I was aware of ebike hate / jealousy but I thought opinions were changing

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In cycling in general, across all disciplines, there has always been a split between those who just love riding bikes, and the fitness warriors who view anything other than enduring physical punishment, earning your turns, obsessing over stats in a way that would make an olympian look lazy, and the bicycle just happens to be their weapon of choice to achieve that.

I haven't met a genuine cyclist who hate EBikes, but I have met plenty of mostly middle age roadies who view them as a personal affront to their quest to top strava.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
In cycling in general, across all disciplines, there has always been a split between those who just love riding bikes, and the fitness warriors who view anything other than enduring physical punishment, earning your turns, obsessing over stats in a way that would make an olympian look lazy, and the bicycle just happens to be their weapon of choice to achieve that.

I haven't met a genuine cyclist who hate EBikes, but I have met plenty of mostly middle age roadies who view them as a personal affront to their quest to top strava.
One previous mtb buddy told me not to wear my self out switching gears. Actually I was just thinking how hard it was switching the gears. Need to make bikes that ride themselves and we can control them from our smartphones while wearing VR glasses.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
It's actually a lot of interesting aspects to this discussion, as the "hate" and "opposition" to E-bikes are pretty predictable and based on normal human psychology and behavior, but still complex as hell, due to the complexity of human nature itself. These are just my two cents and ramblings on the topic, read at your own peril. I'm impressed if you can read to the end and avoid being bored to sleep... ;)

Hopefully this will sort it self out in the end through getting the snowball rolling and getting the majority of the population used to the E-bike concept and accept it / embrace it as well as understand it and get rid of a lot of misconceptions. The best all of us emtb'ers can do to help in the mean time is to be friendly and respectful when out on the trails and make sure we are contributing in a positive way to increased acceptance and healthy co-existence. Common courtesy goes a long way.

Personally I think from my experience over the last couple years riding with a lot of ebikers, it has already begun to change and improve, at least here in Scandinavia.

In my opinion, the four major things that combine together to fuel this are:

1. Shattered self esteem for any of the Strava type riders, where the most joy for them comes from being the best and owning the KOM, validating that they are able to do something that others aren't. They connect their self worth to this fact, a very typical "Alpha Male" behavior really.

This is of course shattered and painful for them when someone, that in their view quite obviously are not as fit as them and have no business riding faster than them, pass them, regardless if it is with or without a motor. In their head it's just not right as those people passing have not "payed the correct price" for being able to do that in terms of hours and hours spent building fitness like they themselves have. This behavior will unfortunately always be there for some people, just as some drivers in traffic just HAS TO get ahead and save 5 seconds by forcing their way in front of everyone else, seeing themselves as entitled to behaving that way. It's just a personality trait with some unfortunately (the me first egoistical type) and top performance sports and activities like cycling, has a tendency to draw a lot of these kinds of people. It's very often where they can prove themselves worthy, so to speak.

For them IT IS A COMPETITION, regardless of what we emtb'ers say or think, hence in their mind we are cheating, kind of the same as in some computer games where everyone is upset about the "pay to win" concept where someone with resources / money are able to buy their way to quick(er) results through better gear and equipment, trumping skills built up over a long time practicing and playing by someone not spending money on it. This also leads into the next point, which maybe is the most obvious.

2. Jealousy. With prices the way they currently are for e-bikes and kit, a lot of people that see EMTBers going past having loads of fun and wish they could participate, plain out can't. And this is very often down to the entry cost. Unfortunately this is sometimes how the world is in all areas. However one of human nature's ways of alleviating that "pain" and feeling of inadequacy, brought on by not being able to afford something they want, is to "hate" and be derogatory about it. Hence we get the "f***ing E-bikers" and "They are only cheating anyways" etc. comments and attitudes. Expressing this makes some of them feel less bad about themselves not being able to do it. I should know, I used to think a bit like that, though not really expressing it or shouting at people, when I had just spent a lot on an analog bike and all my mates went and bought E-bikes, and I felt I could not afford doing the same after having already forked out a lot. Thankfully this should get a lot better for a lot of people as prices of bikes and tech hopefully come down to more reasonable levels and the access to quality used kit for decent prices increases. This is, in my opinion, an integral part of what is needed to really increase the adoption and acceptance of E-bikes.

3. The 3rd component would be the people "lost in history", the ones that can not accept change and progress on any other terms than their own and whom wish things would stay as they were. These are the typical older generation of walker's you would meet that frown upon these modern monstrosities with motors wreaking havoc on their beloved recreational areas and being an annoyance to them, coming around corners at full bore, looking (to them) as more or less out of control (As THEY can not fathom it's possible to be in control at that speed) , scaring them and making it impossible for them to enjoy nature as they used to in the past. I can fully understand the frustration of this group, but unfortunately the world never stands still, and you either keep up or you are left behind. They often think emtb'ers are inconsiderate and rash and take up all the space leaving none for them and that e-bikers (and normal bikers for that matter) are having fun in the wrong way more or less. Unfortunately they also often fail to see that they themselves are just as inconsiderate when they in reality refuse to acknowledge that other people have the same right to enjoy nature in their own way as well and that we all need to learn to get along, share and be considerate.

4. Last but not least we have all the misconceptions around e-bikes and what they really are. Some of this is misinformation and misunderstandings, some of it created by people scared of what they don't know, so they assume and even make up theories.As mentioned by many, there are plenty of people out there that think e-bikes are more or less electric Dirtbikes and then logically thinks that emtb's damage trails and nature in a similar fashion. (or at least beliefs in that direction) I think the only thing we can do, while we wait for E-bikes to become more common and the correct knowledge to be more widespread, is to talk to people we meet, show them our bikes and explain how they work. Even if it's not apparent at the time that someone is convinced to change their beliefs, I'm sure there are seeds planted that makes them see the reality over time. Change don't happen over night and convictions most often needs to be converted by the convinced themselves. This normally includes a lot of thinking and mulling things over on their part, not necessarily by other people arguing the reality's merits.
All in all I think we are in a much better place today than what we were just a couple of years ago in terms of E-bike hate, conflict, issues and enlightenment and it will only get better as E-bikes become more affordable and widespread. With more and more e-bike information and content being readily available through both social and regular media and all of the great ambassadors like yourselves out there, it's sure to turn out for the better!

Unfortunately there will always be some that don't agree or somehow feel wronged, that's just life and human nature, like in everything else. Hopefully they will be further and further apart. In those cases, just don't sink to their level, take the high road and either politely ignore them or display common courtesy would be my advice while we await an even brighter electrified biking future!

Y :)

Last edited:

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
It's actually a lot of interesting aspects to this discussion, as the "hate" and "opposition" to E-bikes are pretty predictable and based on normal human psychology and behavior, but still complex as hell, due to the complexity of human nature itself. These are just my two cents and ramblings on the topic, read at your own peril. I'm impressed if you can read to the end and avoid being bored to sleep... ;)

Hopefully this will sort it self out in the end through getting the snowball rolling and getting the majority of the population used to the E-bike concept and accept it / embrace it as well as understand it and get rid of a lot of misconceptions. The best all of us emtb'ers can do to help in the mean time is to be friendly and respectful when out on the trails and make sure we are contributing in a positive way to increased acceptance and healthy co-existence. Common courtesy goes a long way.

Personally I think from my experience over the last couple years riding with a lot of ebikers, it has already begun to change and improve, at least here in Scandinavia.

In my opinion, the four major things that combine together to fuel this are:

1. Shattered self esteem for any of the Strava type riders, where the most joy for them comes from being the best and owning the KOM, validating that they are able to do something that others aren't. They connect their self worth to this fact, a very typical "Alpha Male" behavior really.

This is of course shattered and painful for them when someone, that in their view quite obviously are not as fit as them and have no business riding faster than them, pass them, regardless if it is with or without a motor. In their head it's just not right as those people passing have not "payed the correct price" for being able to do that in terms of hours and hours spent building fitness like they themselves have. This behavior will unfortunately always be there for some people, just as some drivers in traffic just HAS TO get ahead and save 5 seconds by forcing their way in front of everyone else, seeing themselves as entitled to behaving that way. It's just a personality trait with some unfortunately (the me first egoistical type) and top performance sports and activities like cycling, has a tendency to draw a lot of these kinds of people. It's very often where they can prove themselves worthy, so to speak.

For them IT IS A COMPETITION, regardless of what we emtb'ers say or think, hence in their mind we are cheating, kind of the same as in some computer games where everyone is upset about the "pay to win" concept where someone with resources / money are able to buy their way to quick(er) results through better gear and equipment, trumping skills built up over a long time practicing and playing by someone not spending money on it. This also leads into the next point, which maybe is the most obvious.

2. Jealousy. With prices the way they currently are for e-bikes and kit, a lot of people that see EMTBers going past having loads of fun and wish they could participate, plain out can't. And this is very often down to the entry cost. Unfortunately this is sometimes how the world is in all areas. However one of human nature's ways of alleviating that "pain" and feeling of inadequacy, brought on by not being able to afford something they want, is to "hate" and be derogatory about it. Hence we get the "f***ing E-bikers" and "They are only cheating anyways" etc. comments and attitudes. Expressing this makes some of them feel less bad about themselves not being able to do it. I should know, I used to think a bit like that, though not really expressing it or shouting at people, when I had just spent a lot on an analog bike and all my mates went and bought E-bikes, and I felt I could not afford doing the same after having already forked out a lot. Thankfully this should get a lot better for a lot of people as prices of bikes and tech hopefully come down to more reasonable levels and the access to quality used kit for decent prices increases. This is, in my opinion, an integral part of what is needed to really increase the adoption and acceptance of E-bikes.

3. The 3rd component would be the people "lost in history", the ones that can not accept change and progress on any other terms than their own and whom wish things would stay as they were. These are the typical older generation of walker's you would meet that frown upon these modern monstrosities with motors wreaking havoc on their beloved recreational areas and being an annoyance to them, coming around corners at full bore, looking (to them) as more or less out of control (As THEY can not fathom it's possible to be in control at that speed) , scaring them and making it impossible for them to enjoy nature as they used to in the past. I can fully understand the frustration of this group, but unfortunately the world never stands still, and you either keep up or you are left behind. They often think emtb'ers are inconsiderate and rash and take up all the space leaving none for them and that e-bikers (and normal bikers for that matter) are having fun in the wrong way more or less. Unfortunately they also often fail to see that they themselves are just as inconsiderate when they in reality refuse to acknowledge that other people have the same right to enjoy nature in their own way as well and that we all need to learn to get along, share and be considerate.

4. Last but not least we have all the misconceptions around e-bikes and what they really are. Some of this is misinformation and misunderstandings, some of it created by people scared of what they don't know, so they assume and even make up theories.As mentioned by many, there are plenty of people out there that think e-bikes are more or less electric Dirtbikes and then logically thinks that emtb's damage trails and nature in a similar fashion. (or at least beliefs in that direction) I think the only thing we can do, while we wait for E-bikes to become more common and the correct knowledge to be more widespread, is to talk to people we meet, show them our bikes and explain how they work. Even if it's not apparent at the time that someone is convinced to change their believes, I'm sure there are seeds planted that makes them see the reality over time. Change don't happen over night and convictions most often needs to be converted by the convinced themselves. This normally includes a lot of thinking and mulling things over on their part, not necessarily by other people arguing the reality's merits.
All in all I think we are in a much better place today than what we were just a couple of years ago in terms of E-bike hate, conflict, issues and enlightenment and it will only get better as E-bikes become more affordable and widespread. With more and more e-bike information and content being readily available through both social and regular media and all of the great ambassadors like yourselves out there, it's sure to turn out for the better!

Unfortunately there will always be some that don't agree or somehow feel wronged, that's just life and human nature, like in everything else. Hopefully they will be further and further apart. In those cases, just don't sink to their level, take the high road and either ignore them or display common courtesy would be my advice while we await an even brighter electrified biking future!

Y :)
Started MTB back in 91’, as soon as I saw EMTB bikes, I knew: Ebike allows for bigger tires without having to ride something like a specialized Epic bike with 2.0 tires for climbing, no more clipless pedals because not worried about that much efficent climbing and therefore don’t have to worry about being clipped in and can now wear more comfortable shoes, can now wear more protective gear like removable full face, shin guards elbow pads, knee pads & chest protection without worry about weight and over sweating. Count up all these benefits. You can bet @Rob Hancill would agree.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
These are just my two cents and ramblings on the topic, read at your own peril. I'm impressed if you can read to the end and avoid being bored to sleep... ;)

OK, I read it all and did not fall asleep ...... what did I win? :unsure:

Love reading some good phsyco-babble - we have some real phsycos on here ... notwithstanding @Zimmerframe ;)

Oh - point 5. Some people are just tossers and should be ignored. :whistle:

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I regularly read Reddit.com/r/mtb for bits of news, cool progressions videos from people and a bit of discussion. Recently I hadn't seen anything emtb related so I decided to make I post.

I was expecting a bit of pushback from the purists and people who haven't tried ebikes but I tried to highlight the fact that I have brought lots of random friends out to ride with me on a second ebike we have and basically opened their eyes to mtb'ing whether on an ebike or normal bike.

However the post has been completely shot down and there is seemingly overwhelming doom and gloom in some people's mind when they hear ebike or emtb.

I also follow r/ebikes so I know that in America ebikes can be a very different beast to the UK. There seems to be a lot more homemade / electric motorbikes with throttles over there.

Anyway here is a Link to the thread if you would like to have a look or provide a little support.
It’s bazaar. Screw all those analogers that have a problem with e bikes. They’re acting like the Amish in 1900 drawing a line in the sand of progression.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I generally talk to people along the way and so far have not had a negative reaction. As a friend of mine who is a roadie said the only thing that annoys him is when a e-biker passes you going up a big climb with a sarcastic grin on their face or stupid comment. Like walkers, horse riders etc we all just need to say Hi and be nice. The hate will die down over the next few years as more and more MTB'ers convert to the hated e-bikes. Personally at 60 years old I have put my time in on a MTB and am happy to tell that to anybody this who thinks I have cheated my way to the top of the climbs. Also raised over £5k for charity along the way. Enjoy folks and ignore those who think they are better than you. They are just upset that they have to share their beloved trails with some new folks exactly like walkers were 20-30 years ago, and still often are in England at least they hate you whether ebike or manual :)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I guess a similar reaction occurred when Sat Navs came on the scene and seasoned hikers with excellent map reading skills might have felt a little uncomfortable about it and the same when digital cameras appeared. I certainly remember the grief some people received when compact discs came in by the audiophiles who believed their priceless record players produced a superior sound.
How did the expert fire starters who rubbed sticks together feel when someone invented the match?
And I won’t even go into the trouble that Galileo caused to the establishment when he pointed his telescope to the skies.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What about that upstart Alexander Fleming then? He only went and invented Penicillin! I wonder how many old farts refused to use penicillin saying, "I think I'll stick to poultices and prayer"!

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I just don’t give a flying Duck about what other people think about anything much on this subject. Ride and enjoy I’m too old to worry about other people’s views! I like strava, because it logs my ride... end of... it’s like a diary ! Horse riders hate cars, motorbikes hate cars ... guess what they all bloody drive cars !!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles