Here is the inside of the focus jam2 battery , may be of interest to some people. Some corrosion starting in the last picture.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hello, is it difficult to remove and refit the Focus Jam2's internal battery?
Thanks
Giacomo
You first have to drop the motor first. I did a frame swap about a year ago and the hardest part is getting the battery back in without pinching cables. Best to pay better attention to which cable gets routed where relative to the battery. I took pics but that didn't help me at all. I spent many hrs trying different routings before I satisfied. I did take the chainring off on one crank arm to get at the motor mounts and the bottom skid plate, electrical connection on the left side and chain all have to come off first. Thought I needed to do more but that's all that's necessary to drop the motor. Like I said putting the battery back in to where you are sure the main electrical wiring loom is not pinched is a bit of a pain.

Giapo

Dec 14, 2020
Italy - Trento
You first have to drop the motor first. I did a frame swap about a year ago and the hardest part is getting the battery back in without pinching cables. Best to pay better attention to which cable gets routed where relative to the battery. I took pics but that didn't help me at all. I spent many hrs trying different routings before I satisfied. I did take the chainring off on one crank arm to get at the motor mounts and the bottom skid plate, electrical connection on the left side and chain all have to come off first. Thought I needed to do more but that's all that's necessary to drop the motor. Like I said putting the battery back in to where you are sure the main electrical wiring loom is not pinched is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for your valuable information, so the hard part of the job is the wiring.
Do you have any pictures of the battery work?
Thank you very much
Giacomo

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Thanks for your valuable information, so the hard part of the job is the wiring.
Do you have any pictures of the battery work?
Thank you very much
Giacomo
I'll look around for those pics. I was able to slip some zip ties thru the battery mounting holes to hold the wiring harness up in place while I slipped the battery in. Even today I'm not that happy with how it routed but no issues after 2500 miles so must be OK. Just look inside on all sides of the battery to make sure you understand how it's routed. I had to do a frame swap because the decals were all cracked. It was warranty but not the labor so did it myself. My pictures are not all that great but will post what I find later today.

OK, you can see that it's a rats nest of wires before you pull the battery out. Only one connection to the battery and then you have the rea brake, shifter and dropper cable. The dropper is easy and gets routed under the motor to the dropper. There's shot with the battery out and you can see the two "vents" up by the stem. I hope these help...not very good.

IMG_4992.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

IMG_5017.JPG

IMG_5019.JPG

IMG_5022.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

Last edited:

Giapo

Dec 14, 2020
Italy - Trento
Thanks again, with the photos I understand the type of work, excellent idea to stop the cables with the clamps, if I do the job I save € 150, the battery ordered from Focus Italia is very late and will arrive in March 2021, due to Covid production in China it is late.
Thanks
Giacomo

Giapo

Dec 14, 2020
Italy - Trento
Hello,
Did someone change the cells inside this internal battery ? Does it work correctly afterwards, no problem with the BMS ?
thanks

I asked 3 Focus battery recycling centers here in Italy, but they told me that if you change the cells, even if they are identical to the original ones, it doesn't work this was the answer:
"the bms is phased on the cells that are mounted in the battery pack, and replacing the cells the bms stops"
If possible, 250 € was enough to get a new battery.
Ciao
Giacomo

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Thanks again, with the photos I understand the type of work, excellent idea to stop the cables with the clamps, if I do the job I save € 150, the battery ordered from Focus Italia is very late and will arrive in March 2021, due to Covid production in China it is late.
Thanks
Giacomo
Yes I saved $250. for the entire frame swap but the biggest part was the battery. The way the main wiring loom goes in is sort of counter intuitive. I would be interested in seeing better pictures of how the cables and wiring go in. The dropper is very easy and it can easily be slid later because it's the one that is not zip tied down to the frame like the shifter and brake cables. The two battery bolts pull the battery to one side of the frame snuggly and you sometimes have to guide them to keep them from being pinched. It's too bad there isn't a separate protected channel for the cables but once the battery is snugged up there is an unprotected channel for the cables at least....but the cables sort of have a mind of their own as to where they want to go, lol.

Giapo

Dec 14, 2020
Italy - Trento
Yes I saved $250. for the entire frame swap but the biggest part was the battery. The way the main wiring loom goes in is sort of counter intuitive. I would be interested in seeing better pictures of how the cables and wiring go in. The dropper is very easy and it can easily be slid later because it's the one that is not zip tied down to the frame like the shifter and brake cables. The two battery bolts pull the battery to one side of the frame snuggly and you sometimes have to guide them to keep them from being pinched. It's too bad there isn't a separate protected channel for the cables but once the battery is snugged up there is an unprotected channel for the cables at least....but the cables sort of have a mind of their own as to where they want to go, lol.

When the battery arrives I will do the work, and document the work with step by step photos. So I make a little brochure, maybe it can be useful here on the forum.

Beesleyboy

Dec 21, 2020
Tr183PZ
Hi Guys, I was wondering if I could build my own battery with different BMS, if I ever needed to, I have built battery's for DIY trike bike and scooters.
But I cant see how the aboriginal BMS knows what cells are in the system.

Willie Yeoh

Dec 30, 2020
Italy
Am I the most unlucky focus jam owner ever?
After my original battery failure at 136 miles new battery ordered and all going well until yesterday.
Guess what, new battery has went tits up at 525 miles!! Same symptoms as before, bike will not switch on or charge, charger fine and all wiring fine.
Am not taking this one appart , hopefully get a warranty claim.
Interesting this battery has developed stress cracks around various casing screw holes.
Talk about a love hate relationship!! ( Hate bike at the moment).
Sounds like you're unluckier than me...I bought my Jam2 from JE James Chesterfield 2.5 years ago and had done 2,500 mile on it, then started getting E10 errors in November having brought the bike with me to Italy. Found a Focus dealer here - they rang Focus, were told to clean the battery contacts and bingo the bike worked. Brought it back to the apartment and started to charge it - Red light appears on charger and (like you) can't switch the bike on either The Italian dealer thinks the battery has had it. Been offered a new battery with 500mA as Focus don't know when they can supply a replacement...

Having read some of the comments in this forum, I'm going non Focus and letting the shop do the work - I'm not as brave as some of you but I'm thankful for the photos of the batteries here.

Beesleyboy

Dec 21, 2020
Tr183PZ
This guy locally (San Diego) is still selling 2 chargers and 3 battery packs for $1200. He was asking $1000. at one time. It might worthwhile to try get him to ship to several of you in dire need of a battery pack. Focus jam2 bold2 electric mountain bike parts - bicycles - by owner...
This is a great deal, I don't need one at the moment, but at that price I would buy them all, keep a loom and a charger then sell the rest, but how do you pay safely on this web sight.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
This is a great deal, I don't need one at the moment, but at that price I would buy them all, keep a loom and a charger then sell the rest, but how do you pay safely on this web sight.
I've bought and sold on craigslist and made payment thru paypal. Lots of sales are local of course but I've shipped a guitar across the country once with good results. To Europe is a bit tougher but if I was without a battery I might try this. You have to contact the seller and see if they are willing to ship to you and the cost. There is a contact option and an email that works thru the craigslist app.

valls2

Mar 2, 2020
girona
[QUOTE = "totrapo69, publicació: 258074, membre: 14665"]
algú bo té una bateria de focus jam2 danyada per poder comprar i fer experiments .gràcies
[/ CITA]

[ES]
Hola,
Yo tengo una batería interna averiada de 378 wh.
La cambié hace un mes. La batería tiene la electrónica averiada (con un led encendido).
La vendo per 100 euros

[EN]
I have a damaged internal battery of 378 wh.
I changed it a month ago. The electronic of the battery is also damaged (there is one led on).
I sell it for 100 euros.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 23.05.45 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 23.05.45 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 23.05.45 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 23.05.45 (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 23.05.45.jpeg

Lencho

May 23, 2018
Franklin, TN
I have a 2018 jam2 here in the U.S.. Battery replaced under warranty right at 24 months. With Focus pulling out of the USA, and knowing these battery fail, I started to inquire about getting another internal battery to have on hand to keep peace of mind while I enjoy the bike I love (various upgrades to suspension, brakes and drive train). This would allow me to feel better about keeping it longer if I had access to a backup internal battery. Focus finally responded (numerous emails) with an email to their USA Warranty/Service Dept. asking them to help me. They then responded saying how can we help? Then all communication has stopped, with both sources copied on the follow up emails!!

Went to plan B to see if I could get my first warranty battery that I still have rebuilt. Inquired at Hi-C Battery out of California and got this response:
Unfortunately the Focus Jam2 battery cannot be rebuilt. The electronic BMS inside locks up when you attempt to remove power from it and the battery will no longer work even with new cells installed.

We would be happy to take your broken battery for research purposes if your just going to throw it out.

Very uncertain how or if another internal battery can be secured here in the US. Have the external battery, too, but when my first battery went bad, it shut the bike down so that the still functional external battery becomes useless. Sad...

At this point I guess I just have to ride it till it dies, again, and then spend the high cost to get a new bike. No more internal batteries for me! And, if I stay with the Shimano motors, which I like, the battery will be Shimano, as well. Having Shimano's support for both battery and motor is key for me, now. Feel like I've pissed in the wind buying a Focus. Focus sucks (not their bikes, the company's support).

Beesleyboy

Dec 21, 2020
Tr183PZ
I have a 2018 jam2 here in the U.S.. Battery replaced under warranty right at 24 months. With Focus pulling out of the USA, and knowing these battery fail, I started to inquire about getting another internal battery to have on hand to keep peace of mind while I enjoy the bike I love (various upgrades to suspension, brakes and drive train). This would allow me to feel better about keeping it longer if I had access to a backup internal battery. Focus finally responded (numerous emails) with an email to their USA Warranty/Service Dept. asking them to help me. They then responded saying how can we help? Then all communication has stopped, with both sources copied on the follow up emails!!

Went to plan B to see if I could get my first warranty battery that I still have rebuilt. Inquired at Hi-C Battery out of California and got this response:
Unfortunately the Focus Jam2 battery cannot be rebuilt. The electronic BMS inside locks up when you attempt to remove power from it and the battery will no longer work even with new cells installed.

We would be happy to take your broken battery for research purposes if your just going to throw it out.

Very uncertain how or if another internal battery can be secured here in the US. Have the external battery, too, but when my first battery went bad, it shut the bike down so that the still functional external battery becomes useless. Sad...

At this point I guess I just have to ride it till it dies, again, and then spend the high cost to get a new bike. No more internal batteries for me! And, if I stay with the Shimano motors, which I like, the battery will be Shimano, as well. Having Shimano's support for both battery and motor is key for me, now. Feel like I've pissed in the wind buying a Focus. Focus sucks (not their bikes, the company's support).

This is Sh#t, I hate that sort of thing, you just end up banging your head ageist a wall.
I have a focus jam2 and i'm not looking forward to when I need to go through this.
it shows that these companies only care before you buy the bikes, I would put it on any bit of social media possibly and make a negative YouTube video about it.
Relay feel for you buddy.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
This is Sh#t, I hate that sort of thing, you just end up banging your head ageist a wall.
I have a focus jam2 and i'm not looking forward to when I need to go through this.
it shows that these companies only care before you buy the bikes, I would put it on any bit of social media possibly and make a negative YouTube video about it.
Relay feel for you buddy.
I too have a 2018 jams in the States. That is really strange about removing power. I don't understand why they would even consider that or why the bike doesn't go dead when you run the battery down. I guess you always have a bit of power (voltage) available in that case but it's very strange. If we could determine which line is feeding the BMS power maybe we could rig something up? Std BMS board don't do that to my knowledge and it's intentional on their part to prevent re-building?

I'm currently learning to make battery packs (welding, etc). I am using a range extender for 80-90% of my rides that satisfies much of the power (sometimes all) in order to extend my battery life out to maybe 10 years. My external pack is 250 wH and only adds 2 3/4 lbs to the bike. Maybe you can get someone here to purchase pack for you in GB or Europe and ship it to you? I know there were 3 packs for sale on craigslist here ($1200) and someone bought them recently (probably from this list since I posted here about them). Maybe that person will sell one to you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles