Levo SL Gen 1 LEVO SL chain

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Does anyone know the typical life span of the chain? I've done 900 miles and thinking the time to change might be near.

I’m keeping an eye on mine. I changed to an XX1 a while back, and so far have done 709 miles on mine. I’m still no where near 0.25% wear on a Park Tools CC-2 chain checker.
Takes 2 seconds to check it - so I’m doing it every time I lube!

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
I’m keeping an eye on mine. I changed to an XX1 a while back, and so far have done 709 miles on mine. I’m still no where near 0.25% wear on a Park Tools CC-2 chain checker.
Takes 2 seconds to check it - so I’m doing it every time I lube!
I have the XX1 as well and have checked the wear and it's still good.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have the XX1 as well and have checked the wear and it's still good.

Will be interesting to see what we get then - if they’re both similar. I don’t think I’m even half way to 0.25% yet judging by my checker. I was advised that if I change the chain at 0.25% wear, I should get 3 or 4 chains per cassette.
If I get >1250miles per chain, then I’ll be ecstatic!

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
Will be interesting to see what we get then - if they’re both similar. I don’t think I’m even half way to 0.25% yet judging by my checker. I was advised that if I change the chain at 0.25% wear, I should get 3 or 4 chains per cassette.
If I get >1250miles per chain, then I’ll be ecstatic!
3-4 chains would be great - especially given the replacement cost of the XX1 cassette :)

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
I think we'll find our chains last alot longer than normal ebikes. The lower power makes us change gears smarter and less mashing them and ofc the lower torque on the chain.

I'm 600miles and nowhere near needing a new one.

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
Specialized recommend every 500km to replace it, I've done 6500km, 6 chains, 3 casettes, 2 chain rings, 1 set of jockey wheels.
You've done all that on an SL already?? Every 300 miles sounds considerably early to me. Where did you get the intel?

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
No I don't own an SL, I'm talking about my levo, I know it's an SL thread, specialized Australia gave the the Intel, I asked them because I was wondering why I was eating through chains.
Figured it was a Levo :) I was told by my Spesh tech that they recommend replacing every 500 miles on them.

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
To be honest Alex, I just replace it when shifting becomes an issue, I've never reached 500km then replaced it, however I usually replace it not long after the shifting issues occur, fuggin expensive bitch it is to maintain ?
I bet! Hope you don't have an S-WORKS - as amazing as they may be!

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
Have you got an sworks? Have you got a picture, I love them!
Have you got an sworks? Have you got a picture, I love them!
Rockhopper, HT Levo, FSR Levo, $11,000,nearly an S-WORKS sitting there!
A little silhouette but it's in its natural habitat.
IMG_4156.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles