Levo SL Levo SL Owners Thread

Modcitizen

Sep 12, 2020
PNW, Usa
Ride
Levo SL
Does anyone run an oval chainring on the bike? Just curious as I’ve been running one for several years on my Ripley.
I don't think an oval chainring is optimal for the Levo SL. Unlike on a regular bike, on the SL the crank is not aligned with a fixed point on the chainring. For example if you backpedal on the SL, the cranks move but the chainring/chain does not. So your pedaling would not be in the preferred alignment with the oval chainring, which removes any advantages it would otherwise have over a round ring.

BAMBAMODA

Das Hammer !
May 17, 2020
Stuttgart, Germany
Ride
Turbo levo SL, Jo
I don't think an oval chainring is optimal for the Levo SL. Unlike on a regular bike, on the SL the crank is not aligned with a fixed point on the chainring. For example if you backpedal on the SL, the cranks move but the chainring/chain does not. So your pedaling would not be in the preferred alignment with the oval chainring, which removes any advantages it would otherwise have over a round ring.
Probably wouldn’t be good for the motor to constantly change tempo.

Reactions: Chicane and aklemm

Hopyyz

Nov 27, 2020
San Jose / Bend
Read all 100+ pages and some of the other threads before deciding to sell my Ripmo and switch to a emtb. Picked up a L CC this weekend, I'm a little over 5'10" with 32" or so inseam, and very happy with the fit. Liked the idea of the SL still feeling like a playful bike and being able to ride without power (I've put over 6000 miles on a Giant Quick E+ for daily commuting in the before times and that's very painful when you run out of juice).

Looked at the new Santa Cruz bikes and the FF Levo was tempting but didn't want to bother with potential issues as my friend is on his fifth Levo motor after 9000 miles. I like to do long rides (30+ miles) out in Henry Coe and it's a long ride out usually with elevation for most of the spots I visit so favored weight and reliability or a miscalculation in range.

Got a nice deal on extenders at 25% off this weekend so picked up two thinking I'll be able to get some 40-50 mile rides in and not be too beat.

Did a quick checkout ride yesterday, 10 miles, 1000' gain at 99% on ECO at 35/50 which was a pretty good workout, I'm 215 lbs w/o pack and used 22% or 74wh. Plan to ride the same loop in different modes/mix to get a good idea of how this all works, still not exactly clear after seeing that same settings in different modes give different results so I'll characterize that myself.

Pretty happy with the stock bike but the loop I did is pretty smooth so I'll hit some more nasty stuff and get more miles on her before deciding what to upgrade. Was going to rip off the Guide RE brakes to switch to XT without riding them but they didn't feel too bad (after a bed in session) so I'll give them a chance.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting their experiences, it really helped me understand the SL and I got exactly what I expected the first time I hit the dirt and an actual climb.

Ant

sl.jpg

BAMBAMODA

Das Hammer !
May 17, 2020
Stuttgart, Germany
Ride
Turbo levo SL, Jo
Read all 100+ pages and some of the other threads before deciding to sell my Ripmo and switch to a emtb. Picked up a L CC this weekend, I'm a little over 5'10" with 32" or so inseam, and very happy with the fit. Liked the idea of the SL still feeling like a playful bike and being able to ride without power (I've put over 6000 miles on a Giant Quick E+ for daily commuting in the before times and that's very painful when you run out of juice).

Looked at the new Santa Cruz bikes and the FF Levo was tempting but didn't want to bother with potential issues as my friend is on his fifth Levo motor after 9000 miles. I like to do long rides (30+ miles) out in Henry Coe and it's a long ride out usually with elevation for most of the spots I visit so favored weight and reliability or a miscalculation in range.

Got a nice deal on extenders at 25% off this weekend so picked up two thinking I'll be able to get some 40-50 mile rides in and not be too beat.

Did a quick checkout ride yesterday, 10 miles, 1000' gain at 99% on ECO at 35/50 which was a pretty good workout, I'm 215 lbs w/o pack and used 22% or 74wh. Plan to ride the same loop in different modes/mix to get a good idea of how this all works, still not exactly clear after seeing that same settings in different modes give different results so I'll characterize that myself.

Pretty happy with the stock bike but the loop I did is pretty smooth so I'll hit some more nasty stuff and get more miles on her before deciding what to upgrade. Was going to rip off the Guide RE brakes to switch to XT without riding them but they didn't feel too bad (after a bed in session) so I'll give them a chance.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting their experiences, it really helped me understand the SL and I got exactly what I expected the first time I hit the dirt and an actual climb.

Ant

View attachment 46047
Dude. This is all fucking awesome. Good to see you loving it. I’m sure you already know but try just keeping it in trail mode at 30/70. That’s what I use and use the same exact WH for 10 miles.

Housenotes

Aug 20, 2020
Missouri
Ride
Turbo Levo SL Carbon

Ant

View attachment 46047
Good to hear you’re Loving your SL. Question: Where did you find the extenders for 25% off. I need one!

Hopyyz

Nov 27, 2020
San Jose / Bend
I also need one! My guess is it was a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal somewhere...
Yeah it was a black Friday deal from Al's sporting goods in UT so I grabbed that and my LBS matched the discount when I bought the SL so I picked up another one. The one that shipped from Al's wasn't in the original packaging so I need to capacity test it against my new one. I went back to Al's site and don't see them listed anymore at all.

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
Ride
Trance e+ pro1 2020
Just picked up a 2021 Levo SL Expert. Was on the fence between this and the full-fat version but seeing as I already have a range extender for my Creo and I need the exercise it seemed like a better choice for me. So far it feels great, they upgraded a lot of the components to what they should have been in ‘20, I’m glad I waited. Ignore the dorky pedals, found out last night my old MTB flats have a bad bearing.

View attachment 42331
Nice choice! have you weighted it already?

Housenotes

Aug 20, 2020
Missouri
Ride
Turbo Levo SL Carbon
Anybody live near Logan, UT. ? I have a store there holding a Range Extender for me but can't ship it because of Specialized Policy. I will pay for your time to pick it up and ship it to me. I will of course prepay for the item & it's shipping costs.

Thanks

Reactions: Pan

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Ride
Turbo Levo Comp.
Anybody live near Logan, UT. ? I have a store there holding a Range Extender for me but can't ship it because of Specialized Policy. I will pay for your time to pick it up and ship it to me. I will of course prepay for the item & it's shipping costs.
You might want to clarify whether it's "Specialized policy" or the law.

Most of the world - I can see no reason why the US would be any different - has extremely rigorous laws preventing Li-Ion batteries from being routinely shipped without strict controls and (often show-stopping) additional safety requirements, due to Li-Ion batteries on their own being considered such a fire risk.

Reactions: Housenotes

BAMBAMODA

Das Hammer !
May 17, 2020
Stuttgart, Germany
Ride
Turbo levo SL, Jo
Are you running a Cascade link with the Jade X coil?

I see quite a few are using the link with coil shocks but I don’t see anyone saying whether it’s required or just a good idea.
thanks.
It’s not a need. I have one with an X2. It just gives another 6mm of travel I think, with a x55 shock it’s around 160 rear. I still haven’t measured so I could be wrong. I’ll have to do that one of these days......

TBH with the CC link you have to add more psi and I’m pretty 110% sure I have more pedal bob with it. Bike now bounces more than my 170mm travel bike. Which is bad because the motor provides a more uniform pressure running flats.

as for a coil over you probably would be fine. But there’s a higher failure rate when the suspension used the shock for structural stability as the Levos use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shinn

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
www.youtube.com
Ride
2020 Levo SL
It’s not a need. I have one with an X2. It just gives another 6mm of travel I think, with a x55 shock it’s around 160 rear. I still haven’t measured so I could be wrong. I’ll have to do that one of these days......

TBH with the CC link you have to add more psi and I’m pretty 110% sure I have more pedal bob with it. Bike now bounces more than my 170mm travel bike. Which is bad because the motor provides a more uniform pressure running flats.

as for a coil over you probably would be fine. But there’s a higher failure rate when the suspension used the shock for structural stability as the Levos use.
I do recall reading about a coil failing more often, thought it was a different manufacturer? I'll do more research before buying the coil. I'll go ahead and order the link though, it just sounds like a good idea after doing more reading last night.

thanks a bunch.