Is your motor getting nosier over time ?

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
I know the 2019 Yamaha motor has always been noisy the higher up the power range you go and the steeper the hill. But I am not sure if mine is getting more noisy. It may be that my mate has just brought a Cube 160 and the Bosch motor is a LOT quieter than mine. So may be it is that and it is all in my mind. I have found a place in the UK that will service the motor and replace the bearings where needed. Mine is a 2019 Trance SX Pro0 and done 2000mls.

Has anyone had any issues? is there a fix to make it quieter or should I not care and just keep riding it ! Interested to hear what others motors are doing. Dont get my wrong, mine is still strong, just seems to be getting more and more noisy.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
My Trance got noticeably noisier as the miles went on. On a Bosch now which is whisper quiet by comparison.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I used to road bike at high cadence but mountain biking i rarely hit 100RPM.
Just try using a gear with less teeths and you will get used to it. I prefer a lower
cadence because it is easier to time the pedals to avoid rocks and a fast cadence
does not work well when ratcheting. I just shift like a car. The sound, the vibration
inform us when we need to shift gear. I never play with assistance mode i shift like
on a regular bike.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I agree with DrStupid my 2020 Stance is probably producing a bit less decibels. I also read that about 2017 Yamaha users. So it might be a personal thing that the frequency is one that you are irritated by but try avoiding spinning by being in a different gear and it should corect your situation. At 18 YO we were simply shifting our motorcycles by sound i guess i do it by habit. My Giant has no display so i do everything by feel. I have read about screws getting loose, i do not remember what brand but you could check that.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Mine has always whined louder than my ex wife.
Doesn't seem to be getting any louder though.
It's actually handy when riding in a group because they can hear where I am. Glass half full eh?

My current wife has the same bike and you can barely hear it at all.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Mine has always whined louder than my ex wife.
Doesn't seem to be getting any louder though.
It's actually handy when riding in a group because they can hear where I am. Glass half full eh?

My current wife has the same bike and you can barely hear it at all.
I kind of agree, a bit of noise just makes people notice we are coming.
In winter i like when the humidy makes my brakes sing.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
My motor was replaced 8 months ago, and the new one was noisier than the original. It also has some "vibration" that can be felt through pedals... but it feels like it has some more power. Or maybe everything is in my head? XD

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I have tinnitus. I haven’t noticed it for months until I noticed it one day for whatever reason... then it’s all I hear and it gets louder and louder... until something else grabs my attention. Then it’s gone.

We also have a noisy clock at home that drove my daughter crazy when she stayed over one night so she removed the battery to be able to sleep. Puzzled, I asked her which clock? “The one in your bedroom!” Now that I’ve been made aware, it’s all I hear... tick... tock! I never noticed it before.

When I’m reminded to put my noise cancelling headphones on (pre-Covid international travel), it’s only then that I hear the airplane engine cabin drone noise.

My Giant 2019 Trance is reasonably quiet until I started editing a riding video recently - and I was surprised to hear the motor noise from the video footage. So I went out for a ride today and I listened out for it. The harder I strained to hear it, the louder it got.?

My old age and selective hearing has its pros and cons, haha! ?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Yamaha tend to use a grease that dries out or disperses over time. After approx 1,500 miles they could normally do with a cleanout and refresh. This quietens them down quite a bit. Obviously if bearings are beginning to fail, this will also increase noise.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Yamaha tend to use a grease that dries out or disperses over time. After approx 1,500 miles they could normally do with a cleanout and refresh. This quietens them down quite a bit. Obviously if bearings are beginning to fail, this will also increase noise.
Are you having any aggro with Bosch Gen 4s yet?

BadgerHun7er

Jan 1, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
I have done 500miles on my Haibike Allmtn 7 fitted with a Yamaha PWX-2 motor. It was amazingly quiet to start with. You could drop the bike from 2 foot and it would be almost silent. Now there is a lot of vibration from around the motor area or possible the wiring loom rattling in the downtube splash cover. There is a little play in the pedals but not much.

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
Just an FYI incase other have or get a similar issue

I found the problem, both internal crank bearings were on their way out (non drive side was very bad). Also showing signs of rust as a tiny amount of water must have made its way past the bearing at some point. The main gear was also dry so needs a little grease. This is a 2019 motor and being in the UK has had many many wet rides.

Ordered 2 new crank bearings and a new lock nut and will reassemble when they turn up tomorrow and fingers crossed will be much quieter.

The bearings cost about £24 and the time was about 1hr, half of that was removing the motor from the bike. So could be done once a year to keep fresh and quite and at its optimum performance, depending on how often you ride and in what conditions.

I suspect most peoples motors are still under warranty and I expect this can be by you local bike shop.

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
That's good to know.
Could you please post some pictures of the operation on your motor and give the ref numbers of the bearing ? That would be very useful I think...
Thanks

fs0ciet1

May 17, 2020
milano
I have done 500miles on my Haibike Allmtn 7 fitted with a Yamaha PWX-2 motor. It was amazingly quiet to start with. You could drop the bike from 2 foot and it would be almost silent. Now there is a lot of vibration from around the motor area or possible the wiring loom rattling in the downtube splash cover. There is a little play in the pedals but not much.
My fathom still in the range from when I have buy but sometime I hear a rattling in the motor area at low velocity , not persistent but sometimes I hear that

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
Only just seen this so do not have any photos. But here is the link to the site I brought the bearings from ( both drive side and non-drive side crank bearings ).

Also the second link is the one I watched to show me how to do what I did. He replaced all bearings, all the others were fine in mine, I just cleaned put in new crank bearing (both sides) and a clean and a little grease.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I'm just back from a great little ride but I've noticed my motor is alot noisier than before all the lads noticed mine could be heard over the other 3 bikes do we get 2 year warranty on motor or is it 1 ? It sounds whiney and a bit bearing ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
No rattling but very whiney ? Speed unlocked I just put a magnet on crank arm and moved the sensor to outside of chainstay ? but tbh I've put it back doesn't help on most the trails ?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
No rattling but very whiney ? Speed unlocked I just put a magnet on crank arm and moved the sensor to outside of chainstay ? but tbh I've put it back doesn't help on most the trails ?
Maybe you can try using a gear to slow your pedaling speed like on flat let say you are used to be on your 17 teeth use the 15 so instead of 95 rotation per minute you will be close to 80.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles