Hello there! Looking for new emtb

Which to chose

• Total voters

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Hi, just joining in here, looking for a new emtb at this point.

There is a bad stigma around here in my country (NL) for emtb's but I've overcome this and really enjoy it to extent my MTB experience. I've ridden/rented the Focus Jam2 size 29" L (I'm 190cm tall) in Germany (Winterberg trails) for a day and liked it! At this point I ride a Kona Precept 150 and for the heavier stuff I ride a YT Tues 2.0 on the downhill tracks (Winterberg bike-park/Les Gets/Chatel/Morzine).

So.. I got addicted to the emtb for the trails/singletracks and looking for the right price and bike/parts. Have seen *every* YouTube video of emtbs... The Levo (2019) was on my list until I saw the pricing. That's a lot (read: to much) money for a emtb IMO. Yes, I agree.. It looks like a fantastic bike but is above my league. Basicly got it down to two three models:

- YT Decoy (base)
- Propain Ekano e-MTB (thanks to @Zimmerframe for reminding this bike)
- Focus Jam2 6.7/6.8/6.9 Shimano

I'm kind off leaning to the YT Decoy because of the the good experience with my YT Tues. The Tues never failed on me and does everything what I ask it to do when riding it. Though I'm scared of ordering a bike from the internet that I've never driven (or even seen IRL) before.
Who is willing to share his/her experience? Anybody in NL or even Belgium/Germany that owns a YT Decoy and is willing to show his/her YT to me IRL? I have no issues taking a drive to you! Maybe @zilh ?

The battery of the Focus Jam2 isn't that great but I'm liking the extra battery pack option. Thats a + side for the Focus. Also it's not a mixed wheel size, it's full 29".

And can the Decoy keep up with the 27.5" rear compared to 29" speed wise? Doesn't it feel strange with mixed wheel combo?

Any other suggestions?

I know, lots of questions, sorry!

Edit:
Actually love the idea of the Propain customisation). can't tell if it's possible if I can test drive this bike, need to look in to that.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Welcome ! :)

If you like the Levo, don't rule it out on price alone. Just reading around on here there are good discounts to be found on them especially if you're willing to buy on the internet + with potential new models/colours out soon there are more 2019 bikes being discounted to clear stock. I think @khorn found one at a good price, you could try messaging him for more information or just have a long slow patient search.

Keep in mind delivery times. If you want a Decoy it looks like you're waiting until September at the earliest. It looks like you prefer the internal battery bikes, so as well as all the other mainsteam brands there's the Propane which popped back in the discussions last night. (lots of customisation of options when ordering and approximately 25 days delivery)

Propain eMTB - EMTB Forums

Last edited:

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Thank you for the information.

If the Levo is available with a decent price then yes, that is definitely an option. Although it doesn't really matter to me if it's AL or CF, I do fee lI'm not getting a good deal if I went for the Levo AL version at the same price for a Decoy CF version.

And you are right, I'm leaning to a internal battery version.

I'll look in to the Propain! haven't seen it yet.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I am running both a Levo Comp and a Scott eGenius. I would say for the type of trails you are running the Scott would be a wicked weapon. While I have not had the chance to ride the Levo on all the trails I have been with the Scott I do think it has several advantages.
The geometry makes it perfect for bombing down high-speed chutes where the Levo does feel a little nervous at times. I also think the Shimano 4 pot brakes have far better modulation over the Sram 4 pot units which even with pad changes do not have the nice feel of the Shimano. I think this is probably due to the Shimano being a single pressure system where the Sram has 2 pressures with a bleed-off that maybe gives slightly better maximum performance at the loss of feel. I also have a preference for the Fox suspension over the Rockshox but that is not so much a performance thing but have had several failed rockshox units over the years and also prefer a system where the shock that can be swapped out for another brand if desired which is a pain with the Levo.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Read the threads on here about poor YT customer service before you make a decision in favour of the Decoy. Also read the thread on Focus battery charging problems (use a 4amp charger, not the 4.5Amp version). And to be fair, also read the many threads on problems with the Speccy emtbs.

Wadders

May 20, 2019
Woking
Read the threads on here about poor YT customer service before you make a decision in favour of the Decoy. Also read the thread on Focus battery charging problems (use a 4amp charger, not the 4.5Amp version). And to be fair, also read the many threads on problems with the Speccy emtbs.
YT customer service is nothing short of appalling....... Just canceled my order.

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
I'm having contact with Propain at this point.. Never knew it was German and I'm possibly up for a drive to Germany within the next two or three weeks to test-drive the Ekano thanks to @Zimmerframe .

- 150/150mm
- 29" front + rear
- Internal battery
- looks (it's personal, I know)
- Reasonable prices

Just checking on the battery capacity... Official Shimano website says 405 Wh for the E8035 internal battery that the Ekano has. Other websites refer the 8035 as 504 Wh.. Pretty confusing.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I'm having contact with Propain at this point.. Never knew it was German and I'm possibly up for a drive to Germany within the next two or three weeks to test-drive the Ekano thanks to @Zimmerframe .

- 150/150mm
- 29" front + rear
- Internal battery
- looks (it's personal, I know)
- Reasonable prices

Just checking on the battery capacity... Official Shimano website says 405 Wh for the E8035 internal battery that the Ekano has. Other websites refer the 8035 as 504 Wh.. Pretty confusing.
All websites include typos, no extra charge. If i look at the Canadian french than english than USA info is rarely all the same, never trust but the 504 is a standard so probably correct.

Wadders

May 20, 2019
Woking
All websites include typos, no extra charge. If i look at the Canadian french than english than USA info is rarely all the same, never trust but the 504 is a standard so probably correct.
Propain was my next option but again they have a long wait sept/Oct but I guess the 2020 bikes. So if you patient then YT or propain are grt. I Rode the decoy and it was amazing...... But lack of service worried me. And besides I'm not patient at all. Maybe next time YT.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles