New Rockshox Zeb Fork

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
As a lanky XL guy living in the alps, i always had a problem with my front tire lifting in steep climbs.
I used U-turn, Talas, Dual Position air.
This latest one was the best. Tokens could be use, but you had to be careful as their effect was greater than on fixed position forks.
Only difference with a fixed travel fork, is that they needed a little more pressure, and so there was a tad more friction at the seals.
edit : watching the 2021 doc online, they recommand 10PSI more for DP forks at the same travel, so looks the same

The problem was that theses forks used a special casting, with a little hole to have the air flow from the positive to the negative chamber to get both filed. So it was not possible to take a fixed travel fork, and just put a dual position air cartridge inside to transform it.

Do you guys know if it's still the case with this latest generation ? Are the lowers specific to the dual position version ?

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
1st ride on my zeb select 180’s at rogate yesterday and set them at 25% with 1token . Rode mega smooth but bottom out a few times so increases sag to 20% , nice but still bottomed so will add another token ! Felt nice and solid in the corners and choppy stuff until I hit a wet newly exposed root and was fattened ! Wrist/hand is done in hopefully nothing broke as morzine in 5weeks !

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Zeb update ; I ride fairly techy jumpy step trails and weigh 80kg , ride a 2020 kenevo comp m ( carbon wrap so quicker ) .
I tried 1,2 and 3 tokens at 25-30% sag and the one that suits me best is 3 tokens 25% sag at 60psi i think !
Super smooth over small roots and rocks and don’t get bashed about on bigger stuff , they just feel nice and calm . With the 3rd token I can keep the psi low but still have the heavy hits/ landings support .
The ZB select charger rc (44 offset ) is a good upgrade from the Marzocchi bombers at a reasonable price !
Wrist update ; sure something had broke in there , still a bit weak but managed a proper ride yesterday with no issues so Mx day at Apex this Thursday and Black mountains cycle centre Friday is a gogo ?

Last edited:

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Great forks, i can feel the difference from the lyriks that i ran before in the steering precision and they surprisingly feel more plush even though the Lyrics have the 2021 air shaft. Am 65kgs and find 2 tokens are best for me. Zebs are ultimate in 44mm offset.

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Great forks, i can feel the difference from the lyriks that i ran before in the steering precision and they surprisingly feel more plush even though the Lyrics have the 2021 air shaft. Am 65kgs and find 2 tokens are best for me. Zebs are ultimate in 44mm offset.

Can you post what configuration your running now. My zebs are making me really feel the arm pump and I'm a similar weight at 68 kgs. Running one token currently.

zez3

May 3, 2021
non-EU(CH)
From 150 to 180 on the same fork with a just a click turn? That’s a nice feature men two forks in one
I would love to have the same option for the 190mm but it seems it's not available. :(
1620764423561.png

But that makes me wonder... if I could fit the dual-position spring kit 11.4018.103.012 inside my 190mm body and add an custom spacer at the bottom of the lower air spring shaft with a longer Bottom bolt. :sneaky: I could have the 190 lowered to 160
I suppose no one has attempted this since the ZEB is quite new.

1620765596248.png

If someone has done or attempted this before on different forks please do leave me a note.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I would love to have the same option for the 190mm but it seems it's not available. :(

But that makes me wonder... if I could fit the dual-position spring kit 11.4018.103.012 inside my 190mm body and add an custom spacer at the bottom of the lower air spring shaft with a longer Bottom bolt. :sneaky: I could have the 190 lowered to 160
I suppose no one has attempted this since the ZEB is quite new.

Wouldn't that make it a 180-150 fork that was 10 mm longer axle to crown?

Unless the actual longer spring shafts fit with the dual-position kit that is.

zez3

May 3, 2021
non-EU(CH)
Hmm, note sure.
Can I keep my current lower air spring shaft(from the current 190mm) and mix it with the new upper airspring shaft from the dual-position spring kit 11.4018.103.012 ?
Perhaps I don't even need the longer bottom bolt and 10mm spacer.
That is the unknown, the gain here would be that don't need to change the body and I gain the dual-position option.

Last edited:

zez3

May 3, 2021
non-EU(CH)
Hmm, lower air spring shaft from single position is narrower than the dual-position one, so the mix and match does not work. The only way to achieve this is by building a custom dual position 10mm longer shaft or a custom spacer with the custom longer bottom screw/bolt.
As Tim mentioned before, the later option with spacer+longer screw option will not actually bring you the dual 190-160.
Too bad that they don't have an dual-position option for the 190mm :(

Last edited:

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
Hi, interested in the Rockshoc Zeb E, but concerned about handling going from 51mm to smaller offset how will it handle. Also are there any videos out, how to adjust the travel in situ.

Cheers

Rob

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
In early 2014, I went to the Welsh mtb trail Antur Stiniog on my Norco Sight with its TALAS system. Big mistaaake! Antur Stiniog is designed for DH mtbs not lightweight trail bikes. Think Bike Park Wales on steroids.

In fact I made two mistakes that day.
The previous day I had ridden another trail, standard Welsh red trail (I can no longer remember which it was). It had ended with a long and steep climb on a fire road back to the car. I had left the bike with the fork set to Climb (it was Fox CTD fork) and with the TALAS set to 110 mm travel instead of 140 mm. I was a bit hungover from the night before and I failed to check the bike before setting off down one of the blue trails. The standard advice given at reception was that if this was your first ride, knock one level off your usual trail grade. Thank God!

OMG, I was banged about good and proper from the fork set on Climb (ie Firm), not just the rough trail. But the absolute worst bit was descending down steep and rough trails on a fork that was set 30 mm lower than the back end. For most of the ride on that first trail I felt as though I was about to go OTB at every obstacle. I almost puked my guts at the end of the ride (hangover, not fear!) Totally sobered by the first ride, I checked the bike and discovered my mistakes. After a refreshing break at the Cafe, I did the blue again. Totally different ride I'm pleased to report, but I did not venture on to one of the reds. One of my mates was a very similar standard rider to me and he had borrowed a DH bike. After riding one of the reds he advised me not to try it on my Norco, as it had scared the crap out of him. He joined me on the blues.

I’m sure you didn’t laugh on the day but this made me laugh right now ?

Planning a North Wales trip so looking at Coed Y Brenin, Antur Stiniog and Llandegla. Searched the forum for info and stumbled across your story!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I’m sure you didn’t laugh on the day but this made me laugh right now ?

Planning a North Wales trip so looking at Coed Y Brenin, Antur Stiniog and Llandegla. Searched the forum for info and stumbled across your story!
Do your research on Antur Stiniog. It was a long time ago now, but I did not enjoy the day there; it was just too hard for me and my lightweight trail bike. I was also slow and holding up faster riders (who had zero sympathy for little ol' me. :cry:)

Consider Penmachno, not far from Llandegla.

Very natural feeling trail. I now remember that it was the one I did the day before Antur Stiniog.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Do your research on Antur Stiniog. It was a long time ago now, but I did not enjoy the day there; it was just too hard for me and my lightweight trail bike. I was also slow and holding up faster riders (who had zero sympathy for little ol' me. :cry:)

Consider Penmachno, not far from Llandegla.

Very natural feeling trail. I now remember that it was the one I did the day before Antur Stiniog.

Brilliant, thanks Steve, Penmachno looks great and only 20 miles from where we are staying

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Most fox will have creaky crowns over time , it’s just the way they’re made . Just have to live with it ! Never had a creaky crowned RS !

I hired a Levo in Derby .
Returned it to the shop because the Rock Shox CSU was creaking . Swapped for another bike .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles