M1-504 Battery Strip down Video

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not sure why??? Is he a moron?
I love seeing inside things

Looking at most of his vids, he plays with all sorts of batteries .. I guess depending where you are you might think someone would be a moron if they bashed their €7000 bike on rocks .. so probably the last thing on his mind :)

It's interesting ! If only to know how to take the darn thing apart ! :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Looking at most of his vids, he plays with all sorts of batteries .. I guess depending where you are you might think someone would be a moron if they bashed their €7000 bike on rocks .. so probably the last thing on his mind :)

It's interesting ! If only to know how to take the darn thing apart ! :)

Lol I’m guessing he’s never ridden a bike.

Also I don’t like Euro prices, it makes me think for a split second you guys pay way less for bikes and I hate you all a little more.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Lol I’m guessing he’s never ridden a bike.

Also I don’t like Euro prices, it makes me think for a split second you guys pay way less for bikes and I hate you all a little more.

To his credit, I'm not sure I have :eek:o_O:ROFLMAO: properly ..

You should have to pay more, they have to ship them individually half way around the world one at a time on Kayak's and then cart them thousands of miles all the way down to you southerners by Camel ! This costs money you know ! Just so you can crash them into rocks ! :)

They used to use really really fat chicks instead of Camels, by the time they got to Alice Springs, they were just fat chicks but @HORSPWR kept intercepting them all and it ended after the police discovered the "sex for bikes" scheme .. he had hundreds stashed ... some say thousands ..

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahahaha you are properly fried, like the Bms in that video. I love it!

We should get things cheaper here as we do real world R&D.
If it survives here it can survive anywhere.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Fantastic vid thanks Zimmer! Always a lot to discover from a tear down.

I'm guessing the tabs are welded. Maybe the X wing will keep rolling long after they stop manufacturing the battery packs. Maybe not.

Some quick research, it seems they're not welded but seated in what is likely to be a purposely designed single use assembly. Reportedly extremely difficult not to crack anything during disassembly & apparently battery repair services can't or won't repack them - at least at present.

Last edited:

Joeyrotundo

Apr 13, 2019
Canada , Vancouver Island
Nice Vid!

Looks like the water got in around the rubber switch/indicator light panel cover.

I have one battery that the cover can come off pretty easy. No wires or anything to it it just sits over those lights you see in the vid.
A silicone RTV sealant is needed I guess?

Ride
Smile
Recharge
Repeat

Joe

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Nice Vid!

Looks like the water got in around the rubber switch/indicator light panel cover.

I have one battery that the cover can come off pretty easy. No wires or anything to it it just sits over those lights you see in the vid.
A silicone RTV sealant is needed I guess?

Ride
Smile
Recharge
Repeat

Joe
Yes maybe something especially for electronics like Kontakt 70 Super although you'd probably need to remove the battery then carefully & paint very lightly - not spray - in between the gaps.

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Yeah I'm up thrusting to 72V when they're not making the batteries any more :eek: ⚡
All i gathered was try and prevent water ingress. Im just talking shit. Not sure what his accent is but he said low woltage a few times. Sounds slightly better than low voltage but im no sparky ?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Im just talking shit
That makes the three of us haha

Still I am concerned that the battery cell grid has been designed either in a low cost disposable module set up or - I hate to say it - designed so it can't be repacked.

With the User Manual, I was looking for charging advice & realised it must've changed from previous editions I've seen online. This one seems to contain very sound advice. Of particular interest is:

The Battery Management System (BMS) is designed to protect a fully discharged battery from damage for a period of time. However, in order to maintain the best possible battery performance and lifespan, Specialized recommends regularly recharging the battery to at least ¾ full (7 LED's).

Very interesting. That possibly suggests that the balance cycle commences at 75% SOC.

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
That makes the three of us haha

Still I am concerned that the battery cell grid has been designed either in a low cost disposable module set up or - I hate to say it - designed so it can't be repacked.

With the User Manual, I was looking for charging advice & realised it must've changed from previous editions I've seen online. This one seems to contain very sound advice. Of particular interest is:

Very interesting. That possibly suggests that the balance cycle commences at 75% SOC.
I think you can expand the life of the battery by storing it below 75% and above 20% and occasionally giving it a full charge. I try and keep mine somewhere in there then top it up before i go on a longer ride. Half the time im not using a full battery. I dont eorry about it too much but if i come home empty i put some charge in it. Im not positive on that but i think it helps

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles