New Rockshox Zeb Fork

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
yes, the torque caps make the contact area greater - whether they work or not is another topic all together

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
What is a floating axle and y should I care?
Like others have explained - better thought through than how I would've put it - it's smoother :)

Fox:
SMOOTHER
36 & 38 Floating Axle
FLOATING AXLE
Floating axles might look similar to other axles, but in fact they offer a distinct performance advantage due to their unique ability to match the exact width of the fork’s wheel mounting surface precisely to the front hub flange spacing, thus creating perfect chassis alignment and eliminating unwanted friction between the upper and lower fork legs. Floating axles provide much smoother suspension movement throughout the entire range of the fork’s travel, notably improving sensitivity and overall ride quality.

The all-new 36 and 38 come equipped with a new quick-release lever operated patent-pending floating axle system, combining the benefit of a floating axle with the ease of a tool-free quick-release. With this system, spacing is locked in via a floating sleeve, allowing repeated front wheel removal and reinstallation while maintaining perfect fork alignment. Floating sleeve positioning comes preset from the factory so if you are unsure of how to operate the floating axle system or simply don’t want to bother with it, you can just install the front wheel and get on with your ride.

Available optionally is the new Kabolt-X, a lightweight bolt-on floating axle exclusively for the all-new 36 and 38 that not only shaves grams but also increases torsional stiffness via its sleeveless, single-sided pinch bolt design. Chassis alignment must be reset each time the front wheel is removed and reinstalled on both the Kabolt-X and 40 floating axles, but the end result is the same – perfect alignment and perfect performance.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My fork says it is "torque cap compatible".

If I became convinced that they would be an ugrade, how do I decide what torque caps to buy? Is it the fork that influences it, the hub, or the axle?

I have a Rockshox fork, RaceFace AR30 hub, and a Novatec axle

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
You need the hub manufacturer to have made torque caps for that hub. DT Swiss, Hope and of course SRAM do, but perhaps others ?

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
My experience is that they spend a lot more time being repaired than Fox components - and I prefer to be riding.

My experience is quite literally the opposite. I am on my 9th one in 25 years and they've been bombproof, even the first one, a Judy SL. Had a few Fox too and they were great if a little fragile.

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
People here are saying that two week old Fox 38's are already creaking from crown interface. Wonder if Zeb is better in this aspect...

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
People here are saying that two week old Fox 38's are already creaking from crown interface. Wonder if Zeb is better in this aspect...
Most fox will have creaky crowns over time , it’s just the way they’re made . Just have to live with it ! Never had a creaky crowned RS !

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
My experience is quite literally the opposite. I am on my 9th one in 25 years and they've been bombproof, even the first one, a Judy SL. Had a few Fox too and they were great if a little fragile.

Fascinating. And RS shocks were even worse than theie forks for me. Super Deluxe, Monarchs were garbage. I actually won't buy a bike with a RockShox shock on it. My fork experience has been mixed. I had an original Lyrik on my V1 Nomad that was quite bombproof. Rebas, Blutos, and Pikes were the opposite. Stuck down, inconsistent performance, frequent rebuilds needed. They came spec'd on the bikes I bought, and after a couple rebuilds I gave up and swapped them out for Fox 34's and 36's. Glad that you've had a better experience.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Added the ZEB today replacing my Lyrik. We'll see how she rides on my Decoy, but it looks very nice and honestly for the price of $799 US, it's a nice deal. I did get the Select 170. Like the riding positon over the 160. My gosh, does 10mm of height make a difference? Well not much, but this fork does seem to hold it's position better off the top. Will report back, and we'll see. Excited about this update.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I't looks like the stanchions are spread wider apart than a lyric/yari? I wonder if we'll see a 38mm stanchion boxxer with more space between stanchions? That wouldn't restrict the turning radius on emtb's as they do currently because of fatter downtubes

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Just got these installed today.
6293263A-6481-4722-BCBB-095D15138410.jpeg

(Stopped for a quick photo shoot on the way back from Squamish)

Will put them through the paces tomorrow.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Was considering the dual postion fork, but just don't think I'm ready to begin adjusting the travel 6-10 times during a ride, plus it's not going to have the opportunity to add the ultimate damper if I want down the road if I'm thinking correctly. It's a great idea, but smashing down the trails then catching a quick steep uphill for a bit will have me stopping or adjusting on the fly while rolling? Fox did this with the Tallus (sp?) fork years ago but it never seemed to fully catch on. It's the very reason most don't reach down to adjust the firmness setting on their rear or front shock. It's a pain, and if your moving faster, it's a distraction. Thoughts?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Was considering the dual postion fork, but just don't think I'm ready to begin adjusting the travel 6-10 times during a ride, plus it's not going to have the opportunity to add the ultimate damper if I want down the road if I'm thinking correctly. It's a great idea, but smashing down the trails then catching a quick steep uphill for a bit will have me stopping or adjusting on the fly while rolling? Fox did this with the Tallus (sp?) fork years ago but it never seemed to fully catch on. It's the very reason most don't reach down to adjust the firmness setting on their rear or front shock. It's a pain, and if your moving faster, it's a distraction. Thoughts?
TALAS = Travel Adjustable Linear Air System.

I had the Fox TALAS system on a 2013 Norco Sight. It was handy for a short while getting up and over a short very steep climb, but I soon learned to succeed without it. I never used it again after that. What I regretted the most was that I could not tune the air spring, because the TALAS system prevented it. To use it I had to pause the ride briefly to lean down and twist the setting using the lever provided. It should have been a bar mounted facility, like lockouts used to be. The technology was there for it.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
After ride update:

I put 11KM in bright and early this morning.
I rode Expresso / Lower Expresso / Lower Digger X2.

I’m 205lbs with gear
I have sag set to around 27%
1 Token
No Torque Caps (I still need to get in touch with Industry 9).

I pushed it a little on the climb and dropped right into the first decent.
I was definitely sloppy with line choice and placing the front tire.
The fork felt really supportive and didn’t dive in the corners.
The first noticeable difference was in the steep rock roll down the back face of a boulder.

8BF3C3D5-4BD4-4E8F-9237-9A6DDE9CC485.jpeg
At the bottom of this, there is a decent right hand turn. I got super squirly but pushed out of it without washing out and getting right stuffed into the woods.
The rest of Expresso and the lower continuation has a lot of berms, roots and rocks trying to keep you honest and some jumps.
ZEB is a killer fork.
I plowed my way down the hill, launching on top of rocks and root...mostly because I’m shitastic at looking at where I should go (place my tire), instead I seem to be looking at all the baby heads and wooden middle fingers littered on the ground.

The fork is way more plush and supple than the Lyrik Select (Duh!)
I’m really happy with putting down the extra cash, instead of just upgrading the air spring and damper to Ultimate status.

Bottom Line:
I’m heavy, not smooth and plow like I’m back home on the prairies of Alberta. (In another life)
This fork saved my ass numerous times today and with some tweaking to the air volume and rebound - I’m looking forward to it saving my ass many many more times.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Happy to reply with my thoughts.
-Kinger

BF152A0F-FF23-4FE8-8A72-03FEAC794439.jpeg

[Before it got all dirty today]

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
....and it’s double pain when you forget to extend them after the climb !
In early 2014, I went to the Welsh mtb trail Antur Stiniog on my Norco Sight with its TALAS system. Big mistaaake! Antur Stiniog is designed for DH mtbs not lightweight trail bikes. Think Bike Park Wales on steroids.

In fact I made two mistakes that day.
The previous day I had ridden another trail, standard Welsh red trail (I can no longer remember which it was - later edit it was Penmachno). It had ended with a long and steep climb on a fire road back to the car. I had left the bike with the fork set to Climb (it was Fox CTD fork) and with the TALAS set to 110 mm travel instead of 140 mm. I was a bit hungover from the night before and I failed to check the bike before setting off down one of the blue trails. The standard advice given at reception was that if this was your first ride, knock one level off your usual trail grade. Thank God!

OMG, I was banged about good and proper from the fork set on Climb (ie Firm), not just the rough trail. But the absolute worst bit was descending down steep and rough trails on a fork that was set 30 mm lower than the back end. For most of the ride on that first trail I felt as though I was about to go OTB at every obstacle. I almost puked my guts at the end of the ride (hangover, not fear!) Totally sobered by the first ride, I checked the bike and discovered my mistakes. After a refreshing break at the Cafe, I did the blue again. Totally different ride I'm pleased to report, but I did not venture on to one of the reds. One of my mates was a very similar standard rider to me and he had borrowed a DH bike. After riding one of the reds he advised me not to try it on my Norco, as it had scared the crap out of him. He joined me on the blues.

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
After ride update:

I put 11KM in bright and early this morning.
I rode Expresso / Lower Expresso / Lower Digger X2.

I’m 205lbs with gear
I have sag set to around 27%
1 Token
No Torque Caps (I still need to get in touch with Industry 9).

I pushed it a little on the climb and dropped right into the first decent.
I was definitely sloppy with line choice and placing the front tire.
The fork felt really supportive and didn’t dive in the corners.
The first noticeable difference was in the steep rock roll down the back face of a boulder.

View attachment 35623
At the bottom of this, there is a decent right hand turn. I got super squirly but pushed out of it without washing out and getting right stuffed into the woods.
The rest of Expresso and the lower continuation has a lot of berms, roots and rocks trying to keep you honest and some jumps.
ZEB is a killer fork.
I plowed my way down the hill, launching on top of rocks and root...mostly because I’m shitastic at looking at where I should go (place my tire), instead I seem to be looking at all the baby heads and wooden middle fingers littered on the ground.

The fork is way more plush and supple than the Lyrik Select (Duh!)
I’m really happy with putting down the extra cash, instead of just upgrading the air spring and damper to Ultimate status.

Bottom Line:
I’m heavy, not smooth and plow like I’m back home on the prairies of Alberta. (In another life)
This fork saved my ass numerous times today and with some tweaking to the air volume and rebound - I’m looking forward to it saving my ass many many more times.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Happy to reply with my thoughts.
-Kinger

View attachment 35625
[Before it got all dirty today]
Classic! Safe to say we can cross off "fork dive" on the possible concern list. Bike is looking tight doood

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Took my first ride on the Zeb Select and totally concur with Kinger. This fork is a game changer, and my, are they going to convert many off the Lyrik into this sweet ride especially at this price point. Not to get me wrong, the Lyrik for enduro bikes all day, but for only .5lb weight penalty, I could see this on my sb130 vs the Fox 36 160mm., this fork is just that sweet! This thing rocks, enough said.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’m in for buying the zeb select 180mm 27.5 for the 2020 kenevo comp but am unsure which offset 38 or 44 ? Bike has a 42mm atm !

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Does anyone understand the differences between the Charger R and charger RC dampers? I don't need the low speed adjustments of the cheaper select but it's only £50 more than the fixed travel base model on Bikeinn so I don't want to miss out on a better damper in case there are other differences.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Does anyone understand the differences between the Charger R and charger RC dampers? I don't need the low speed adjustments of the cheaper select but it's only £50 more than the fixed travel base model on Bikeinn so I don't want to miss out on a better damper in case there are other differences.
The "c" is for compression adjustment. Quite useful i think

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
I put over 150km in on the ZEB Ultimate last week.
Jump, flow, rowdy, steep, you name it.
So impressed.

It’s the first time I’ve tried the charger 2.1 damper.
I highly recommend going for the ultimate - or getting the upgrade down the road.

So supple and plush.
Huge difference from the charger RC or previous damper iteration.
Also I can’t believe how little air pressure I can run without getting bottom, while still utilizing full, and I mean FULL travel.

I’ll be putting torque caps on tomorrow, not sure I’ll notice anything different though.
I’ll be in touch.

-Kinger

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I’ll take a premium damper over farting around with the travel any day.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles