury that has stopped me riding my KTM dirtbike and limits my ability to ride my 2012 Enduro, especially when climbing where the pain is worst. I am considering selling my KTM to finance a Kenevo. I primarily want the bike to self shuttle the DH tracks here so am not too concerned about uphill speed, just having the assistance to ride multiple runs is what I need. I am leaning towards the Comp rather than the Expert. Here are my reasons:
1. The Comp comes with 30mm inside rims where the Expert has 38mm. I don't plan on even leaving the shop without 2.6 blck dmnd casing tyres fitted so was thinking that the wider rims on the Expert might be prone to more damage with the narrower tyres fitted offering less bag/protection to the rim.
2. I don't want the WU dropper post as I am tall and want a proper 150mm drop post.
3. I think I would rather the FOX shock as I reckon it would be easier for me to service than the OHLINS. and more places would be able to repair it if it had problems.
4. My Enduro only has a Lyric R on it and I reckon it rides fantastic, and I have never wished for a better fork. I assume the Yari will be leaps and bounds better than my Lyric so don't see this as a reason to need to pay extra for the Expert.

I would really like the 1.3 motor and 500wh battery of the Expert, but if I got the Expert I think I would have to spend more money and swap more parts than if I got the Comp, on top of the extra $1300 purchase price.

Does my reasoning make sense? Would I be happy with 1.2E motor and 460wh battery considering I have never ridden an EBIKE for reference? Thanks for your help
You already answer questions 2-4 yourself ;)
Number 1: If you put tires with thicker side walls like Schwalbe Magi Mary or Eddy Cuurent or Maxxis HDR/E then there is no problem. But everything can be broken.

Just remember, with bigger battery, you get one more lap

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
O. K. ... I thought this was a kenevo owners thread... Not a " let's bash the kenevo"! Thread...???
But what the heck! I'll throw in my two cents worth, as a new kenevo owner!
( Not that anyone asked me..?)
And my reasons (that are very personal..) for choosing it.
I've been mountain biking for over 15 years.. started out when no one knew what all mountain was here in my country! And everyone Rodd cross country bikes.. and I rolled out with my new Kona coiler!
Everyone thought I was crazzy...
So you can say I was always a non conformist.. anyway rode all mountain .. got into downhill and did that several years, till I got tired of it and went back to AM.
My last AM bike was 150mm bike, that I had to put a 160mm fork on.. to feel good.. and needless to say it was heavier than most.. but I always enjoy the extra " plush".. on the downhill parts of the trails...
Soo...when I came to buy a specialized ebike... I bought into the 2019 levo hype..
Then realized the new levo had been downgraded to 130mm..travel - fork.
What!? Why!?... No way. Not me.!
Second reason...the 2019 has a much better motor... But it's damn expensive!!!
And even if I went with the 2018 model.. to get any kind of decent components like I'm used to.. I would have to get the s works! And that would cost an arm and a leg...
Then I saw this amazing long travel bike! The kenevo! That does it all! With top of the line components! For the price of the basic levo...
Now initially, I thought, it was a little more travel than I could pedal up hill... But it's an ebike!! Who cares!??
And I must say! If you have the power.. long travel going up hill is great! It makes it easier to tackle those big rocks and obstacles when climbing and the big plus size tires give amazing grip! I never had, even with 2.4 tires on my AM bike!
I don't even lock out the shocks.. let them do their job! It may not be quite as quick and nimble in verry tight and slow passages of trail.. as a AM bike.. due to the fork offset.. but to me!? The plush bottomless ride! The carefree security it gives me flying down the trail or downhill tracks.. and the Rock solid feel! Of a big bike!(I ride a large) and the low bottom bracket make it "rail"! Singletrack! And make me feel like a pro! Doing it!
Now that I've tried it.. I would never! Go back!
It's simply made me fall in love! With biking all over! And with this bike in particular?
So if your a " weekend warrior' like me.. and not a pro rider.. and your not a weight weenie ...or a " tight techy only" style rider..
This bike just might be for you!.. if you can handle it? as it will make you want to go fast and hard,!!!! And improve your skill set.
Tim

IMG_20190307_200914.jpg

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
O. K. ... I thought this was a kenevo owners thread... Not a " let's bash the kenevo"! Thread...???
But what the heck! I'll throw in my two cents worth, as a new kenevo owner!
( Not that anyone asked me..?)
And my reasons (that are very personal..) for choosing it.
I've been mountain biking for over 15 years.. started out when no one knew what all mountain was here in my country! And everyone Rodd cross country bikes.. and I rolled out with my new Kona coiler!
Everyone thought I was crazzy...
So you can say I was always a non conformist.. anyway rode all mountain .. got into downhill and did that several years, till I got tired of it and went back to AM.
My last AM bike was 150mm bike, that I had to put a 160mm fork on.. to feel good.. and needless to say it was heavier than most.. but I always enjoy the extra " plush".. on the downhill parts of the trails...
Soo...when I came to buy a specialized ebike... I bought into the 2019 levo hype..
Then realized the new levo had been downgraded to 130mm..travel - fork.
What!? Why!?... No way. Not me.!
Second reason...the 2019 has a much better motor... But it's damn expensive!!!
And even if I went with the 2018 model.. to get any kind of decent components like I'm used to.. I would have to get the s works! And that would cost an arm and a leg...
Then I saw this amazing long travel bike! The kenevo! That does it all! With top of the line components! For the price of the basic levo...
Now initially, I thought, it was a little more travel than I could pedal up hill... But it's an ebike!! Who cares!??
And I must say! If you have the power.. long travel going up hill is great! It makes it easier to tackle those big rocks and obstacles when climbing and the big plus size tires give amazing grip! I never had, even with 2.4 tires on my AM bike!
I don't even lock out the shocks.. let them do their job! It may not be quite as quick and nimble in verry tight and slow passages of trail.. as a AM bike.. due to the fork offset.. but to me!? The plush bottomless ride! The carefree security it gives me flying down the trail or downhill tracks.. and the Rock solid feel! Of a big bike!(I ride a large) and the low bottom bracket make it "rail"! Singletrack! And make me feel like a pro! Doing it!
Now that I've tried it.. I would never! Go back!
It's simply made me fall in love! With biking all over! And with this bike in particular?
So if your a " weekend warrior' like me.. and not a pro rider.. and your not a weight weenie ...or a " tight techy only" style rider..
This bike just might be for you!.. if you can handle it? as it will make you want to go fast and hard,!!!! And improve your skill set.
Tim

View attachment 11635
Nuff said (y)

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel

how tall are you???
Im 1.87m and have no problem at all with the height of the WU dropper post.
its plenty high for pedaling, and goes way low! for downhill.
evn if its only 120 travel, the seat angle adjusts automaticaly and really makes up for the difference.
as for the Lyric, it works amazingly!
i dont know about the servicing options on the ohlins... but hope it wont need much!
i can really! recomend the expert! its a true downhill rig...and i understand thats what you want.
Tim

melonhead

Feb 9, 2019
Killingworth Australia
You already answer questions 2-4 yourself ;)
Number 1: If you put tires with thicker side walls like Schwalbe Magi Mary or Eddy Cuurent or Maxxis HDR/E then there is no problem. But everything can be broken.

Just remember, with bigger battery, you get one more lap
Thanks mate. I guess I just wanted to check if I was making sense. I agree that one more lap might be worth the extra expense

melonhead

Feb 9, 2019
Killingworth Australia
how tall are you???
Im 1.87m and have no problem at all with the height of the WU dropper post.
its plenty high for pedaling, and goes way low! for downhill.
evn if its only 120 travel, the seat angle adjusts automaticaly and really makes up for the difference.
as for the Lyric, it works amazingly!
i dont know about the servicing options on the ohlins... but hope it wont need much!
i can really! recomend the expert! its a true downhill rig...and i understand thats what you want.
Tim
I am about 195 cm tall I think, or about 6'4". The Command post on my Enduro only has 125mm drop, which is fine most of the time, but on downhill tracks I need to drop the post in the frame otherwise it gets in the way of my arse on really steep stuff. I am positive the new Lyrik will be an amazing fork, but was wondering if it is significantly better than the Yari. I really want the Expert, but at $2300 more than the Comp, and me being a bit short on funds, I am weighing up my options. I want to be able to do full downhill runs, but also tool around on XC tracks when time is short. Thanks for your help men.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Got this information on Facebook.

Hi everyone,
If any of you guys are after a heavier weight spring for your Kenevo i have these sizes in stock ready to go . I also make custom spring for Levos and any other bike and shock manufacturer.If any one is interested please PM me .
The Kenevo springs are 135mm with 36mmID

Spring weight. Rider Weight
575lb. 85kg
625lb. 103kg
650lb. 108kg
675lb. 111kg
700lb. 116kg
725lb. 120kg
750lb 124 kg
These are only a guide as every rider has a different style of riding .
All springs are manufactured from hard drawn silicon/chrome
Springs are coiled and then go through heat treatment
Heat treatment is 400 degrees
Springs are then de-burred and ends closed ground finish.
Next all springs are shot peened after which they are then heat treated 220 degrees for 20 min.
All springs are then pre-stressed
Then springs go through our paint process which is first zinc phosphate is applied and then
Powder coated Yellow gloss finish.
Cost of Spring £90 +postage
The springs will also fit the Fox shock which you get on the Kenevo Comp and many other shocks .
For custom made one off springs please pm me for a price .
SICO SPRINGS
sicomtbproducts.com -coming soon

NZ64biker

Jan 15, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Hi Guys,
So far loving the Kenevo best bike I have owned period!! both myself and brother brought 1 last xmas and regularly ride.
Just wondered if anyone else has smashed the rear Derailer ?? I lost one a month into owning the bike it hit a branch on the track and the rear cassette mashed it!!!!! also just last weekend my brothers bike did the same thing, a branch on the track flicked up and caught the Deralier. Is there anything a little stronger out there it seems a real weak point snaps like a carrot !!!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
A mate is on his third mech on his kenevo, somehow I'm still on my first but it's looking pretty battered. My plan is to fit a cheaper drivetrain when I destroy the mech, the std sram ones are £100 or so each.

The mech hangers are also very fragile, it's worth keeping a spare in your pack in case you bend or break it while riding

NZ64biker

Jan 15, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Yeah ordered a spare hanger for that reason, thinking of ordering a spare Derailer oh and BTW the cable gets munted as well so will get one of those spare for the next opps ... sucks when its broken and you can’t ride it would be good to figure out some spares or solution for a quick fix on the track to at least get back to the car, not good when your miles away and having to walk.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got a set of 152mm you can have for £30 posted. Only used a couple of times.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Yeah ordered a spare hanger for that reason, thinking of ordering a spare Derailer oh and BTW the cable gets munted as well so will get one of those spare for the next opps ... sucks when its broken and you can’t ride it would be good to figure out some spares or solution for a quick fix on the track to at least get back to the car, not good when your miles away and having to walk.

I keep a spare hanger in my bag just in case, because they're tiny, but unless you regularly do propper wilderness rides, carrying a spare mech is probably overkill.

My mate who has destroyed 3 kenevo mechs so far has put in an extra power link in his chain so when he destroys a mech, he can take out a section and convert to singlespeed.

Silverfox101010

Jan 22, 2019
Pa55word
Hey all had the bike a while now and I'm using the bike more and more in eco, just to save the battery for more runs.
I'm using blevo and have the motor output at 80% and the assist at 30% what she everyone else's settings? Or do you all turbo everywhere lol cheers

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Eco 15%
Trail 45%
Turbo 75%
ish

I use eco on descents so the bike handles like a regular bike, and for when I'm riding with mates on regular bikes. Trail when I'm on my own or riding with ebikes and turbo when I need a kick to get up something.

Mykp8

Mar 26, 2019
North Georgia, US
Got the Kenevo Friday and sold the Levo Saturday (2017). Dude texted within the hour after I let him demo it. I'll take it! I let him have the 29 wheelset I build and the 27.5s it came with. Said he wasn't going to run it but 29, appreciated the extras.
Anyway... on the Kenevo -WU post > first thing to go.
I wanted to like it but after the first ride it just didn't have enough drop. I'm 6'3" and the Large works great but man, that post. Even extended there was just something weird about it. I have a 170mm 34.9 I used to run on my Wreckoning that is spot on. Currently also trying out a 29 on front with a Magic Mary, we shall see how that fares.

Silverfox101010

Jan 22, 2019
Pa55word
Ok I have had a bad rubbing noise appear when doing big landings! I have been trying to source the noise and I have finally found it. And would like some input from others if they have had any noises from there ttx coil

Basically the spring is rubbing on the black shaft at full compression and is scuffing it up it has also worn the paint off of the spring! I have solved it with a bit of grease for now.
It seems to me like the springs inside diameter is not big enough.
I removed the shock spring and I found I had to screw the spring up until the rear end raised enough to set my sag at the correct amount, which is basically an inch down the shaft from where the collar locates on the spring? Way more than 2 turns preload recommended??bike is large and is correct weight spring??

Any ideas can someone see if there's is the same all I can think of is it's a stretched spring.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest

Just for getting back to the car you could shorten the chain and make it a single-speed bike ;)

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Just for getting back to the car you could shorten the chain and make it a single-speed bike ;)

As I said above: My mate who has destroyed 3 kenevo mechs so far has put in an extra power link in his chain so when he destroys a mech, he can take out a section and convert to singlespeed.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Got the Kenevo Friday and sold the Levo Saturday (2017). Dude texted within the hour after I let him demo it. I'll take it! I let him have the 29 wheelset I build and the 27.5s it came with. Said he wasn't going to run it but 29, appreciated the extras.
Anyway... on the Kenevo -WU post > first thing to go.
I wanted to like it but after the first ride it just didn't have enough drop. I'm 6'3" and the Large works great but man, that post. Even extended there was just something weird about it. I have a 170mm 34.9 I used to run on my Wreckoning that is spot on. Currently also trying out a 29 on front with a Magic Mary, we shall see how that fares.
Yes! please keep us informed how the 29" front wheel went... i assume its on the standard Lyric fork? with what width tire?
Thanks
Tim

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles