I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

FlatSix

May 11, 2019
Göppingen
The only serious issue I have is that my new Garmin 1030 cannot be adjusted to circumferences bigger than 3000mm - so apeed, distance etc are not displayed correctly.
This is really annoying:-/

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
The only serious issue I have is that my new Garmin 1030 cannot be adjusted to circumferences bigger than 3000mm - so apeed, distance etc are not displayed correctly.

Hi @FlatSix, regarding the Garmin 1030, I wonder why they limit it to only 3000mm? Maybe we could email them and request them to increase it. For arguments sake, there are 36" wheel bikes for tall people, and if someone was using a 36" rim along with 5" fat tires that would be a circumference well over 3000mm. Maybe they can increase it to 3500mm which would be perfect for the LSS :)

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Will this kit fit on a 2019 Levo HT?

Hi @Sandy, we had a member try it on a Levo HT and it did not clear the frame (see this post). However, since then I've created a much lower profile version of the LSS that should clear the frame much better. Currently I only have the LSS DT version (for the higher end Levos with DT swiss wheels):

LSS DT Version 2.0 - Planetary Gear Set by JD_3D on Shapeways

Can you tell me what spec Levo HT you have? If need be I can create a LSS 2.0 version for the normal (non-DT) hubs.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Hi @Sandy, we had a member try it on a Levo HT and it did not clear the frame (see this post). However, since then I've created a much lower profile version of the LSS that should clear the frame much better. Currently I only have the LSS DT version (for the higher end Levos with DT swiss wheels):

LSS DT Version 2.0 - Planetary Gear Set by JD_3D on Shapeways

Can you tell me what spec Levo HT you have? If need be I can create a LSS 2.0 version for the normal (non-DT) hubs.

I've got the absolute base model levo ht. The £2250 (typically) advertised model. Unmodified.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I've got the absolute base model levo ht. The £2250 (typically) advertised model. Unmodified.

Hi @Sandy, I finished designing the standard LSS 2.0 which is about 1.2mm thinner overall (for better frame clearance). And that is available here:

LSS Version 2.0 Planetary Gear set by JD_3D on Shapeways

However, I looked at the Levo HT and it looks like it uses different brake rotors, which means the retaining ring won't work with it. So, I'm afraid even this new design won't work with the Levo HT. If you like to tinker or are feeling adventurous you could try it along with the universal brake mount I made here, but I can't guarantee it will work:

Universal Brake Rotor Mount for LSS by JD_3D on Shapeways

67malibu

Jun 2, 2019
USA
Are there any updates on the version for 2018 Turbo Levos (base model)? Is the link below the most current version for the 2017-18 bikes? I searched the threads but didn't see a recommended resource to buy the necessary magnet for the kit.
Thank you for all the hard work, the product looks great.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
- Thanks
Beta - LSS Gear Set for Levo 2017/2018 by JD_3D on Shapeways

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Are there any updates on the version for 2018 Turbo Levos (base model)? Is the link below the most current version for the 2017-18 bikes? I searched the threads but didn't see a recommended resource to buy the necessary magnet for the kit.
Thank you for all the hard work, the product looks great.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
- Thanks
Beta - LSS Gear Set for Levo 2017/2018 by JD_3D on Shapeways

Hi @67malibu. The link you included is the latest version of the LSS for the 2017/2018 Levos. I've still marked it as 'Beta' because I've only heard back from 1 person that it fits and works well. I usually like to get confirmation from a few people before I take off the 'beta' tag. I don't anticipate making any changes to it. As for the magnet and additional info, I created a simple website with more info here:

Guide to the LSS

Let me know if you have any other questions.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

You could try using the AppBuilder 5 CIQ data field (+ its clones) to create modified speed & distance data fields which are completely customized. I've never actually used it, but I'm pretty sure it should allow you to do what you need!

AppBuilder 5

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Appbuilder 5 can be used for that, but you have to consider, that the speed-values stored in the fit-file are wrong anyway.
The simplest way is to spend about 30 bucks an get the Garmin speedsensor for the front-hub and take the speed from there! (I do it that way)
Cadence comes from the Levo-power, too!

E3C8D096-48D7-4058-82A3-009FB5B1E029.jpeg

Last edited:

ticotime

Jun 20, 2019
Georgetown, TX
Here is another success story for the LSS on a 2019 Turbo Levo Expert. I have two sets of wheels, one with the original 2.6" Butchers for the knarly lumpy limestone, and one set with Schwalbe 2.35" Big Apples for gravel and road. I put the LSS on the Big Apple set. Now when those wheels are on, it is a class 3 ebike (legal here for bike lanes)!
JD_3d, thanks so much for this creative solution! It is so nice to get rid of that bog down feeling at 20mph. I rarely go over 23mph but it is still a terrific improvement to the feel on road rides. I will let you know if there are any wear issues, etc.
20190619_183054.jpg

Last edited:

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Appbuilder 5 can be used for that, but you have to consider, that the speed-values stored in the fit-file are wrong anyway.
The simplest way is to spend about 30 bucks an get the Garmin speedsensor for the front-hub and take the speed from there! (I do it that way)
Cadence comes from the Levo-power, too!

View attachment 15173

Great idea! Tagging @FlatSix in case he didn't see it.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Here is another success story for the LSS on a 2019 Turbo Levo Expert. I have two sets of wheels, one with the original 2.6" Butchers for the knarly lumpy limestone, and one set with Schwalbe 2.35" Big Apples for gravel and road. I put the LSS on the Big Apple set. Now when those wheels are on, it is a class 3 ebike (legal here for bike lanes)!
JD_3d, thanks so much for this creative solution! It is so nice to get rid of that bog down feeling at 20mph. I rarely go over 23mph but it is still a terrific improvement to the feel on road rides. I will let you know if there are any wear issues, etc.

Thanks for the feedback @ticotime! Glad its working great for you. I'd love to have a spare wheelset with a pair of Schwalbe Big Apples as I do quite a bit of road riding on my Levo. Maybe at some point I'll do the same :)

ticotime

Jun 20, 2019
Georgetown, TX
Thanks for the feedback @ticotime! Glad its working great for you. I'd love to have a spare wheelset with a pair of Schwalbe Big Apples as I do quite a bit of road riding on my Levo. Maybe at some point I'll do the same :)
If you do go to build up a second set of wheels get the exact same hubs if you can. Same rotors and cassette also, then you can swap them with no adjustments or fiddling. The bike shop where I got my Levo did this for me and it pays off big time in ease of use.

WarrenB

May 24, 2019
Saint Paul, MN USA
Do you suspect the LSS -2019 DT/TL would fit other DT Swiss hubs and Sram rotors? I would like to try to make one work on a Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay with the DT Swiss 370 hub.

- Warren

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Do you suspect the LSS -2019 DT/TL would fit other DT Swiss hubs and Sram rotors? I would like to try to make one work on a Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay with the DT Swiss 370 hub.

- Warren

Hi @WarrenB. It does seem like the majority of DT Swiss hubs have an external axle diameter of 19mm (which is the critical dimension). I'm working with another member on here with a YT Decoy which happens to have a DT Swiss hub and identical rotors as the Levo so it may be a direct fit for him.

Do you know if your rotors are identical to the Levo's? The retaining ring is specific to that one rotor, so if yours was different you'd need to use the universal mount or screw the ring gear directly to the rotor (by drilling in holes in the rotor) like another forum member did). If you could send me a PM and if you could include any pictures showing the hub/rotor area along with frame clearance I could work with you on seeing if it would fit.

Madk higgins

Jun 5, 2019
London
Hi @Sandy, I finished designing the standard LSS 2.0 which is about 1.2mm thinner overall (for better frame clearance). And that is available here:

LSS Version 2.0 Planetary Gear set by JD_3D on Shapeways

However, I looked at the Levo HT and it looks like it uses different brake rotors, which means the retaining ring won't work with it. So, I'm afraid even this new design won't work with the Levo HT. If you like to tinker or are feeling adventurous you could try it along with the universal brake mount I made here, but I can't guarantee it will work:

Universal Brake Rotor Mount for LSS by JD_3D on Shapeways

I also have the levo HT and would be grateful if anyone can confirm if the above works okay.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Aaaand I can confirm the DT 2.0 snaps right onto the decoy base model with no faff.

Does the noise chill out over time? Or is there any trick to quite it?

View attachment 15389 View attachment 15390

Hey @Nasty Nick, that's awesome that it fits on the YT Decoy! I was worried about frame clearance, but it looks like it fits fine. Have you taken it for a test ride yet and if so, how is the increased speed? Regarding noise, yes I think it will quiet down a bit over time. I do recall one person posting on here that they lightly sanded the small planet gear (the one with the magnet) on each face so that it was smooth, and they said it made things much more quiet.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland

Luis MH

Jun 9, 2019
Alicante, Spain
Hi all,

Luis from Spain with a 2019 Turbo Levo Expert 2 weeks old

First, a million thanks to @jd_3d . I admire the attitude of problem fixing, hats off. We don´t have much of that in Spain, respect!.

I bought the LSS Planetary Gear Set but did not fit my bike as I have the Roval from DT Swiss rear hub (smaller than the one in the video)

So happily I just read the @jd_3d just created the LSS DT Version 2.0 - Planetary Gear Set, so I´m going to buy it and will confirm once installed

Here is a pic of my bike yesterday with LSS Planetary Gear Set, as you can see it does not fits with "Step 5: Slide the sun gear onto the wheel hub. It is important the sun gear fits snugly on the hub and doesn’t rotate"

2019-06-27 19.48.39.jpg

@jd_3d could you please confirm the version 2 is going to work on my 2019 Turbo Levo Expert?

Many thanks !!!

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi all,

Luis from Spain with a 2019 Turbo Levo Expert 2 weeks old

First, a million thanks to @jd_3d . I admire the attitude of problem fixing, hats off. We don´t have much of that in Spain, respect!.

I bought the LSS Planetary Gear Set but did not fit my bike as I have the Roval from DT Swiss rear hub (smaller than the one in the video)

So happily I just read the @jd_3d just created the LSS DT Version 2.0 - Planetary Gear Set, so I´m going to buy it and will confirm once installed

Here is a pic of my bike yesterday with LSS Planetary Gear Set, as you can see it does not fits with "Step 5: Slide the sun gear onto the wheel hub. It is important the sun gear fits snugly on the hub and doesn’t rotate"

View attachment 15410

@jd_3d could you please confirm the version 2 is going to work on my 2019 Turbo Levo Expert?

Many thanks !!!

Hi Luis,

It can get a bit confusing since I have many versions of the LSS for different versions of the Turbo Levo. But basically the main versions are as follows:

LSS Planetary Gear Set - For Base model and Comp/Comp carbon Levos
LSS DT Planetary Gear Set - For Levo Expert and S-Works

LSS Version 2.0 - Same as the original LSS just lower-profile for better clearance. For Base model and Comp/Comp carbon Levos
LSS DT Version 2.0 - Same as the original LSS DT, just lower-profile for better clearance. For Levo Expert and S-Works

Finally I have 2 versions of the LSS for the older generation (2017-2018) Turbo Levos.

Here is the page with all the versions of the LSS:
JD Engineering by JD_3D - Shapeways Shops

So, it sounds like you bought the regular LSS, when you needed the LSS DT. But don't worry, you can get just the 2 parts you need without buying the entire thing again. What you need is the sun gear and cover for the DT wheelset and you can get that here:

LSS Cover / Sun Gear for Levo Expert by JD_3D on Shapeways

Then you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any questions.

Luis MH

Jun 9, 2019
Alicante, Spain
Hi Luis,

It can get a bit confusing since I have many versions of the LSS for different versions of the Turbo Levo. But basically the main versions are as follows:

LSS Planetary Gear Set - For Base model and Comp/Comp carbon Levos
LSS DT Planetary Gear Set - For Levo Expert and S-Works

LSS Version 2.0 - Same as the original LSS just lower-profile for better clearance. For Base model and Comp/Comp carbon Levos
LSS DT Version 2.0 - Same as the original LSS DT, just lower-profile for better clearance. For Levo Expert and S-Works

Finally I have 2 versions of the LSS for the older generation (2017-2018) Turbo Levos.

Here is the page with all the versions of the LSS:
JD Engineering by JD_3D - Shapeways Shops

So, it sounds like you bought the regular LSS, when you needed the LSS DT. But don't worry, you can get just the 2 parts you need without buying the entire thing again. What you need is the sun gear and cover for the DT wheelset and you can get that here:

LSS Cover / Sun Gear for Levo Expert by JD_3D on Shapeways

Then you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for your reply @jd_3d , just to double-check: The LSS DT Version 2.0 - Planetary Gear Set includes the sun gear and cover for the DT wheelset, right?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles