Is this normal on a shock?

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Its my first full suspension bike, so dont shoot me for asking this question.
Im seeing some oil building over the O-ring in the shaft. It's a lot more oil than what you normally see on a front suspension, so I'm starting to worry about it.
Is this a normal thing? It's only my 3th ride on it, and it has it from the bezinning.
v
20220702_195912.jpg

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Yes, normal. Seals aren't all that sealy. It's why manufacturers specify service intervals & mean it.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Seals aren't all that sealy
wheely? :ROFLMAO:. As rusty says; forks don't do this because they face up the other way, and they have a foam ring that aborbs oil. Although, I've had my bike upside down for long periods at different times with no oil on the fork stanchions showing. Maybe forks are more sealy? :ROFLMAO:. Joking; I'm guessing it's the combo of being worked while upside down (compared to a fork), and upside down all the time. And not that sealy :ROFLMAO:. Wheely.

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
That's more than I've seen from our (Rockshox Super Deluxe) shocks. I'd clean all the oil and muck off both the shock and the ring and watch for leakage. Might have just been the bike supplier being a bit too liberal with greasing around the outside bottom of the seal.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
That's more than I've seen from our (Rockshox Super Deluxe) shocks. I'd clean all the oil and muck off both the shock and the ring and watch for leakage. Might have just been the bike supplier being a bit too liberal with greasing around the outside bottom of the seal.
I have a rockshox super deluxe. It's like this for a while after a 50hr service (usually 750km for me). My partners shock is the same, although not a super deluxe. My ancient trek fuel ex8 (2012) is the same with a fox shock. Many use the lack of oil as the sign that it's time for the 50hr service.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
That’s pretty normal for your first rides. If it starts making any sloppy sex like noises and really dripping then seals are faulty. But that’s pretty typical from every time ive seen that specific shock after rebuild. Wipe it up and monitor it.
Wipe it up and monitor it.
Is that the sloppy sex part or the shock?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have a rockshox super deluxe. It's like this for a while after a 50hr service (usually 750km for me). My partners shock is the same, although not a super deluxe. My ancient trek fuel ex8 (2012) is the same with a fox shock. Many use the lack of oil as the sign that it's time for the 50hr service.

I did a full service on both mine and my wife's Super Deluxe shocks when I installed Megneg upgrades and neither of them afterwards leaked this way.

getmecoat.gif

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
What about the 50 hour service? Is it really in such a short periode of time I should service it?
I don't go to hard on the shock (no big jumps or big drops)and part of my trips are mostly on road as I have to ride everywhere with the bike.
If I need to do it after 50 hours that would mean I have to do it after every 9-10 rides?

Last weekend alone I rode 212 km with 9-10 hours

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
What about the 50 hour service? Is it really in such a short periode of time I should service it?
I don't go to hard on the shock (no big jumps or big drops)and part of my trips are mostly on road as I have to ride everywhere with the bike.
If I need to do it after 50 hours that would mean I have to do it after every 9-10 rides?

A complete service will include the damper. The damper runs in a clean environment, so I don't think it's necessary to service the damper every 50 hours. If it starts getting wonky, you'll hear cavitation as it quickly moves through its travel. That's a sign that you're due for a professional service.

Servicing the air can is another story. There's only one seal keeping the oil on the inside and the dirt on the outside, and there's not very much oil to start with. Frequent service is a good idea, and it's very simple. Clean up the shock, remove the air can, clean everything up again, add oil according to specs, reassemble. You'll note that I didn't say to change the seals. You can go quite a while with out changing seals, as long as they're working well.

However...
Considering the picture in your original post, I'd say that your seal needs replacement. On the first ride after the shock is rebuilt, it's not unusual to see oil on the outside. But that's NOT leakage. It's lube that was in between the sealing and wiping surfaces, and it just works its way out. Since you clean your shock after EVERY ride, and the oil in your picture is after the third ride, then it's leakage. You can take the bike back to whoever you bought it, and leave it there for however long it takes the shop donkeys to get to it, or you can fix it yourself. The seal kit will cost you a few bucks, but doing the work will take less time than it takes to drive to the bike shop.

It was noted elsewhere in this thread that you don't see oil weeping out around the seals of your fork. It has nothing to do with the orientation of the shock/fork. For shocks, there is no "right side up" and "upside down." You can mount them in any orientation. With the fork, the oil is splashing around on the inside as you bounce around on the trail. If your stanchions are not dragging oil up to the seal, then you're wearing out your bushings. You'll see evidence of this right away from the scoring on your stanchions. The reason that oil more easily weeps past the seal on the shock is because it's pressurized to a couple hundred psi. The insides of your fork tubes are pretty close to atmospheric pressure.

WNH

Dec 21, 2020
CA USA
Its my first full suspension bike, so dont shoot me for asking this question.
Im seeing some oil building over the O-ring in the shaft. It's a lot more oil than what you normally see on a front suspension, so I'm starting to worry about it.
Is this a normal thing? It's only my 3th ride on it, and it has it from the bezinning.
v View attachment 91477
100% normal.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
I have a rockshox super deluxe 210x50 with 15,158 km of trail, without maintenance, I just clean it with silicone oil on the outside and check the pressure every two outings.
So far it works like the first day.
It is cheaper not to do maintenance and every 200 hours you save money, when it fails you put a new rockshox super deluxe

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles