Official Canyon EMTB Thread

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
Just joined and wondering......
Justchillin noticed you've got Eddie Currents how do you rate them ? Hubby's just put them on his and about to use them, he feels they give much more grip than the minions, just wanted to know what others though ?

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
Just joined and wondering......
Justchillin noticed you've got Eddie Currents how do you rate them ? Hubby's just put them on his and about to use them, he feels they give much more grip than the minions, just wanted to know what others though ?
Hi yes the best yet?I’ve tried minions,magic mary’s and spesh hillbilly’s. The front end feel is amazing

Jonah

Dec 23, 2018
Abergavenny
Hi
Anyone have any issues with frame bearings? Finally got my spectral on 6.0 and frame bearings have failed after about 6 rides. Cwmcarn, afan and glyncorrwg were enjoyed, but then the dreaded knocking. Bad set/poor general quality of the initial bearings. All pivot points were at the appropriate torque. Really good bike, surprised me on the descents so disappointed I’ve now got to sort bearings. Cheers

Wayne Barker

Dec 3, 2018
Bath
Hi
Anyone have any issues with frame bearings? Finally got my spectral on 6.0 and frame bearings have failed after about 6 rides. Cwmcarn, afan and glyncorrwg were enjoyed, but then the dreaded knocking. Bad set/poor general quality of the initial bearings. All pivot points were at the appropriate torque. Really good bike, surprised me on the descents so disappointed I’ve now got to sort bearings. Cheers
Hi Jonah
I've just noticed that I have some play where the rear shock joins to the bike. I've checked the torque settings and they are all correct. Is this where you noticed your issue?

Jonah

Dec 23, 2018
Abergavenny
Hi Wayne,
The issues for me are the bearings inside the upper chain stay joining the rocker link and where the shock yoke joins. I’ve got a local bike shop doing the work and will have a look at the whole area. It is an area which would get some stress. If you can confirm the issue canyon will cover it if you can get your bike to them if they have given up outside of expected wear and tear. Bearings do get stress so I would have expected to change them 1or even 2 times a year under decent riding. Mine failed after only 6 rides or so, so I expected that to be a warranty issue. Also check for shock bushing wear

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Just spent the day in the peak district, 35km 3000 feet climbing, 2 bars left on the battery.
Did parkin clough, the beast, spud ally, lockerbrook/screaming mile and alpine line/les arcs.
The bike spits out boulders like it’s shelling peas.
Far too good a bike for my meagre talents.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Just spent the day in the peak district, 35km 3000 feet climbing, 2 bars left on the battery.
Did parkin clough, the beast, spud ally, lockerbrook/screaming mile and alpine line/les arcs.
The bike spits out boulders like it’s shelling peas.
Far too good a bike for my meagre talents.
Sounds epic, I'm taking mine to Antur Stiniog next week and I'm praying for good weather

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
just got back from stainburn, first time over there on emtb and first time there since the chopped all the trees down, the boulder trail is still as fucking bonkers as i remember it, i was hoping a bit of battery power would help me tame it a bit especially climbing the boulders but i guess i need to up my game a bit, it is sooo technical, nice to see the have left the see saw.
Got a nice bit of air on the table top on the red route but underestimated the speed the heavier bike was carrying on the big drop and couldn’t slow down in time for the berm the first time round and binned it into the berm.
The descent line absolutely brilliant just rumbles straight thru the rocks.
Ventured over the road to norwood edge, not sure if there has been some felling going on or if they are actively developing trails there but there are 3 or 4 decent descents appearing with various option off them, great day out exploring.

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Finally rode my bike today. Only 2.5 miles on the road, but its a start:
1551553180658.png

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
Just booked a couple of days to go up to Grizedale and Whinlatter in April, looking forward to them both. Grizedale looks much more techy so we'll do that the first day, but Whinlatter looks lots of fast fun.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Just booked a couple of days to go up to Grizedale and Whinlatter in April, looking forward to them both. Grizedale looks much more techy so we'll do that the first day, but Whinlatter looks lots of fast fun.
I went to Whinlatter for the first time Last weekend, it was pretty fun. I only had time to do the north loop, some of the guys there said that the south loop is a lot more flowy and fast.

If you get the time I would recommend some natural riding around there. We have done Pooley Bridge to Glenridding via cockpit. Its an amazing ride which fast flowy sections some tough technical bits and all around amazing views riding along side lake ullswater

Edit: I do have a video but unfortunately the weather was awful that day so the footage isn't the best

Last edited:

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
just got back from stainburn, first time over there on emtb and first time there since the chopped all the trees down, the boulder trail is still as fucking bonkers as i remember it, i was hoping a bit of battery power would help me tame it a bit especially climbing the boulders but i guess i need to up my game a bit, it is sooo technical, nice to see the have left the see saw.
Got a nice bit of air on the table top on the red route but underestimated the speed the heavier bike was carrying on the big drop and couldn’t slow down in time for the berm the first time round and binned it into the berm.
The descent line absolutely brilliant just rumbles straight thru the rocks.
Ventured over the road to norwood edge, not sure if there has been some felling going on or if they are actively developing trails there but there are 3 or 4 decent descents appearing with various option off them, great day out exploring.
@dwr budr Do you have a GoPro? I would love to see some footage of other areas I can go and explore

Here is the footage from yesterday. I'm getting a lot more comfortable on the bike and my riding has improved massively. I have recently taken the token out of my fork and I'm now using all the travel, I've also put a cheap rim insert in the back tire from Rimpact which felt amazing yesterday. I will put it to a real test at Antur Stiniog on Friday.

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
Llandegla is our play ground as there's not much my end and it's only 1 hour away for a bit of fun, either that or it's Cannock Chase and I'm not keen on there. You do it a lot quicker than I do Clansey, but since getting the Canyon it's given me much more confidence, the haibike feels more like a sit up and beg bike now.
I never rode mountain bikes, just horses then in 2015 after lots of nagging from hubs to get a bike we bough a typical Halfords bike. In 2016 bought the haibikes then last year, cause I love it, bought the canyons.......best things ever :) Not bad got a 55 yr old women I don't think.
Our first ride was Drumlanrig red route, boy that was an eye opener and the next day we did Ae blue and red route.......bearing in mind this was only my second time on the bike, did not know what I was doing and just decided to go yep see what happens, this was the result....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKfoeLFL-tY&t=6s

Came off it the wettest place I could find. !!!!

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
@dwr budr Do you have a GoPro? I would love to see some footage of other areas I can go and explore

Here is the footage from yesterday. I'm getting a lot more comfortable on the bike and my riding has improved massively. I have recently taken the token out of my fork and I'm now using all the travel, I've also put a cheap rim insert in the back tire from Rimpact which felt amazing yesterday. I will put it to a real test at Antur Stiniog on Friday.

i have got one, had it a couple of years, never use it - paranoid the first time i film myself i’m going to have a massive off !!! peak district is awesome there’s so much over there both official and ‘unofficial’ to be honest none of the youtube videos do it justice IMO.
As for stainburn, i always try to visit when i’m up there visiting family, divides opinion a lot. the loops are relatively short so you’ll be mainly sessioning but there’s still a good days riding to be had.
The opinion divider is the warren boulder trail, black trail (or double black if you go by the two black dots you see on a few of the slabs) - although it’s only a 4km loop some say it’s the hardest trail in the uk, not sure about that as i’ve not ridden them all but it is bloody hard, ive never come close to cleaning it and there are still a couple of features i bottle every time as i don’t really want the air ambulance coming out to me. Some of it is almost like motorbike trials riding where you need balance, poise and power and constantly shifting your body weight to get the bike to where you need it to be.
It’s 95% riding on boulders/rock apart from a bit of boardwalk and a see saw..
Whether you enjoy it or not it’s worth going to tick it off the trail centre bucket list, i think it’s ace as there’s nothing like it at any trail centres i’ve ridden before.
Again there’s loads of videos on youtube but none seem to do it justice.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Llandegla is our play ground as there's not much my end and it's only 1 hour away for a bit of fun, either that or it's Cannock Chase and I'm not keen on there. You do it a lot quicker than I do Clansey, but since getting the Canyon it's given me much more confidence, the haibike feels more like a sit up and beg bike now.
I never rode mountain bikes, just horses then in 2015 after lots of nagging from hubs to get a bike we bough a typical Halfords bike. In 2016 bought the haibikes then last year, cause I love it, bought the canyons.......best things ever :) Not bad got a 55 yr old women I don't think.
Our first ride was Drumlanrig red route, boy that was an eye opener and the next day we did Ae blue and red route.......bearing in mind this was only my second time on the bike, did not know what I was doing and just decided to go yep see what happens, this was the result....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKfoeLFL-tY&t=6s

Came off it the wettest place I could find. !!!!
Llandegla is great, I would recommend Gisburn Forest for the ebikes, there is a great bit of technical uphill on the rocky road section and there is a lot of variation at Gisburn no two sections are identical.It's great for all abilities

P.S. the video is great, hopefully the falls didn't hurt too much :ROFLMAO: it's always good to see someone laughing after a fall

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
i have got one, had it a couple of years, never use it - paranoid the first time i film myself i’m going to have a massive off !!!

you'll be fine as long as you don't get too brave for the camera :ROFLMAO: I'd never heard of Stainburn before you mentioned it. I'll do a bit of research and may make a trip up there

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
We took the ebikes to Antur Stiniog Downhill Centre on Friday and we got battered with the weather. Again the bike was brilliant with some of the roughest trails that's been thrown at it. 50MPH winds and driving rain that stings is no fun when there isn't an ounce of cover. We ended up cutting the day short but we will definitely be going back!

@Rob Hancill maybe sort a group ride at one of the Downhill parks? I know they don't really play to the ebikes strengths but it's great to test the downhill capabilities of your bike and test the skills of the rider. I feel like I improve a huge amount everytime I go to one of these places

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
Looks wild, wet and windy but more fun than I thought.
Just want to ask which routes you did as the big black ones are too much for me ?

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Looks wild, wet and windy but more fun than I thought.
Just want to ask which routes you did as the big black ones are too much for me ?
I tend to do all routes.

Gisburn has a blue and red route but the red isn't too difficult. The red route has optional black sections that run parallel to the red.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
you'll be fine as long as you don't get too brave for the camera :ROFLMAO: I'd never heard of Stainburn before you mentioned it. I'll do a bit of research and may make a trip up there

Just be aware it’s not like s proper trail centre, there are no facilities - free car park and decent pump track tho

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
What routes did you do at Antur was it the red and blue ?
That video contains the one of the reds and the black. If you look on my YouTube Channel. I have some full runs down each of the trails from a visit 2 years ago. jumpyr is the blue trail but be aware it's a blue downhill trail so I would say it's equivalent to most reds at trail centres!

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
We returned to Antur Stiniog this bank holiday with much better weather thankfully. The bike just about survived. I have a few creaks from the headset and another sliced rear tire.... I have ordered an Eddy Current to test because thats two £95 Maxxis DHR II I have gone through now :confused:
Full edit is uploading to YouTube as I post this

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Latest video is up of Coed-Y-Brenin a few weeks ago. The bushings on the rear suspension pivot failed during a bottom out. After reading another thread on here it seems to be a common fault with this bike :(

Failure happens at 16:00 on some of the easiest trail we rode all day

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Latest video is up of Coed-Y-Brenin a few weeks ago. The bushings on the rear suspension pivot failed during a bottom out. After reading another thread on here it seems to be a common fault with this bike :(

Failure happens at 16:00 on some of the easiest trail we rode all day

did you realise they had gone straight away? was the handling bad or was it making weird noises?
Are you going to replace them yourself? or is it a bike shop job ?

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
did you realise they had gone straight away? was the handling bad or was it making weird noises?
Are you going to replace them yourself? or is it a bike shop job ?
I have replaced them myself a few hours ago. I noticed it but I thought it was a loose headset or loose spokes. I never assumed it would be the pivot bushings. If you stand your bike on the back wheel and lift the handle bars you would feel the play straight away. I took some photographs of the replacing. I will post them in the forum

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles