Giant Trance E+ Sudden Off!!

Browna41

Mar 15, 2019
Dorking
Something I shouldn't be doing one month old bike I have decided to change the bike now just means sending it back. Its a shame its a great handling bike but only a latch holding the battery in place seems to be inadequate and is a flawed design. I am very frustrated with its a lovely bike but that just seems an ongoing problem and water ingress might be a future problem. The rear hub is also failing so very disappointed.

andykent

Mar 12, 2019
Oetz, Austria
Battery is a known problem i believe. Happened to me and a friends bike, contacted Giant and they are sending a spacer for underneath the battery contacts. Should hopefully sort it.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Battery isnt the problem its the controller... my original stance kept turning off and they assumed it was battery related eventually they replaced the bike... new bike has been fine on the latest mk3 controller...

Major Major

Sep 24, 2018
Krakow, Poland
I had something similar happen, although manifested in a slightly different way. I was on a ride with my pal and we stopped for a minute to sit down and chill. I left the bike switched on (with three dots of range left) and laid it down on its left side. Once we decided to push on, I picked the bike up (it was still showing as on) and within a few yards I realised there was no support from the motor at all. Like I said, it was showing as being on.

I switched the bike off with the off switch, and then tried to switch it back on - but the bike refused to come on again. I pressed all button configurations I could think of, pressed power down for 20 secs etc. and nothing happened. In the end I had to pedal a dead bike home through around 5 miles of terrain, so I was a bit nonplussed. Don't know if it's bad for the bike but I stopped caring. The bike had only done 40 miles or so, it's still due for initial checkup so I'm not worried.

I came home, took the battery out, put it back in and the bike came on like nothing had happened. Don't know if it's loose battery connections, or what specifically. I will carry battery keys with me for all rides now.

All in all that's just not what you want from a brand new bike, especially for this kind of money. Otherwise, I'm still chuffed with it, even getting used to the saddle.

Browna41

Mar 15, 2019
Dorking
Yeah I agree its a nice bike but I am put off by it tbh so it's going back tomorrow have to post it. I will see about getting a different bike shame as it handles so well

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
My E +2 has had the same issue. The battery shim was installed and haven't had the issue since. I also had the issue with the freehub, which was replaced, and haven't had another issue yet. IMO, all of these new E-bikes have problems. Read through the other brand forums and you see the same thing. Battery issues, power issues, motor noise, hub issues..... I agree, for the money that we spend we expect these bikes to be perfect however it is new technology and, like it or not, we are beta testers. On top of that, most bike shops are not prepared to work on the electronic side of these bikes. They have no clue what the hell to do in most cases and in my experience, they don't really seem too excited to even have to mess with these bikes. TBH, I have considered selling mine a few times already but at the end of the day, this thing is too much of a blast to get rid of. I'm fairly certain the models that we have now will be antiquated in a year or two as the newer tech that is lighter and more compact comes to market. Ultimately, for me, I wanted a reputable bike brand with a shop close to me, and that rides and handles well and is good value for the money. I think the Giant checks those boxes.

20190203_153213.jpg

andykent

Mar 12, 2019
Oetz, Austria
I just fitted the shim on my battery this afternoon. Hopefully that will be it all sorted. Took it for a ride before i put the shim in and it didnt cut out once. Other than the battery issue i am super happy with the bike. Got the Trance 0 and has a DT Swiss rear hub so should hopefully bypass that problem.

Overall love the bike, just find it hard to get the motivation to get out on the Reign occasionally and do a 'normal' bike ride!!!!

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
I just fitted the shim on my battery this afternoon. Hopefully that will be it all sorted. Took it for a ride before i put the shim in and it didnt cut out once. Other than the battery issue i am super happy with the bike. Got the Trance 0 and has a DT Swiss rear hub so should hopefully bypass that problem.

Overall love the bike, just find it hard to get the motivation to get out on the Reign occasionally and do a 'normal' bike ride!!!!
As said months ago mine was repeatedly cutting out and turning off!! After being in the shop 3 times giant uk replaced the whole bike.. with the new mk3 controller fitted and no battery shims so Giant presume its a controller fault and mine never got wet!!

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
just to update all, i have received a spacer from Giant and reply from them.. see attached for more details.. havent test fit yet..
IMG-20190412-WA0003.jpg

Attachments

• MY19 Integrated battery connector Spacer SOP 20190131.pdf
    861.4 KB · Views: 1,557

Browna41

Mar 15, 2019
Dorking
My problem has come back so its going back :rolleyes:
Finally got my bike back after 2 month's with a new controller, the bike shop didn't fit the shim in the connection terminal after some heated discussions about it. I gave up in the end took the bike back after 3 rides same problem. I'll try and get them to send a shim, fingers crossed it's that. I am so tired of it now ? such a nice bike

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi!

do you have any video showing how to adjust the battery lock, please? Mine is not shutting down but the battery is loose and can be pushed a bit after locked in, and when unlocking it is dropping off without pressing the release switch.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Browna41

Mar 15, 2019
Dorking
My bike is being replaced now for the same model trance e+3 pro so giving giant another go but apprehensive.. Really not sure if I am doing the right thing here

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I Fixed it very easily. No need to remove the whole mechanism. Just loosen the two external bolts of the lock (if you unscrew too much, the metal plate behind the frame will fall down and you need to insert it again), let the mechanism fall down with the battery inserted, and tighten the bolts again. Now it is secured and it does not fall down anymore when using the key. It works just as the video shown.

Thanks for all the comments in this thread, you saved my bike again!

bobgbmx

Jul 28, 2019
craryville ny
Something I shouldn't be doing one month old bike I have decided to change the bike now just means sending it back. Its a shame its a great handling bike but only a latch holding the battery in place seems to be inadequate and is a flawed design. I am very frustrated with its a lovely bike but that just seems an ongoing problem and water ingress might be a future problem. The rear hub is also failing so very disappointed.
I have a 2019 Giant Stance e and after 6 months battery started shutting off. New motor was put in but one week later back to shutting off. Then I remembered something I read on here about unlocking battery then slam it closed and it solved the problem for now.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Interesting topic as my battery had connection issues.

I don't suppose you guys have an archive with these Giant Recall / Update documents in do you?

Browna41

Mar 15, 2019
Dorking
I have a 2019 Giant Stance e and after 6 months battery started shutting off. New motor was put in but one week later back to shutting off. Then I remembered something I read on here about unlocking battery then slam it closed and it solved the problem for now.
I had too many problems with mine and gave up and got a different emtb

Gutcheck

Aug 18, 2019
San Diego
Hi. First post here just wanted to throw my hat in as I am having the power off issue as well. I’ve had the shim installed and the battery is now in there so tight I can’t remove it, the key won’t even turn. It’s been back to giant three times. I got it back and rode a 25 mile loop with no issues and then yesterday around mile 15 it started again. Really frustrated with this.

Did they change anything in 2020? The new reign line looks a little different in the bottom housing to me but I can’t tell for sure....

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
Mine did this out of the blue so took a Q-tip to the battery prongs on the bike after checking all the usual and after a few dirty Q-tips finally came clean and no issues since. Found it best to pull the Q-tip between each prong for the cleaning...

Gutcheck

Aug 18, 2019
San Diego
Just had another terrible constant cut out ride this time with a red light flashing occasionally on a full charge. Bike is back at LBS for the fourth time. Is it a weight limit thing? I’m not small 240lbs on an xl frame.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
just to update all, i have received a spacer from Giant and reply from them.. see attached for more details.. havent test fit yet.. View attachment 13867
Thanks for that pdf, am sorting the spacer under warranty and shop is saying they have to drop motor to fit and the labour cost isn't covered under warranty as stated in the Owners manual......kind of annoyed that any costs come from a warranty claim that is manufacturer fault and that spacer must be fitted by authorized dealer.....

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Gutcheck, the Reign bikes have slacker enduro/downhill geometry and longer travel suspension, made for going fast downhill. Totally different to the Trance range which are for climbing and trail riding with long chainstays.

All 2020 bikes now have the new 6 sensor yamaha system based on the PW-X2 motor instead of the 4 sensor PW-X on the 2019 models. I believe the battery hasn't changed.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Just had another terrible constant cut out ride this time with a red light flashing occasionally on a full charge. Bike is back at LBS for the fourth time. Is it a weight limit thing? I’m not small 240lbs on an xl frame.
That might be a different problem. The blinking red light is likely the sensor/dongle not reading. I get the same when the magnet on the spoke isn't inline with the sensor.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I've been having the same issue but at irregular intervals. On a long technical ride I might have no issues but then commuting to work, it cuts out 3-4 times. I took the battery out and noticed the pins where dusty so I did the ol' nintendo trick and blew my lungs out. popped the battery back in and it was fine. might get the battery shim if it's at no cost to me.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
I've been having the same issue but at irregular intervals. On a long technical ride I might have no issues but then commuting to work, it cuts out 3-4 times. I took the battery out and noticed the pins where dusty so I did the ol' nintendo trick and blew my lungs out. popped the battery back in and it was fine. might get the battery shim if it's at no cost to me.
Mines off to shop today, was getting shim done due to the sudden off prob, rode in rain yesterday and now cant turn bike off....Giant NZ warranty is parts only and have to be fitted by authorized dealers....labour costs on on me....not a happy camper.....I did buy bike out of town which isn't helping but would think a known fault shouldn't cost anything if using authorized dealers.......never heard of parts only warranties before....and also have noticed mine is a 1 yr warranty but 2020 bikes are 2 yrs on electrics ?

Gutcheck

Aug 18, 2019
San Diego

They will give you a shim at no cost but it didn’t help me. So far my new bike hasn’t powered off after 60 miles....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles