Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
Levo SL on diet with main battery installed, without pedals 31lbs 12oz

67A60420-5475-4B8C-B094-721B5690E48A.jpeg

1628D5AC-2D2C-4DC3-BC2A-095B7DE5B33F.jpeg

celbii

Dec 20, 2020
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I think you can reuse the steel chain ring bolts they came with the bike I changed mine out to alloy because I’m a weight weenie.

Here’s the link to Wolf tooth

I think that’s the same ring as worldwide cyclist
Yeah I saw that but they are sold out on wolf of the 32t. If I bit the bullet and went to 34t can I use the stock chain? Sorry for the newbie questions, I haven't done much modifications to my bikes other than swapping out grips/bars/stems/risers. Since I live in Oklahoma we really don't have any big big climbs here so if im going to mod for top end I think I might as well just go for the 34t since it fits and I wont be sitting on the smallest gear maxxed out everytime I ride.

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
Yeah I saw that but they are sold out on wolf of the 32t. If I bit the bullet and went to 34t can I use the stock chain? Sorry for the newbie questions, I haven't done much modifications to my bikes other than swapping out grips/bars/stems/risers. Since I live in Oklahoma we really don't have any big big climbs here so if im going to mod for top end I think I might as well just go for the 34t since it fits and I wont be sitting on the smallest gear maxxed out everytime I ride.

Not sure about the chain but you could ask your friend or a bike shop for a scrap piece of chain and buy a new link I’ve run two links in my chain before

I changed to 11 speed and DI2 so I never use the stock chain

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I think you can reuse the steel chain ring bolts they came with the bike I changed mine out to alloy because I’m a weight weenie.

Here’s the link to Wolf tooth

I think that’s the same ring as worldwide cyclist
Any idea what weight savings you saw by swapping?

Modcitizen

Sep 12, 2020
PNW, Usa
What spring were you using with the Jade X (given you said you weigh 200 lbs and are riding some pretty aggressive and steep trails)? I looked into the Sprindex but doesn't that setup reduce the stroke of the shock? Have you considered a Cascade link? From what I can see from the DVO website, they seem to be pushing their Custom tunes (shim stacks for LSC/HSC) to setup your bike for your specific riding conditions. I am using a Vorsprung custom tune on my Kenevo's stock RockShox Super Deluxe coil but I have not compared it to anything else. My wife has an Ohlins TTX22M for her SL but I would need bigger spring for me to ride it with that shock on it.
I agree with your point about tire pressure being important but I was still slipping far too much on wet roots with the stock tires!
The current spring on my Jade X is 500lb --- it's what was on the shock as a take-off from a Ripmo. As I mentioned, it feels good on the Mid setting ... but maybe too soft on the fully open, so I think I'm missing out on it's full potential. This is my first coil shock so my assessments are amateurish still. One thing I do know is that I tend to just adapt to whatever I'm riding --- but this time I intend to actually get an optimal setup instead of 'good enough'. Part of that setup might include a Cascade Link. I've heard great things, but my plan is to make incremental changes and see what the effect is out on the trail. So I'll probably get a new spring next, selecting it with the possibility of get a Cascade Link down the road. I think Sprindex might offer me some flexibility for both stock and Cascade links. (Damn, I'm getting pretty deep in the weeds now..) Curious what your #spring is and your weight is ... although I know it's not apples to apples as you're using a different shock with a custom tune.
And yeah, once I wear out these tires I'll probably switch to some Minions, since I already have a new DHF just sitting in the garage with nothing to do.

Modcitizen

Sep 12, 2020
PNW, Usa
How do you like the mezzer? It’s been brilliant for me. Try 170mm at some point. I don’t think it adversely affected the handling at all , especially for the riding you experience in the pnw.

I don’t ride wet pretty much ever, but for the dry, dusty trails I did find that the stock tires held there own until the side knobs started to tear on the butcher. Also - stans sealant always leaked sidewall.
Yeah, I love the Mezzer! I'm still learning about it and tweaking it. I just need a bit more experimenting and bracketing on a ride and I think I'll get it tuned just right for me. BTW, were you the person who compiled that Mezzer setup spreadsheet? It's pretty handy!

And yeah, maybe in the summer, I'll pull it apart and make it 170mm to see how that feels. Can't hurt, right?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Yeah, I love the Mezzer! I'm still learning about it and tweaking it. I just need a bit more experimenting and bracketing on a ride and I think I'll get it tuned just right for me. BTW, were you the person who compiled that Mezzer setup spreadsheet? It's pretty handy!

And yeah, maybe in the summer, I'll pull it apart and make it 170mm to see how that feels. Can't hurt, right?
Haha yeah that’s me. Though others added and expanded on it. Seemed more convenient than trying to read through 1000s of comments...

you should definitely try a stiffer spring rate for your weight. I am at 580-600 lbs with the cc link(higher leverage at sag does need more rate to match) and ~180lbs. I think with the stock link I would be closer to 550 but haven’t put it on to try. I found that when undersprung this bike tends to wallow and not be as playful. Even at higher spring rates the bump absorption is great with my aero

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
How did you drop 9 lbs?
The Nextie Wheelset set is close to 1200 g the wheel set they came with it was over 1900g

Also the tires that came with the bike are nearly 1000 g each

Yeah those tires in the picture are barely 55 mm wide they are definitely sketchy doing a wet winter ride.

I mostly riding the bike at 32 lbs. 12 oz. to about 33 1/2 pounds depending on where I’m riding .
Bontrager XR2 2.2 or 2.35 these are fun fast tires.

Or if I’m riding in the mountains in the Frederick watershed in Maryland over wet rocks I prefer the XR4 2.4 tires.

If you guys are interested I could make a list of how I saved the weight?

celbii

Dec 20, 2020
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I've gone ahead and ordered the 34T after some internal debate this morning. Ultimately I think for my riding style I will be better off going to 34T instead of 32T, and if I find it too much I can always downsize. I will try to install it myself, does not look too difficult at all, the only thing I'm iffy on is checking the chain size once its in, but I figure i've done turbo swaps on cars before I can figure out how to size a bike chain with a little bit of research, I hope ?

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
I've gone ahead and ordered the 34T after some internal debate this morning. Ultimately I think for my riding style I will be better off going to 34T instead of 32T, and if I find it too much I can always downsize. I will try to install it myself, does not look too difficult at all, the only thing I'm iffy on is checking the chain size once its in, but I figure i've done turbo swaps on cars before I can figure out how to size a bike chain with a little bit of research, I hope ?
You can probably do it with the plastic guide see you tube:

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
The Nextie Wheelset set is close to 1200 g the wheel set they came with it was over 1900g

Also the tires that came with the bike are nearly 1000 g each

Yeah those tires in the picture are barely 55 mm wide they are definitely sketchy doing a wet winter ride.

I mostly riding the bike at 32 lbs. 12 oz. to about 33 1/2 pounds depending on where I’m riding .
Bontrager XR2 2.2 or 2.35 these are fun fast tires.

Or if I’m riding in the mountains in the Frederick watershed in Maryland over wet rocks I prefer the XR4 2.4 tires.

If you guys are interested I could make a list of how I saved the weight?
@BigFoot Yes I would definitely like to see your list. Thanks.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL

I installed a 34 and although I rarely use the 50T sprocket it seems to have no trouble shifting in or out. As I do, you probably have plenty of tools but one I was missing (and bought) was a torque wrench for the chainring bolts (10 NM).

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Oh, and as for removing the crank, Praxis notes *do not* remove the outer ring. It is only for the bolt to push on to remove the crank. The outer ring is sometimes a bit loose and one of mine did not seem to want to take 20 NM, Praxis wrote that 15 is ok.

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
Oh, and as for removing the crank, Praxis notes *do not* remove the outer ring. It is only for the bolt to push on to remove the crank. The outer ring is sometimes a bit loose and one of mine did not seem to want to take 20 NM, Praxis wrote that 15 is ok.

I installed the chain rings without removing the crank

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
The current spring on my Jade X is 500lb --- it's what was on the shock as a take-off from a Ripmo. As I mentioned, it feels good on the Mid setting ... but maybe too soft on the fully open, so I think I'm missing out on it's full potential. This is my first coil shock so my assessments are amateurish still. One thing I do know is that I tend to just adapt to whatever I'm riding --- but this time I intend to actually get an optimal setup instead of 'good enough'. Part of that setup might include a Cascade Link. I've heard great things, but my plan is to make incremental changes and see what the effect is out on the trail. So I'll probably get a new spring next, selecting it with the possibility of get a Cascade Link down the road. I think Sprindex might offer me some flexibility for both stock and Cascade links. (Damn, I'm getting pretty deep in the weeds now..) Curious what your #spring is and your weight is ... although I know it's not apples to apples as you're using a different shock with a custom tune.
And yeah, once I wear out these tires I'll probably switch to some Minions, since I already have a new DHF just sitting in the garage with nothing to do.

Thanks for your specs. I did not run a coil shock when I rode my wife's SL, just the stock Fox shock with the Cascade link. She has a 500 lb spring with her Ohlins TTX22M shock but has yet to try it as the weather has not been cooperative. When I finally get a chance to try her bike, the Cascade recommends a 600lb coil for my weight (190 lbs with gear). The custom tuned Vorsprung shock is on my Kenevo which is running a 500 lb coil but I think all the magic on that bike happens with the Boxxer fork and its Avalanche Suspension damper cartridge. You just have to deal with the surly owner of the company who comes off as a tad condescending if you choose to go that route.

sonix

Oct 18, 2020
Germany
All a happy and healthy 2021 !!
Since there was time to do something today ;) , I thought about assembling my Piko.
I didn't want to add an extra bracket, so I was looking for a way to mount the Piko directly on the K-Edge bracket for the bolt.

Tata ..

first test prints to see if the dimensions fit..

L1.jpg

.. and mounted.

L2.jpg

L3.jpg

L4.jpg

L5.jpg

cheers

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
All a happy and healthy 2021 !!
Since there was time to do something today ;) , I thought about assembling my Piko.
I didn't want to add an extra bracket, so I was looking for a way to mount the Piko directly on the K-Edge bracket for the bolt.

Tata ..

first test prints to see if the dimensions fit..

View attachment 48842

.. and mounted.

View attachment 48843

View attachment 48844

View attachment 48845

View attachment 48846

cheers

Nice bracket
can you power that light with your levo SL?

SL-ED

Jun 14, 2020
Bay Area
I guess it must be a lens distortion as the wheels look the same size in this image! How do you find the SL performs with a smaller rear wheel?

Yeah its hard to tell in that pic. I just recently replaced the rear tire from a 2.4 to a 2.6 because I was getting a little too many pedal strike even tho I had the flip switch in the high setting, Now with the 2.6 the bike feels great!! No more pedal strike, turns great and tons of traction! I'm loving it.

20210101_095245.jpg

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Yeah its hard to tell in that pic. I just recently replaced the rear tire from a 2.4 to a 2.6 because I was getting a little too many pedal strike even tho I had the flip switch in the high setting, Now with the 2.6 the bike feels great!! No more pedal strike, turns great and tons of traction! I'm loving it.

View attachment 48934

I was going to ask about pedal strikes. Are those stock cranks? I bought a Cascade link but I have yet to try it with a coil shock. How are you liking the Jade X? Which coil are you using and how much do you weigh? Nice to see a proper fork on that bike!

SL-ED

Jun 14, 2020
Bay Area
I was going to ask about pedal strikes. Are those stock cranks? I bought a Cascade link but I have yet to try it with a coil shock. How are you liking the Jade X? Which coil are you using and how much do you weigh? Nice to see a proper fork on that bike!

Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm also running 165mm cranks. As for Jade X I really like. Its the only shock I know that the lock out actually locks. I originally wanted to go with the Fox DHX2 for its H/L adjustments and to match the Fox up front but heard people say that it hits the Range extender. I went with the Jade X since I had experience with it on my previous bike and I heard it clears the range extender. I'm about 180lbs I went with a prog. 550-650 spring I run a little less sag.

Screenshot_20200315-092528_Photos.jpg

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
@BigFoot Yes I would definitely like to see your list. Thanks.

Weight savings of carbon 2020 SL Expert
Traverse wheelset carbon 1950 g
Nextie DT Swiss hubs CXRay wheelset 1250 g

Butcher Eliminator tires 970 g each
Schwalbe 2.25 tires 575 g each
These Schwalbe Thunderburt and Racing Ralph are not enough tires to run in the winter wet, I prefer 650 to 850 g 2.35-2.6 tires for wet winter riding .

XG 1275 10-50 12 speed cassette 450 g
XG 1199 10-42 11 speed cassette 260 g
See picture below I only seem to be missing the 50 cog, depending on where you live you may not need it either.

SRAM G2 brakes to-
XTR M-9000 brakes about 100g savings Per brake

200 mm rotors to 180 mm ice-tec rotors remove adapter from brakes 80 to 110g savings about ?

SRAM GX derailleur and shifter and cable to DI2 XTR about 50-100 g savings

Chain stay protector to lizard skin 40 g saving.

X fusion Mantic 625 g
Bike yolk Divine Seatpost 400 g +45 g carbon shim

Bridge saddle 265g
WTB Koda 210 g

Praxis Alloy Cranks 475 g
Praxis carbon Cranks 340 g

Chain guide removed 27 g
Chain doesn’t fall off even on advanced trails

Fox 34 E bike 1910g
Rock shox Pike revelation 2.0 charger 2021 160 mm Airshaft 1792g

Swat tool removed 132 g
I already carry a multi tool that has more functions

Stock grips 110 g
Shimano pro foam grips 70 g

Specialized stem 150 g
Renthal stem 120 g

Alloy riser bar 362 g
Renthal carbon bar 190 g

IMG_5692.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles