Help –Decoy partly starts but won't turn off?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Similar problems here. As others have said, removing the battery and letting it dry helped. I also tape up the sides of the downtube with electrical tape to stop water getting in.

Now the "only" problem I have now is the motor dies for no apparent reason whilst riding. Does this about 10-15 times whilst riding. I can still turn it back on again, but then it dies again. I'm booked into a Shimano service centre in two weeks time. Loving the bike apart from the battery issues.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Maybe a suggestion for those who note water and dirt behind their batteries. I am not sure why more people don't do this .. especially the bike washing people (like me :))

Just buy some 3m clear plastic film and seal off the seam between the battery and the frame interface. I took my battery off last winter for storage and there was zero dirt in behind .. looked brand new.

Easy to do and cheap (y) ... this seam is not used for cooling as its "lipped" behind to keep as much dirt and water out .. but evidently some still gets behind based on users comments.

Simple fix to seal the battery (y)

3m seal decoy.png

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I had the issues of bike would not turn on after a wash happened on 2 occasions so I removed the battery an dried it all out, left the battery off for a while an it all worked but I was not gonna be happy doin this every time I wash it, so with a clean bike I removed battery used dielectric grease on battery terminals an used acf50 on all the wiring screen contacts switch’s. I did not like the gap between the battery an frame so I used 3mm 3m self adhesive closed cell foam an made a gasket to fit around the battery. I can say I ain’t had any issues with it turning on since, I clean it after every ride (with a hose pipe) live in the Rhondda vallys South Wales it’s very wet an muddy an I can not just leave a bike filthy
Sounds interesting, do you have any pictures of your gasket?

I Grabbed a screen shot after today's ride to show all is back to normal (y)
View attachment 29063

Finally got round to
Taking a picture of the gasket/seal I made if I done it agin I use 5mm instead of 3mm for a tighter fit but it still seals ok
IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
FYI: Follow up on my original post below.
I sent email to YT (USA) with explanation of the problem. YT responded promptly with a question to confirm the type of the problem and asked me to fill out warranty form. After a day or two the warranty was approved and I was told that a new battery will be mailed as soon as available. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not have to ship the bike or drive to YT rep. Battery showed up today and everything is fine with the world again :)

Have the same issue again. This time nothing seems to work. Display stays stuck in logo. Everything cleaned, dried, reassembled few times. Annoying. Time to get in touch with YT

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I sent email to YT (USA) with explanation of the problem. YT responded promptly with a question to confirm the type of the problem and asked me to fill out warranty form. After a day or two the warranty was approved and I was told that a new battery will be mailed as soon as available. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not have to ship the bike or drive to YT rep. Battery showed up today and everything is fine with the world again :)

Have the same issue again. This time nothing seems to work. Display stays stuck in logo. Everything cleaned, dried, reassembled few times. Annoying. Time to get in touch with YT

Happy days mate glad u got it sorted an it’s working

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein

WTF!! YT USA is obviously much more customer friendly than YT Germany. I have to send the bike in with the same problem despite longer discussions with YT customer service.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Don't be confused!! Whilst you can get a special Silver conductive grease, most greases..and specifically including Lithium grease are dialectric. So coating the contacts in Lithium grease effectively prevents any conductivity between connections!! That is why I suggested using IPA to get rid of it and then use a proper electrical cleaner which not only displaces water but also ensures the contacts are free of contaminants or corrosion.

@Mikerb - I talked to Andreas in YT Support and while he did agree that Dielectric grease is non-conductive, he said they do recommend it's use directly on metal connectors to prevent corrosion or moisture from building up (e.g. the finned connectors). He said just not to use too much and that it does improve the connection's reliability. I asked if YT had any TSB with pics for specific spots and they don't yet so looks like the forums are the best resource!

Do you use any Dielectric grease yourself, or do you just use isopropanol?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I only use contact cleaner....and only very occasionally. I am not familiar with the type of connector used on the YT but if it is a pin type then the contacts in effect wipe when connected and that is probably enough to remove any grease layeryou apply on each pin and enable an electrical contact. So all that is happening in effect is that the grease applied is pushed to the base of each pin. Since it is dialectric it causes not problem there in terms of providing a short across the pins. If that grease becomes contaminated with dirt or dust however, that is a different story. My preference is to apply nothing to electric contacts other than contact cleaner to ensure a clean metal to metal contact with least resistance but to externally protect the contact from dirt and water ingress. How you do that will vary with different connectors. On my levo which uses a magnetic connector I use silicone lube on the "O" ring seal and grease on the mateing face. I also made a neoprene cover fixed with velcro. On most bikes I have sern that have an external charging point/battery protection the degree of protection is woeful and likely to lead to problems in wet conditions or when washing the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles