Kelly's new EMTB's

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Excellent video with some great animations and graphics in there. Shows the frame and construction off nicely and you can see there aren't any obvious weak spots.

Not quite sure how they plan to re-cycle it.. How do you separate resin,steel, carbon ? Even the humble pringles can is supposedly incredibly difficult to re-cycle due to it's mix of materials.

I was going to say I can't buy one as there aren't any dealers around - because the search doesn't work properly, but once you get in the map .. there are a few :

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 09.37.17.png

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
There's a lot to love on this bike but I'll never buy a yoke driven shock like the specialized again... Shocks shouldn't do anything structural, just dampening.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There's a lot to love on this bike but I'll never buy a yoke driven shock like the specialized again... Shocks shouldn't do anything structural, just dampening.
Good call, well noticed. :) I hadn't noticed, so I went back to look at the pics of the bike. The use of the word "yoke" implied to me that extensions from the shock passed either side of the seat tube. Not in this case. The shock appears to be mounted offset to the non-drive side, with a single extension central to the shock passing the seat tube and picking up the suspension linkage in one place on the non-drive side. Although the shock is offset, it remains parallel to the bike centreline. But the forces on the rear linkage are offset. I can only hope that the bearings have been beefed up to cope with that.

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
Good call, well noticed. :) I hadn't noticed, so I went back to look at the pics of the bike. The use of the word "yoke" implied to me that extensions from the shock passed either side of the seat tube. Not in this case. The shock appears to be mounted offset to the non-drive side, with a single extension central to the shock passing the seat tube and picking up the suspension linkage in one place on the non-drive side. Although the shock is offset, it remains parallel to the bike centreline. But the forces on the rear linkage are offset. I can only hope that the bearings have been beefed up to cope with that.

It's just silly putting the shock in a position where it's being asked to be structural. Should be damping only... There are sooooo many bikes that use this design but it's totally flawed imo.

Interesting Kelly's DH Bike has a direct linkage driven shock via a shock tunnel – but obviously droppers and motors make that hard on an enduro emtb. Pity, the design is nice otherwise.

1606816314058.jpeg
11bf0fe9-c21c-4f59-a69f-218f398c7886-jpeg.13380

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Considering the new material , twice as strong as carbon, and manufacturing process I don't think stress will be an issue on this bike.
Just note that REIN4CED, the company that has invented "Feather" - the new composite - makes no claim for it being twice as strong as carbon: only that it will have significantly higher impact resistance (the lack of which has always been my problem with carbon fibre as a frame material).
For the most part you're still just getting carbon fibre, with steel being added strategically to increase impact resistance:
Feather’s carbon composite materials are strengthened by fine steel fibers, hereby retaining the existing favorable material properties without increase in weight. Small amounts of specifically developed steel fibers applied on specific locations in the material, drastically increase the impact resistance and thus the safety and reliability for cyclists.
Being logical about it, it's hard to see how you could get "twice as strong" as carbon fibre, by adding something which is both heavier, and less strong, than carbon fibre.

But increased impact resistance? Yeah, I could buy that.

Last edited:

MetroRanger

Feb 17, 2021
Austria
Claim is based on impact resistance tests, where puncturing the material crash test samples and delamination of material occurred in average after more then doubling the impact force compared to resin based carbon material crash test samples. Differance in materialis not only microsteel fibres, but also termoplastic bonding. Only ingredient which is same is carbon fibres, but overal behaviour of material is very different, resulting in more then double of impact resistance compared to standard resin based composite

material-comparison.jpg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This is one bike I really want to try, I love low standover bikes and also funky engineering.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Does anyone know WHEN it's going into production??
They were asking for deposits for one of these here in Brisbane about 4 months ago, have emailed the distributor, Ride Sports, about them but no reply.
Would consider selling all my worldly possessions plus a couple of children for a chance to throw a leg over (though that wouldn't be very high would it) one of these beauties.

MetroRanger

Feb 17, 2021
Austria
Does anyone know WHEN it's going into production??
They were asking for deposits for one of these here in Brisbane about 4 months ago, have emailed the distributor, Ride Sports, about them but no reply.
Would consider selling all my worldly possessions plus a couple of children for a chance to throw a leg over (though that wouldn't be very high would it) one of these beauties.

In first half of July because of Shimano parts delay

Probably deserves a piggyback shock. Love the super low standover though

Its the shock with piggyback. It is mounted sideways so from this angle it can't be seen.

Last edited:

Kaoceo

Apr 20, 2021
Jaslovské Bohunice
[QUOTE = "MetroRanger, príspevok: 266471, člen: 15747"]
Keď už hovoríme o diablovi, vyzerá to ako testovacia mulica
20210204-090937.jpg

[/ QUOTE]
Prosím, odkiaľ ste dostali fotografiu?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I think its going to be more interesting to see how it shapes up over rock gardens and gnarly roots, what happens to it when you fall off and how it survives the rough and tumble lesser frames are put through. A bit more bouncing about than smooth well packed earth tracks.

Just a thought :unsure:
I mean you watch these PR vids and its more about the kashima coated forks,shock and post than the actual frame itself.

Kaoceo

Apr 20, 2021
Jaslovské Bohunice
I think its going to be more interesting to see how it shapes up over rock gardens and gnarly roots, what happens to it when you fall off and how it survives the rough and tumble lesser frames are put through. A bit more bouncing about than smooth well packed earth tracks.

Just a thought :unsure:
I mean you watch these PR vids and its more about the kashima coated forks,shock and post than the actual frame itself.
I agree, I just found a new video 😉

mtbant

Oct 30, 2021
uk
Does anyone have any more videos or photos of this bike. I really like the look of it, however its taken a long time to appear!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles