mt520 brakes with h03C pads

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My 2018 Jam2 C came with 2 piston brakes and m6000 levers. I've recently installed 4 piston mt520 calipers using the m6000 levers and oil lines. These calipers were only $50. each on ebay without the levers or tubing. But the calipers came with d02S metallic pads. I've seen online where the h03C resin pads with cooling fins (Dee mt620) have been successfully used. At first it was reported that you had to file down some of cooling fins but later that was found to not be true. These h03C pads appear to fit and line up correctly but they don't exactly look "normal" in the caliper. I have had some issues with squealing too and have cleaned them a couple of times now and they seem to be OK. They are a big improvement over the stock brakes but I'll probably go to the standard resin pads, D03S, when these wear out to be safe.

I'm posting several pics showing the h03C installed, next to the the metallic d02S (metallic) that came with the caliper and a view into the caliper with one pad removed. Everything seems to be OK but they don't really look like they fit normally like they do in the mt620 brakes. I don't see Shimano listing the H03C pads for the mt520. But they work and I've really found no issues except some squealing I hope is contamination. I can't help but think that the fit might be causing this. Anyone else try this combination? Thanks.

IMG_5290.JPG

IMG_5291.JPG

IMG_5292.JPG

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
My 2018 Jam2 C came with 2 piston brakes and m6000 levers. I've recently installed 4 piston mt520 calipers using the m6000 levers and oil lines. These calipers were only $50. each on ebay without the levers or tubing. But the calipers came with d02S metallic pads. I've seen online where the h03C resin pads with cooling fins (Dee mt620) have been successfully used. At first it was reported that you had to file down some of cooling fins but later that was found to not be true. These h03C pads appear to fit and line up correctly but they don't exactly look "normal" in the caliper. I have had some issues with squealing too and have cleaned them a couple of times now and they seem to be OK. They are a big improvement over the stock brakes but I'll probably go to the standard resin pads, D03S, when these wear out to be safe.

I'm posting several pics showing the h03C installed, next to the the metallic d02S (metallic) that came with the caliper and a view into the caliper with one pad removed. Everything seems to be OK but they don't really look like they fit normally like they do in the mt620 brakes. I don't see Shimano listing the H03C pads for the mt520. But they work and I've really found no issues except some squealing I hope is contamination. I can't help but think that the fit might be causing this. Anyone else try this combination? Thanks.

View attachment 31566

View attachment 31567

View attachment 31568

Hey sdcoffeeroaster, thanks for sharing and photos. No haven't tried this combo. Currently running standard set-up on my 2020 Focus Jam2 6.8 Nine which is the MT-BR520 4 piston brakes with Shimano D03S pads (I think) . Need to replace pas very soon and have seen Gorilla Pads with decent reviews. They have a good range and great pricing, so will be tryinbg them in sintered and Multi-compound for a comparison.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hey sdcoffeeroaster, thanks for sharing and photos. No haven't tried this combo. Currently running standard set-up on my 2020 Focus Jam2 6.8 Nine which is the MT-BR520 4 piston brakes with Shimano D03S pads (I think) . Need to replace pas very soon and have seen Gorilla Pads with decent reviews. They have a good range and great pricing, so will be tryinbg them in sintered and Multi-compound for a comparison.

I think I finally got the H03's to stop squealing. I'm not sure what the issue was but probably alignment difficulties, especially at the back where the brake line is a bit short and tight. Since I did a frame swap, I know I'll have to drop the motor at least to change out the rear brake line since it's zip tied to the frame securely and can't just be slid out.

I've cleaned pads and aligned them multiple times now and back was still an issue up until recently. The last time I did a visual centering of the bare caliper which seemed to improve the results and stop the squealing . I did order and receive the gorilla multi-compound pads (took a long time from GB to the US) but I'll wait until I wear these H03's out or if the squealing comes back. My calipers came with just the metallic pad which I didn't want to use which is why I tried the H03 resin pads but they are a bit pricey compared to the D03's and I'm not sure how much better the H03's are with the cooling fins added. Overall though, the 4 piston option was a big improvement for me.

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
I have h03c inside mt-br520 and everything is ok. My bike is Trek Rail 7 XL and my weight is 128 kg. No problem with brakes or anything on bike.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I got the front ones to stop but I still occasionally get a slight one time squeal out of the back so good enough. I think the hydraulic hose is a bit short making it difficult to align perfectly. Great brakes and well worth the price too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles